Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 31, 2004, 6:55 AM   #1

I got my W1 a week ago and so far I'm very satisfyed with it.

I do however want to make a few points clear about the camera. Some of these things were things that bothered me about it when reading the reviews but in reality I find them not to be true.

To put it shortly, this is an overall great camera. The design is simply excellent from head to toe. The memory stick cover door is not as flimsy as it says, and actually find it to be of great quality despite being made of plastic (unlike the rest of the camera).

The LCD is very large and clear, but the resolution is just average. Still this is by far the best LCD I've seen on a compact digicam, but even then when its very sunny you might prefer to use the optical viewfinder (or when its very dark and nothing is seen on it). I don't think it could get scratched because there is no surface protecting it, but it could easily get damaged or even pinched because of no protection. Read the T1 disaster thread to know what I'm taking about.

Battery life, as I experienced, is not as great as supposed to be. I was a bit disappointed with it. It works for around 2 hours, but not much more. Keep in mind that I almost never turn the LCD off.

Movie mode (with a PRO stick) is very good. I hardly find any focusing problems, but don't expect this camera to replace a videocam. The file sizes for movies are huge and while the quality is very good for a digital camera it can only compete with analogue video cameras from the early to mid 90's.

Since there are only 2apertures to choose from at any given focal length I find it okay not to have a shutter-priority or aperture-priority mode. You won't miss these modes, and as for having only 2 aperture choices, it isn't as bad as it sounds, and the wide range of shutter speeds compensates for it. I would however like to see a faster maximum shutter speed in manual mode. The fastest is 1/1000, and under some very bright conditions the exposure is still to high at this settings. The long exposure options are excellent and yield great results at night. Alternatively, I wouldn't mind having a 50 ISO mode instead of a 1/2000 shutter in manual mode.

Lastly, I amvery content with the image quality. I take all my images in manual mode (almost), and being able to tweak the settings by myself brings great results. Because I'm not an "automatic-guy" I didn't even bother to check the point-n-shoot mode and am not willing too (it could easily disappoint me). But let me promise you that as long as you know a thing or two about photography and you'll be using the manual option (preferably with a tripod if light is not on your side) you won't get anything other than excellent pictures. I printed out some of them in a photo lab and the results are great.

So to sum it up, its a great camera, not a perfect one, but no camera is perfect. While I would like to see some more of the V1's features on this, I still prefer it over the V1 for its much better design, better LCD, and better movie mode, while still enabling you to get pictures that are almost as good.

Would like to hear your comments on this from W1 owners...

Deadlock-83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2004, 8:29 AM   #2

It's difficultto be disagreeing with you...

In Russia we call such kind of digicams as "soap-box", i.e. not professional one. But W1 has veryneat features & incredible performance at all for the soap-box

Thanx for your opinion!
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 6:59 PM   #3
rg7

Oh, good!

I was worried when I read some of the reviews, citing the flimsy MemoryStick cover, and I was worried that something was wrong over at Sony (aren't the Japanese known for reliable products?)

I also was about to go for a Canon for more aperture choices as well as the apperture- and shutter-priority modes. I was dissapointed, because I really liked some atributed of the W1. Thank you very much for the information!
rg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 9:19 AM   #4

RG7 ! I have the W1 also , but find that I do need morte manual controls, like white balance.... A lot of pictures come out tinted, like we were at a park, and after that a lot of shots in the open area came out greenish..... Guess the sensor was used to a lot of green and thought it was white? Anyone else with similar experiences?

As far as the LCD - all manufacturers claim it is easy to see in the outdoors - not true ! Tryu to take the W1 to the beach and view it with the sun behind you - IMPOSSIBLE !!!!Again, Fuji finepixs700 - a great camera too !!!
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:45 AM   #5

Agree completely. This camera is not as consistent as a Canon s400/500 in auto mode ...BUT has all the controls and a whole lot moreyou need to address any situation. Overall, I am very pleased with the camera even though I had to exchange my first one (Which had a real focus problem...FYI Circuit City was great to deal with). Am now getting great pictures.

If you have a steady hand and enough light, the 2.6 telephoto add-on lens is great, especially for sports. Everyone that sees the multi-burst thinks it is really "cool". Great for checking golf swing, pitching motion, whatever.

Best luck w/ indoor shots is at 200 iso and 1/60 or 1/80. The default 1/40 for flash is a little slow.

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:23 AM   #6

I also have a W1 for one month, and I find a very interesting camera and practice. I also went by the experience of changing the first W1 that I bought, for a new W1, since the first one had problems of certain lack of focus clarity.
Step to step I am obtaining better pictures, and less quantity of moved pictures and outside of focus. I have also bought an wide angle conversion lens changes the 38 mm the original zoom to 26,6 mm. But I discovered with horror that when taking out pictures with the wide anglelens attachment and the camera's flash, it leaves a very ugly shade in the inferior part of the picture. I solved it using a flash Metz of slave operation, position beside the camera, and now I can use my wide angle also in indoors.
Apart from this, the camera is very interesting and complete in its small size.

Greetings of Roger from Argentina.
ronorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 6:36 PM   #7

I am very close to buying a W1. However, hearing that some of you had to take it back to the store concerns me.

What if I don't notice that it is performing badly? This will be my first digital camera so I don't really know what to expect!
jimjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 7:30 PM   #8

To all the nice people above who have or are contemplating the W1, I too have just purchased it at Circuit City and was afraid of that sinking feeling one gets when buying something that gets bad reviews. Even though my old Fuji 3800 got good reviews from Consumer Reports, (a Best Buy) it was lousy indoors w/o the flash, and sometimes with it.

I did my research and read "Steve's" Review and got the Sony. I was swayed by the large LCD and the speed it boots up. The pictures do seem soft but I upped the contrast and use the "P" mode most of the time with spot focusing. It uses AA's, (2200 mah from Wal-Mart, oh yeah) not a proprietary battery. The other functions are great to have but in reality, this is a point & shoot and ease of use with quality images was a priority. And that LCD, I can see it without my glasses.
Thanks
wisperin squash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 8:07 PM   #9

My new W1's white balance as well as the focus in auto mode is way off. Sent it off to repair. They tell me it is within the Sony standards!!! Can't wait to get rid of it on Ebay.

I will never purchase a Sony camera again (Will go with Canon or Nikon)!:evil:
KevinWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 7:58 AM   #10
rg7

It may be a bit late now, but your focus/white balance problems may have been easy to solve. Many people complain about the focus and white balance on the W1. One of the problems for the focus is usually that the macro mode is left on, leading to a slightly fuzzy photo at anything more than half a meter. Second, the Auto white balance of this camera is balanced more toward indoor photography. You will naturally get better pictures by selecting a specific white balance. I have not found the need for a manual white balance yet, and I have been taking pictures in diverse environment for a quite a while now.
rg7 is offline   Reply With Quote