Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 18, 2004, 10:26 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm planning to buy one the two cameras mentioned above (Sony T1 or Sony P100), unfortunately I can't decide which one.

I really like (and desire) the T1 because of it's size, the huge screen and the design. But I've readmany posts about bad image quality in low light situations, therefore, I'm not sure anymore that the T1 is the right choice.

I'm not a professional, I just want a small camera which I can take anywhere. Mostly, I will useit for taking pictures when travelling, at special events or family reunions. I'm not planning to take many pictures in darkness, low-lit rooms or disco's.
I neither need exceptional picture quality nor do I expect it from the T1, but of course am I not wanting crappy pictures.

Because I've read many negative posts about the T1, I took the P100 into consideration, but when it comes to style and the LCD, it cannot compare with the T1in my view. I know that the P100 takes better pictures in low light situations, but the T1 is still fascinating me. I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I hope you can help me, thanks in advance for your advice.
delirious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2004, 11:58 AM   #2

del,

You're buying a camera to take photographs...not win a design award. My guess is that the P100 will be 99% as pocketable as the T1....and give muchmore pleasing results overall.

Get the P100 (actually get a P120 with extra battery and Sony leather case....far better value) for your photographs.

Then upgrade your mobile phone to satisfy the need forstyle.

:-)

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 1:20 PM   #3

thanks for your advice, cybershot455!

But I've got another question: When taking outdoor shots in normal light, is the picture quality of the P100 as good as the T1's? Because after looking at several sample photos, I had the impression that the photos made by the T1 are sharper than the ones made by the P100. (For example: In his sample photos, Steve took a picture of a reddish house with each of the two cameras. When examining these side by side, the photo made by the T1 looks sharper to me.)

Btw: I already own the SonyEricsson T610 :-)

Philipp
Old Jul 21, 2004, 4:54 AM   #4

Isn't there anybody else, who could help me / give me impressions about one of the two (or both) cameras?
Old Jul 21, 2004, 6:51 AM   #5

Phillip,

Sorry I didn't get back to you. If you look about this page of Sony threads there is quite a lot of comment on the P100/W1/T1.

My overall feeling is that they are all biased to a slightly different buyer. The T1 seems to have universal doubts about the indoor and flash images. The W1 and P100 seem great for most folks but some are reporting odd image problems.

These commentsseem to result from the latest Sony in-cameranoise reduction software. My impression is that in some ways this has reduced the absolute sharpness below that of the older V1 or P10 cameras.

Re phone....I should have guessed :-)

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 7:40 AM   #6

thank you very much for your help, david!

i think i'll go to the shop tomorrow and have a look on these cams.

philipp