Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 11, 2004, 9:15 AM   #1

Can anyone using the W1 with the tele-converter add-on lens and a slave flash post a picture using them all ?

What type of flash do you use for the W1 (external i mean!)?
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2004, 1:57 PM   #2

I don't use the tele-converter with the W1, but I use the wide-converter. Regrettably you cannot use neither the camera's flash, neither the help-lightfor autofocus. But I have obtained good results using a Metz slave flash,model Mecablitz 34 CS-2, without problems. I post a sample picture obtained with the W1 + 0,7x wide-converter and Mecablitz.
Attached Images

ronorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 4:08 PM   #3

Thank you for your kind reply ! Much appreciated !
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 3:58 PM   #4

Sorry I do not have anything to post, but I have the W/A and both teleconverters and the tiny Sony slave flash. Got them all as Sony had a 20% discount. I am finding that the slave flash works very well with the W/A with interior shots and is actually a must have as without it the lens will cast a shadow with the on camera flash. Since I shake a lot I have started to use a light monopod for both of the telephoto lenses with the exception of when in bright sunlight.

The focus assist on this camera is excellent at short range but it can not compare to the Sony 717. But try and put one of those in your pocket?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 4:38 PM   #5

A sample of the horrible shade that takes place when using the additional wide-lens and adapter with the camera flash.
Attached Images

Old Aug 13, 2004, 4:39 PM   #6

And the result of using a additional slave flash to avoid the shade. The flash is the Metz Mecablitz 34 CS-2.
Attached Images

Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:20 PM   #7

hi, I would like to see how does the sony w1 look like after plugged with the wide angle len, would you mind to post it here?

thx so much
nikcname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 7:40 AM   #8

I do not have a camera to take a photo of the W1 with the W/A attached. All the add on lenses require an adapther. The W/A when attached will extend 2" from the front of the camera and as a result the camera will NOT fit into an ordinary pocket. Also the attachment blocks the focus assist lamp from working. I have not found this to be much of a drawback. The lens produces excellent results and can be easily attached and carried seperatly. ( call it a two pocket camera) I am disabled and make use of a light monopod (walking stick) with a ball head. Unless there is ample lighting ANY camera will require some support for a successful photo. For its size this camerahas amazing telephoto capabilities with the 3x and 2x lenses. In addition the "smart" digital zoom fearures and burst modes are worthy in spite what some "experts" claim about digital zooms.

The monopod can be very light as long as it can be positioned between your feet and angled forward braciing the shaft against one leg. Since you will want to use the LCD you want the ball head to control the camera positioning at near eye level. The shutter release is on top of the camera and thus even the shutter push is aligned with the photo you are taking.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:10 AM   #9

Camera Sony W1 + W/A Converter + Adapter Ring, and slaved Flash Metz Mecablitz 34 CS - 2 Digital. (Photo 1).

Greetings, Ronorro.

Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:11 AM   #10

Camera Sony W1 + W/A Converter + Adapter Ring, and slaved Flash Metz Mecablitz 34 CS - 2 Digital. (Photo 2).

Greetings, Ronorro.
Attached Images