Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 13, 2004, 7:07 AM   #1

im abt to sell away my p72 and purchase a p73 howevere i have some concerns regading p73

can anyone provide me a picture of p73 with the usb connector compartment open.. i'd like to see how it opens and also let me know what material is this made of..and also what kind of mechanism connects the compartment door to camera body
theboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2004, 3:51 PM   #2

I also own a DSC-P72. Perhaps we share a problem. The connector chamber is on the right rear of the camera. The rubbery cover starts to come loose after a few months. It pops offcontinuously, must be stuck back patiently, and makes for a wobbly grip.

The interface chamber of the P73 is on the bottom rear of the camera. The cover is made of the same medium, but has a different design. Furthermore, it does not get squished by one's thumb each time you take a picture. Maybe this protects it from the problem with the P72.

I'd be grateful for your experience or remarks on another issue.

I got myDSC-P72in June 2003. It worked like a charm for 6 months. Around last March, I noticed ugly spots or stains in pictures or videos taken under bright conditions. Use of the zoom makes them especially notable.

Here's a brief small-image mpeg that pans from medium to bright light (on a cloudy day). Note how the spots first appear as the background gets light, then intensify as the camera clicks and adjusts to higher light levels.

http://home.comcast.net/~jmkochnj/vi...-p72_spots.MPG

I also attach a still shot of a boat. Note the spot to the left of the boat and the discolorations in the sky. Of late, the worst spot has been there in the middle, but it was not apparent last March.

Cleaning the outside of the lens does not seem to help. The camera has fallen from my pocket a few times. However, if the problem were physical trauma, I can't figure why the spots would appear only in bright light.

Could there be dirt or debris inside? I've never tried to open the camera, fearing this would invite trouble. Is there anything (sensor, lens) inside that can be easily cleaned? Or is this hazardous and irrelevant? Do sensors simply degenerate over time due to age and jarring?

Thanks.

Attached Images

Cybershoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 7:52 AM   #3

Wow :shock:

Looks really bad!

I hope there is a way to fix it..

Please inform us if you find out what the problem is..
tanaltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 11:16 AM   #4

there can be numerous reason for those spots..

remember ccd is as sensitive as lcd's infact more.. if u leave ur camera focused on a bright static object for a long time, u may burn ur ccd resulting in pics with dark corners or spots.. never try to grab a sunset scene with digital camera without using a filter..

also it may be dust somehow accumulated on a ccd.. or lens.. u may need cleaning.since u got ur camera 6 months ago..urs is still under warrenty.. go to sony and tell them to repair it free

try to recall if u have used ur camera for shooting bright object of sun sets

i already sold my p72 an waiting to get my p73 soon!!

that rubbery cover on p72 was great..provided good grip.. im goin to miss it in p73
Old Jul 29, 2004, 2:43 AM   #5

Thank you very much for the very helpful information theboss.

I like taking pictures of sunset and i took many with my old camera. Luckily no obvious dark spots occured. But now i won't take them with my new p93 which i will buy in a few days.

Do you know what kind of a filter i shoulduse to avoid burning my ccd of p93? And are they expensive?

Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:10 AM   #6
TC3

I disagree...i have a P7 and it has taken many many sunset shots and i do not believe the sun in a sunset is powerful enough to damage the ccd so i think it must be dust and nothing else in that pic
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 2:54 PM   #7

as a golden rule u should never point a camera especially a digital one towards a powerful IR source such as SUN...camera focuses and concentraces the image on a very small sensors thus increasing the intensity..

what happens when u take a magnifying glass in sun and concentrate sun rays on a piece of paper.. the paper burns.,. now same will happen to ur camera..

if u camera has not burned yet u are lucky or many be u took sun set shots when the sun wasnt realy that strong..try pointng ur camera towards a sun and take a picture.. the camera ccd in digital cams is still active when u are focusing bcuz it is taaking the lens input and displaying it on lcd..

there are lot of filters available at sony showrooms check out the showroom and ask their sales man to recommend u a filter for shooting sun sets.. thats how i got mine.. it was very light grey and basically i think cut off the IR making the image cool and therefor no heat build up when image is concentrated on a ccd
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:01 AM   #8

The filter is 30$ on sony's website .

And 30$ is the adaptor.

I think it worths paying 60$ to protect the camera from that kind of an effect.

Below are the links:

--------------------

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ries_DIFilters

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ories_DILenses

Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:10 AM   #9

offcourse it is.. a total worth of $60 USD accessories are no big deal.. beside u can resude the filter on most of the other syber shot only need to change the adapter.. and lets not all forget that good photographyc required good investment.. if u camputre lot of sun sets or do outdoor shootin in a blinding bright sunlight like in saudi arabia then such filter will sure protect ur camera from any accidential ccd damange futher
Old Aug 7, 2004, 8:40 PM   #10

Well I plan on buying the P73 and maybe in the future looking into those upgrades. I am new and do not understand what CCD is and all I guess I need to do some research. I am in the Air Force so through AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service) I can get the P73 for $259.99 with free shipping and of course no tax. I also have a coupon that if I spend more then $251 I get $30 off so I am going to get the P73 for $229.99 I will let you guys know how it works out for me once I get it. I plan on ordering it next week. So with that filter kit it would protect your camera from getting fried by the sun? Also I see that someone put a $30 adapter in there post...you don't need the adapter for the neutral filter kit because it says in specifications it fits the P73...am I wrong or right?

Thanks,

Jared
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote