Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 7, 2004, 10:47 AM   #1

Hi I'm about to buy my first digital camera, and i'v been considering 3 models actually. the w1, the p100 and the T1.

After reading various reviews, the i got turned of by the T1, because the image quality isnt that good. (on a side note, any news if they made any improvements with the T11? ie take better shots?)

Anyway, since this will be my first digicam im looking for a compact cam which i can carry around with me all the time. So size/pocketability is really a big factor. But image quality is also a top factor. (thats why i'm not considering the optio s4i or the t1 anymore)

I like the w1 in terms of features and it seems like it has the right amount of manual modes for me to fiddle around with in case i start getting becoming more enthusiastic about photography. My main problem is its thickness. I've held it and it seems quite big, i dont know whther i can carry it around with me all the time. Which leads me the P100. Which is a bit thinner.

My question is feature wise, and image quality wise, is there a big difference between the two? Would it be wise to get a P100 instead of the W1?
sane11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2004, 12:25 PM   #2

They are both roughly the same price depending on where you purchase from, maybe the W1 might come up a bit cheaper. The P100 is very slim compared to the W1, but I am still glad I chose my W1.
Other guys will probably inform you of more advantages, but the only ones I can think of right now is that the flash is directly over the lens, so less red eye. Also the P100 uses a proprietory battery, and regardless of the type, the Sony chargers will take long so you will very likely want an extra set. 7 will buy you a new set of AA batteries for the W1, rather than 60 odd for the P100s.

Any more for any more?

Thanks Simon
scar_ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 3:03 PM   #3

thanks for the reply,

The AA batteries are definitely a plus.
But i also think its reason why the W1 is sorta on the thick side.

Is the portability of the W1 an issue? I feel its kind of fat. And it might not fit into my pockets. Maybe its a psychological thing, because it was sat next to a T1 in the store i tried it out, but its hard not to compare the thickness. I've always had a bias for thin gadgets.
Maybe i dont have my priorities straight. heh. You guys change my mind.

Regarding the manual settings, how do the p100 and W1 compare? on the spec sheets they seem exactly the same.

Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 3:10 PM   #4

Unless you like to wear tight jeans, you should have no problem putting a W1 in your pocket. I've had no problems at all with its portability.
Elvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 3:39 AM   #5

A very important difference is that the P100 has a Sports/Fast Shutter mode, the W1 doesn't.

If you want to take images of kids, animals or anything that isn't static this is a huge advantage.

The W1 has a manual mode that will allow setting of a fast shutter speed but it requires concentration on the screen icons. Also if you set a manual shutter speed for a subject and then the light changes (like a cloud comes over, sun comes out or subject moves into shade) the exposure will need resetting. This is more than a nuisance as you usually need a fast shutter for something that is moving and you can't say "hold on a moment while I reset the camera"!

With the P100 you just twist a dial to select the fast shutter and the camera sets the exposure automatically as normal...but always biased to a faster shutter speed.

About a month ago I bought the forerunner of the P100, a P10. I was very keen on waiting for a W1 but this fast shutter issuewas one of the main things that put me off it.

No disrespect to W1s, they are a great camera as long as you don't need easy access to a setting to freeze action.

The battery issue is a fair point. My camera, like the P100, takes the expensiveInfoLithium battery. There is a easy way round this though. Sony sell a P120 model that is the P100 in black with an extra battery and neat leather case included. The extra cost over the P100 is oftenfarless than the extracost of buying a second battery at the same time. In the UK my similarP12 outfit (P10 with same extras)cost about the same extraas a Sony leather case, the second battery and limited edition colour came free!

By the way the position of the flash over the lens on the W1 shouldn't be an issue with red-eye. The closer the flash is to the lens the more red-eye. You will see the P100 flash is a fair bit away from the lens to the right as you look through the viewfinder. The issue with this isn't so much red-eye as thatyou can see a flash shadow to the left of the subject using the P100 because of this offset.

My P10 is exactly the same and I'm OK with it. Never gets really noticeable unless there is a wall or similar close behind the subject. You can see this effect if you look at sample flash images from the P100...there might be some on this site that demonstrate it.

Hope that helps.

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 4:32 AM   #6

Cybershot455 wrote:
Quote:
A very important difference is that the P100 has a Sports/Fast Shutter mode, the W1 doesn't.

If you want to take images of kids, animals or anything that isn't static this is a huge advantage.
For the things you mention, a shutter speed of 1/250 or 1/125 is plenty fast enough most of the time. Anytime you use a fast shutter speed (like 1/1000), you have to be in bright sun light. Anytime you are in bright sun light, your plain old Program mode will set a shutter speed that is more than adequate for most everything.

