Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 9, 2004, 11:43 AM   #1

Well, I had the F717 for a year and absolutely loved it, so I figured I would upgrade to the F828. Now, I think I'm regretting it.

I'm not real knowledgable about photography, but I do quite a bit of it, almost all of it indoors. The way I always shot before was to turn the flash off on the camera, light my scene with two lowel tota lamps, and fire away. With the F717 on auto mode this always produced great results.

I've been messing around with the F828 but my pictures keep coming out blurry, out of focus, and the colors look "off".

I've tried various lighting configurations and messing with the manual white balance to no avail. I'm contemplating returning the thing and sticking with my 717.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
RubberRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2004, 2:28 PM   #2
Zal

If you could post some photos as examples, that will help to figure out the problem.

First, the 828 has a lower ISO option than the 717, which, if you are using it, would result in slower shutter speeds. You can try to increase the ISO on the 828 to 200 or 400--that will give you a faster shutter speed to prevent camera shake.

Next, manual white balance isn't something you can "mess around" with--you either set it manually or you don't. If you are getting incorrect colors, then you have to manually set your white balance--get a white card (a piece of white printer paper or posterboard will work fine), put the 828 in manual white balance mode, and hit the joystick while the card is under the same lighting conditions as your subject. Your colors should be very accurate.
Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 3:01 PM   #3

Hey Zal,

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I've been crusing some other boards since I posted here and I think its the ISO setting that is causing my headache. When I get home later today I will do some test shots with the ISO bumped up.

I do recall reading somewhere that increasing the ISO can make the pictures noisy. Know anything about that?

Thanks again.
RubberRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 3:17 PM   #4
Administrator

RubberRuss wrote:
Quote:
When I get home later today I will do some test shots with the ISO bumped up.

I do recall reading somewhere that increasing the ISO can make the pictures noisy. Know anything about that?
Yes, basically the camera is turning up the gain from the CCD signal, to increase it's sensitivity to light at higher ISO speeds. This also amplifies noise.

Because the photosites for each pixel are smaller in your DSC-F828 (as compared to your DSC-F717), they are unable to gather as much light (due to their smaller surface area). So, more amplification is needed for equivalent ISO sensitivity. This means that the DSC-F828 will have higher noise levels compared to your DSC-F717. Sony elected to put 8 Million Photosites into the same size CCD with the 828.

However, keep in mind that it's also ahigher resolution image,and when viewing it at 100% size on screen, you're seeing a much larger size than you are likely to print at.So,noise will tend to blend in at typicalviewing/print sizes.

You can get tools to reducenoise if very large print sizes are needed. Here are some good ones:

Neat Image: http://www.neatimage.com

Noise Ninja: http://www.picturecode.com

Noiseware: http://www.imagenomic.com/

Note that Noiseware is a free product. It does have some limitations (for example, it strips out the EXIF information, which contains information about the camera settings used). However, it seems to do a pretty good job with noise.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 4:14 PM   #5
Zal

RubberRuss wrote:
Quote:
Yes, there is no free lunch. As Jim said above, as you increase the ISO, you will see more noise in your photos. You can either live with it, or get one of the noise reduction applications, like Neat Image or Noise Ninja.
Zal is offline   Reply With Quote