Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:07 PM   #1

I am looking to purchase a brand new Digital SLR and I have reached a fork in the road. On the one side is the Canon EOS 10D with 7 area Multi-Point Auto Focus, 6.5 megapixel CMOS sensor,and the DIGIC processor; all coupled with the Canon EF 28-200mm lens.

On the other side is the Sony DSC-F828 with 5 area Multi-Point Auto Focus, 8 megapixel CMOS sensor, and the Real Imaging Processor (RGB+E), all coupled with the 28-200mm Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar T lens.

Also, I allready have a professional MiniDV camera and am thus not interested in either the Canon EOS 10D nor the Sony DSC-F828 to deliver any kind of video or audio performance. What I want is the best still image that a digital SLR can take. Which of these two excellent cameras will deliver the highest quality still image possible? If there is another Digital SLR which will outperform these two, I would be glad to check it out so please let me know.
iwfuutaudls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2004, 3:37 PM   #2
Zal

You are misinformed. The Sony 828 is not a digital SLR. Also, it uses a CCD, not a CMOS sensor.

If you are looking for the advantages of a digital SLR (the ability to change lenses, fast focusing and no shutter lag, and low noise at high ISO), then you want to compare apples with apples--The Canon 10D with the Nikon D70, for example.

The Sony 828 is a great camera, but a digital SLR it is not.
Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 4:01 PM   #3

Let's see if I can put it into some perspective for you. As it happens, I have and use both the very nice cameras along with quite a few others so can give you some direction.

For overall image quality under a wide variety of conditions the Canon EOS-10D is by far the better choice, but remember you will also need to consider buying some lenses. For convenience, with excellent conditions of lighting and such, the Sony F828 can take wonderful images. It's a very well thought out camera with lots of great features, but when the conditions are less than optimal (low light, rapidly moving subject, etc.) the 10D is a better performer. Each has its own strengths. The 10D requires decent lenses to get the best performance, and to equal the combined focal length range of the F828 with same image quality you will probably want to get at least two lenses for the 10D.

As for other dSLR's which have equal or better image quality there are a number. Of presently available cameras the Fuji S2, Canon EOS-1D Mark II, Canon EOS-1DS, Kodak 14N and the newer version all have equal or better image quality. The Canon 1D Mark II is higher in resolution while the Canon 1DS is much higher in resolution. The Kodak 14n (14 meapixels) produces incredibly good images but is not nearly as versatile as the 10D for low light use.

The older Kodak DCS-760 (and even 660) models can be found for around $1800 if you shop around. They have removable antialiasing filters (optional) and produce unequalled six megapixel image quality.

If ultimate image quality at a reasonably low price is your goal, the 10D, Nikon D70 or Canon Digital Rebel are of similar image quality. If you presently have no lenses, the Nikon D70 is very attractive. If you already have Canon lenses, the 10D would be the better choice for economy.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 9:04 PM   #4

Money is of no concern. I simply want the BEST digital SLR currently on the market. What are your recommendations?
Old Jul 14, 2004, 9:12 PM   #5

If you need to shoot fast action, my recommendation would be the Canon EOS-1D Mark II. If your primary interest is landscapes and you need ultimate resoluion along with reasonable ISO range and full frame sensor my recommendation would be the Canon EOS-1DS.

There is no "single" BEST dSLR because sports shooting requires very fast frame rates for applications where burst length and multiple frames are required. When shooting "primarily" landscapes, wide angle and higher resolution are of primary concern and burst length and frame rate are of minimal importance.

The Canon EOS-1D Mark II has 8 frame per second speed and 8 megapixel resolution. The Canon EOS-1DS has 3 frame per second speed and 11 megapixel resolution. Either will produce beautiful 16x24" prints. The 1DS will go larger. I use both myself.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:57 PM   #6

The Canon EOS 1DS has a remarkable resolution however I intend to take action shots, particularly AutoCross racing and Alpine Skiing pictures, so Ichoose the Canon EOS 1D Mark II . Thank you for your help Lin.