The only reason to have a shutter speed of 1/1000th or so is to freeze super fast subjects, (like the wings of a hummingbird, a swinging baseball bat, the wheels of a car, etc). It's cool to be able to do that, but there's not a lot of reason to use it. In fact, there's a distinct disadvantage to using the fastest shutters speeds.

The faster the shutter speed you use, the less depth of field you'll get. So, even though you may freeze the action better, you are much more likely to have the things you wantin your picture to be out of focus. For most outdoor shots, you're better off having a shutter speed at 1/250 or a little lower. You'll get so much more of your picture in focus and still have enough shutter to freeze images appropriately.

That's why I'm not too worried about the W1 missing the Sports setting. The need for it is so little, that setting it in Manual is sufficient for the occasional use. Still, having that feature in the P100 is nice, but just not a deal breaker for me. There's other things I like much more about the W1, that more than makes up for its omission (to me anyway).
Elvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 5:20 AM   #7

Elvite,

You understand I'm not knocking the W1 overall...just the guy asked about differences and I stillfeel this is an important one.

All these cameras we are talking about are point and shoot...I think they should be able to do that in all circumstancesand I'm puzzled that Sony took the step of adding a manual mode to the W1 but without the fast shutter mode...I mean internally the W1 and P100 electronics must be almost the same.

You make a fair point about the decent fast shutter available in good light on autobut I have a years experience with an "auto-only"Sony P52 and know the shutter speed dropped lower than I would have wanted in many circumstances.

For example today it is the kids school outdoorsports day. Their field is shaded by some large trees and I know we'll want some shots where they will be in shade/dappled sunlight. We'll also need to use 2.5-3.0x zoom. I've just been outdoors with the P10 and taken a few test shots in our garden in near identical shady conditions with that zoom setting.

The standard automode set a shutter speed of 1/80th. At3x zoom and with moving kids the image would be useless.

Clicking to fast shutter setting set it up to 1/250th, good enough for a worthwhile image.You are right to mention the aperture and depth of field but usually fast moving subjects are the main part of an image and depth of field isn't as important as say a special landscape shot. Depth of field seems to be very good with digital cameras anyway.

One disadvantage worth mentioning on the fast shutter mode is that is uses the ISO as part of its way to get a fast shutter and proper exposure, so you can find the ISO cranked up unexpectedly. This is no problem for family shots but might be for poster sized prints.

Of course one way to get close to a fast shutter speed on the W1 is to set the program mode to ISO200, but leave everything else the standard. On my P10 this seems to have the effect of doubling the shutter speed rather than changing the aperture. I haven't tested it but there might be a drawback in that, with the crude aperture control of the Sony range (just 2 steps,large or small), exposure control might not be spot on.

At the end of it all though forget W1 vs P100.....my greatest frustration is why didn't Sony make one of this new Cybershot range a compact camera with proper shutter and priority modes like the Canons??

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 7:29 AM   #8

Sorry but i'm a beginner on photography...

Cybershot455 wrote:

"At the end of it all though forget W1 vs P100.....my greatest frustration is why didn't Sony make one of this new Cybershot range a compact camera with proper shutter and priority modes like the Canons??"

What are "proper shutter and priority modes" ?
antonio_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 8:24 AM   #9

cybershot makes a good point about the sportsmode. Though i dont think i'll be taking a lot of fast-action shots. If you use the multishot burst mode of the W1, will that be adequate? Sorry i know next to nothing about photography.
I imagine the most likely places i'll be needing fast action modes are on the rides of themes parks we visit when we go on vacation. Will it be that hard to set the shutter speed? I mean will it take that long to adjust the settings? I think it would be pretty cool if i could take a shot of my friends or siblings when they're riding a roller coaster and actually see their faces. Will that take forever to setup manually on the w1 or would the sportsmode of the p100 be better? Or am i expecting too much from these compact cameras?
Old Jul 8, 2004, 10:52 AM   #10

Hi Sane,

I just bought my first digicam and went with the W1. Mainly,I switched so that I could carry it in my purse. After one week the LCD was damaged I believe from carrying it in my purse. The store refused to take it back saying it was "accidental damage", even with the extended warranty plan. I've sent it in to Sony and am waiting to see if they will fix it. It's supposed to have a one year parts and labor. If I do end up getting it repaired I will DEFINATELY get a case for it which will add additional bulk. If I had to do it over again I think I would go with something more durable.

snapshot1927 is offline   Reply With Quote