Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 20, 2004, 8:57 AM   #11

As best as I can explain it the camera uses the pre-flash to gauge its settings....not sure why two would ever be needed though. Perhaps for anti red-eye? My camera does several more pulses in the red-eye mode.

Anyway what the switch setting does is to tell the Vivitar to ignore either one or two pre-flashes....so it counts and waits for the main flash.

In the test/off position the flash is off once is has test flashed once, it will not fire again.

You are right...in a room of folks using flash the Vivitar is just as likely to fire off at another persons camera flashing. You need to turn it off unless needed.

One thing I like about the Vivitar is its sensitivity. (Previously I'd tried the Sony slave flash and it was quite hard to get that to fire in brighter light)

It does mean that even if you hould your hand overthe Vivitarfor a moment when someone else is using a camera it will still fire.

A small price to pay for its usefulness to me.

By the way I'm using Panasonic AAAPro+ rechargeables in it, far quicker recycle time and after 50 shots on one charge no sign of the recycle slowing up.

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 9:44 AM   #12

So basically all I will ever need is to put it on the 1 setting (since I usually don't use anti red eye). But what is the point of setting up the camera 1 meter away and then taking picturesin all of the settings to find the overexposed one. It says I am ment to keep that setting which is number 3, but I only need number 1! :?I am so confused. And everytime I have it switched on and do not need to use the flash, when I switch it off the flash goes off before switching the power down. I only got the camera this morning and I really appreciate your help David.
sanityfallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 2:15 PM   #13

Well do you know for certain if your camera has pre-flash and how many? This is not related to the anti red-eye.

If you try the test taking pictures of the flash it will be the setting where you see the flash firing that is right for your setup.

The flash is supposed to go off every time you turn it off.

David
Old Jul 21, 2004, 4:38 AM   #14

I'm not sure how to find out how many pre flashes my camera has. I took my camera and the Vivitar out today for a test run. Sometimes the vivitar turned out really bright and clear, but other times it was even worser and darker than my cameras ordinary flash. I think there may be something wrong with the Vivitar unit or maybe I just havent set it up properly becauseI am unsure of the pre flashes.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 6:42 AM   #15

Try this...

Should you be unaware of how many pre-flashes your camera has put the Vivitar on a table facing the camera and take an image with the flash switched to each of its positions in turn. The correct one is where your image shows the Vivitar flashing back at you.

Then use that setting on the flash every time.

David

Old Jul 22, 2004, 1:42 PM   #16

Using a Cyber-shot P5 on full optical zoom (I have the digital zoom turned off) in a large room with below average lighting will the DF20 or the FSL1B reach a subject 20ft away. If not, what would their ranges be. I have been unable to get any firm info on this. Thanks.
ilv50s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:13 AM   #17

Hi. I think I've realised that my camera may have different pre flashes since it automatically adjusts the ISO and White Balance at different levels, which is why the flash sets off at different times. Does anyone know if I can set the settings at a set setting so that the flash will definately flash off at a certain time? I have the ISO on 100 and White Balance on Daylight. The only other thing is the Aperature which is on auto. Just a reminder, I'm using the Casio Exilim EX-P600.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 2:39 AM   #18

Are you saying you've done the test taking images of the Vivitar at different settings and it is variable as to which position shows it firing in the picture??

David
Old Jul 23, 2004, 12:25 PM   #19

I've positioned the vivitar and the camera correctly, 1 meter apart and sometimes the flashing vivitar is seen and sometimes it isn't. It varies depending on the settings of the camera and the light in the room. THere seems to be no 100% set way for my camera and the vivitar to fire at the exact same time...