Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 19, 2004, 4:41 PM   #1

I have read many posts and reviews of this camera, and as all the others i am trobled by the "lack of flash"

First i want to say, i love the design of this camera, and well theres no doubt that ill beshowing it off :-)

I used to have a Canon Ixus V (2,1 MP)i think it was called, and that took fine pictures (i think) and since it got destroyed i havnt really had a camera, except those agfa 1 time cameras hehe. So im not really used to anysuperpicture quality!

I will probably never use the movie feature, its definately nice to have but not need to have.

The thing that bothers me is that at least some of the pictures i would like to take is ... well you know "funny bar pictures" of myself and my friends etc. but does this come in the category as "portraits" and is ok, or would this kind of pictures be out of the question? .. i have looked at all the test pictures i can find, but theyre mostly outdoor pictures.. i read that for museums etc = big indoor dark places, this is a bad camera, but it will not be used for this, so thats ok!

one last thing, money is not really an option, i just want a nice all round camera, to take some funny pictures and those beautifull outdoor pictures when out traveling.

SO if anyone can tell me wheather to buy this camera, of if there is another just as cool kamera on the marked that i might have missed, it would be greately appreciated!

Thanx in advance

Kim Jørgensen

Kimjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2004, 5:19 PM   #2

The T1 has a very weak flash and has no viewfinder other than the LCD. Those would be deal breakers for me, but might not be for others.

The Pentax S4i is smaller and has a decent flash and a viewfinder, but is only 4Mp. It also takes slightly less expensive SD cards. If you don't mind a little more bulk, the Canon S500 is a great all-round camera that fits easily in your pocket. It uses CF, which is the least expensive memory.

A nice little accessory for the kind of pictures you want to take is an Ultrapod. They weigh only 2 oz. You can use it as a tabletop tripod or use the Velcro strap to attach it to chairs, poles or whatever is handy. They are less than $10 in the US.
http://www.pedcopods.com/products.htm
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 5:33 PM   #3

Here are some interior photos I took with the T-1. Having become familiar with the T-1 light problems, I was careful not to be more than 5 feet from the subject.

http://www.pbase.com/deanej/top_40

Here are some taken before I understood it well that had to be extensivily Photoshopped.

http://www.pbase.com/deanej/komawky_reunion

A lot depends on how much existing light there is to supplement the flashes short range.

Deane

Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 6:57 PM   #4

Thanx for both youre replies.

Slipe, i dont mind that there is only a LCD screen, i didnt see myself using the viewfinder even once on my old camera..

But ill definately look more into the Pentax S4i, although the fact that the lcd is bigger on the T1 and also only has 4MP (dont think itll actually make much of a difference but still..)

Deane i think you just pointed out to me that im pretty new to this digital photo, or even to taking pictures in general. I dont really see anything bad about the pictures from "komawky_reunion" maybe the pictures from "top_40" have a little more color, but i wouldnt know if that is normal :?

But those pictures are excately what i will be taking mostly, those nice outdoor ones, and a few indoor ones aswell. (like for instance i was just at a wedding and it would have been great to have my cam there to get a bunch of pictures of the bride and groom.

all in all, i think ill look a little more into that pentax cam, but im not as "affraid" of the T1 anymore :-)
Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:13 PM   #5

kimjor:

Just to follow up on the difference in those two sets of photos, the KOMAWKY_reunion set were taken further back from the subject with a mixture of light from the flash and a mixture of colored overheads and flouescent. It took a lot of Photoshopping to get them to where they are.

The ones you feel are brighter are more intensily lit from the camera strobe with minimal Photoshopping. Getting more light into the T-1 makes things much better.

My personal preference is a camera that has the strobe rated out to about 10' to 12' at ISO 100. The T-1 is rated out to only 5', about the lowest of any camera I have seen.

I was pretty new and naive about digital photography when I bought the T-1, not knowing what to look for. Today, I would insist on more light output.
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:52 AM   #6

Today i went to the store and bought a T1, (i have 14 days money back thing)

so now im gonna shoot alot of pictures and see if theyre good enough for me. i have sofar only shot about 10, and they seem to be ok. but ill take alot more by tomorrow i hope, and then ill post em on my www page.

i also looked at both the pentax, the W1 and the P100.

the W1 is too big imho, i know many dont think that but i kinda do...

P100 has a smaller lcd screen and i dont really like the overall design they have

the pentax is ok in size just like the Ixus models etc. but they have such a small LCD screen...

ill get back to you!

/Kim
Old Jul 25, 2004, 12:37 PM   #7
Fen

For a long time I thought the W1 was too big as well, but eventually I bought a W12 because it isn't really. It's not much bigger than an Ixus 500 but it has better (IMO) features.

I wanted a T1 soooo much, but the low-light performance combined with the tiny lense that means it has a poor aperture, therefore is more sensitive to low light put me off.

The first proper pics I took with the W12 were of Detroit at night as I'm in Canada on a business trip just now and they came out really well. The T1 just wouldn't have been able to take those pics at all.

I have now ordered a tripod and I hope to get some add on lenses for the W12 before I travel back to the UK - none of these are an option with the T1.

I agree with you on the look of the P100 and all the test shotsI saw with the Pentax had a blurry left side - something to do with the way the lens retracts off centre I read somewhere.

The T1 and W1 big screen is fantastic too.
Fen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 5:24 PM   #8
Administrator

Fen wrote:
Quote:
I agree with you on the look of the P100 and all the test shotsI saw with the Pentax had a blurry left side - something to do with the way the lens retracts off centre I read somewhere.
Actually, Steve just got a bad camera. He reposted new samples from it's replacement in the review, and updated the review conclusion.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...i_samples.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 10:17 PM   #9
Fen

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Fen wrote:
Quote:
Actually, Steve just got a bad camera. He reposted new samples from it's replacement in the review, and updated the review conclusion.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...i_samples.html

I ruled out the Pentax on the basis of test pics on another site - I didn't even look at Steve's Pentax review as I had discounted buying one beforeI foundhis site.
Fen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:49 AM   #10

My friend and I recently had a show down with the T1 and the Minolta G400.

He got his as a gift from his dad, and I chose the G400 because I wanted a new small camera after giving another friend my Fuji 6700Z.

I own professional grade video camera gear, as well as a Sony S85, and very high end computer/printer monitor.

I eventually came to the conclusion that the Minolta G400 is a much superior camera, at 2/10 ounce lighter, and barely bigger.

My summary and conclusions along with Steve's excerpt cropped photos (thanks, I hope your cropped couple of photos are okay on my server- I put a link back to you and credit ;-) are posted on my web page devoted to this subject

Sony T1 versus Minolta G400 Comparison along with Sony S85 thrown in

http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/details.html

I hope people find this page useful in pointing out the advantages and disadvantages of each camera.

And that you won't have to pull your hair out like we did considering which camera is "best" for what.

Neil Slade

http://www.NeilSlade.com)
neilslade is offline   Reply With Quote