Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 5, 2004, 5:49 PM   #1

I'm novice in world of digital cameras, but I know (something) what is good or bad picture in terms of colors..sharpness..etc.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I've got my w1 fora few days. Problems!!??

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"30-40% of all pictures are always blurry and out of focus. That is too much for me. I call this camera point & shoot & blur. (What is purpose of catching those one life moments whit this ''speed demon'' when pictures are out of focus and blurry??) This is mistery to me..one shot is ok, next one-the same shot- out out of focus.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I know how to hold it still and (for now) most of the times I put my w1 on table or chair.or.. something....blurryyy. I've got this ''hand shake signal on LCD'' most of the times..even on table or chair. Help!!!!! Advice-suggestion??

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"but.....speed, bulid, battery life...excellent. Pictures which are properly expose and get ''right'' focus are very good or excellent ( somethimes they are not as sharp as I want to, soI fix them with photoshop).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Lvky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2004, 7:43 PM   #2

Hi, Lvky,

First, I give a wildguess, you (orsomebody else) didn't drop camera ever.

Then I think your W1 has absolutely clean lenses.

Set AF ModetoMonitor and AF Illuminator to Auto in Setup.

If problem exists, you should use another unit of same W1 for experimentto make sure of just your camera's failure.

As for me, I have got blurry and out of focus shotsveryrarely - when accidental hands shaking (especially if zooming) orlong exposure.

I callmy camera point & shoot & well done!
Good luck!

Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 8:18 PM   #3

My wild guess...

Do you see a little "flower" icon in the lower left corner of your LCD display? If you do, your camera is set up to take closeup pictures. Press the "right arrow" to remove it.
datoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 1:43 PM   #4

No , my setings are ok. (for AF asist lamp,and close up pictures ...and I've change almost every single 'set up' mode thing)...still lots of blurry pictures. What about this shaking hand simbol??????(evenwhen I putw1 on table or chair). I' ve got it on almost every Mode...it really confuse me...even when pictures are great, I've got this simbol..(but mostly my pictures are still uot of focus).
Old Jul 6, 2004, 2:17 PM   #5

Maybe it's because of incorrect exposure (ISO, EV correction is OK?), therefore you see "palm" on screen. Or problems with automatic exposure settings.

What about using manual settings (exposure & hole)?

Your camera is strange. Russians have a proverb «В семье не без урода», that means ~ every family may havea fright. In your case, that sounds as you might have got just one bad camera from million.

I'dconsult Sony's service bureau...
Old Jul 6, 2004, 4:02 PM   #6

hmm ..I think that are lots of bad units of w1 out there,(I readthat all of the time)and they return it ...and they are happy with theirnew unit...such a bad thing from sony.. but ..first I need to explore the whole camera...every single mode and button I will try to push...and then If are results are still bad..I wil try to return..But what should Isay to my salesman???..hey big guy, I' ve got40-50% blurry and out of focus pictures with this unit...give me another one.!!!! .grrrrr. :P
Old Jul 6, 2004, 6:28 PM   #7

what do you have have the flash set to? If the flash is set to off or slow synchro and there isn't an abundance of ambient light the shakey hand symbol will always appears. I was using my W1 on the automatic setting taking pictures of our dogs. Due to them hardly ever keeping still the hand symbol would appear now and again due to the camera struggling to focus on their rapid movement so some of the shots were a bit blurry, the majority were very good though. I didn't try any of the manual settings to compare.I think I might try again tommorow but using the manual setting withthe camera set to the quickest shutter setting.
scooby snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 7:31 PM   #8

Does the hand symbol show up even in bright outdoor sunlight? Do your pictures look blurry even when using a flash indoors? If you've turned off your flash, don't expect indoor shots to look good at all unless you use a tripod and your subject is relatively still. This camera is going to blur in low light, just like a film camera would with 100 ISO film in it. Indoor shots almost always require a flash.

You mentioned your pictures being blurry even when on a table or chair. Did you just push the button down or did you set the timer on the camera to take the picture? If you just pushed the button and no timer, then the very act of your finger touching the camera during the shot could shake or vibrate the camera and cause a blurry picture (especially when not using a tripod). I've tried the timer function and it works great when you don't want to take the time to properly attach the camera to a tripod.

There's one thing I can say for certain. If you find that your camera shots are blurry even in bright sunlight with no clouds in the middle of the afternoon on Program or Auto with the Macro turned off, then it's safe to say that your camera is defective.
Elvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:07 PM   #9

Hmmm.... I thought....

At the bottom of camera there's "Reset" hole-button.

Maybe you would try to reset camera?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:04 PM   #10

I know this is pretty basic but, are you pressiing the shutter release button halfway to allow the camera to lock on to the focus, aperature and shutter speed settings before completely pressing the shutter release button. This is the most common gap in a newbie's knowledge when they pick up a new (to them) digital camera especially if it has been a while since they were involved in photography.

Some of these shutter release buttons are pretty sensitive so you may not have noticed (or read the manual) to realize that this is a necessity when taking a picture. I will often "halfway press" the shutter button several times before I get a "lock" that I am happy with.

Sorry if this seems too simple but, I've had to explain all this to many people; especially those who have only used a film SLR with a "match needle" system of years gone by.
peterboy is offline   Reply With Quote