Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 16, 2004, 5:34 PM   #1

Does anyone have experience with the HVL-FSL1B Slave Flash when used with the W1?
dbhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2004, 2:59 PM   #2

Hi! A short time ago I had the same wuestion, and a very nice man answered it in detail.... Read on here and see http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 10:24 PM   #3

Check the Sony Talk Forum at DPReview. Look for happyme who has some posts with the flash. Very impressive results. I think I'm going to get one. Really clears up the Redeye and washes out the harsh flash look.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the tip -- there is quite a bit of information there.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:14 PM   #5

dbhay,

Perhaps this thread where we discussed the Sony HVL-FSL1slave unit (and others) at length might help too....

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...light=hvl-fsl1

To summarise my experience...

Really wanted a HVL-FSL1to go with my P12 which I bought knowing the flash on most compacts was too weak for my needs. Struggled to afford the £80-£100 asked in the UK but ordered one from a "grey" supplier for £49.

The unit operated as it should but the mounting bracket was for the Japanese market and didn't fit all UK cameras. It was this reason that meant I had to return it.

However in testing over a couple of days I was concerned that the way Sony had set up the unit to be insensitive enough NOT to fire on the pre-flash or anti red-eye strobe meant that it often didn't fire when you wanted it to.

Fill-in lighting outdoors and taking shots at night in brightly lit rooms were circumstances where it would often not fire at all.

A lovely lookingdesign of unit fitted to a P-Series camera where it fitted the casingcurve, less so with the W1/W12 square look.

So I looked elsewhere and came up with the Vivitar DF120 which I've owned for a while now and been very happy with.

You'll see from the images on that linked post that it is a very similar size and concept to the Sony. The brackets actuallylook like they were made in the same factory!

But the Vivitar has several advantages.....

1: It can be swivelled on the bracket from side to side and more importantly tilted backwards for bounce flash, the Sony does neither.

2: It comes with a small rubber stand which is brilliant for placing the flash on a surface some way from the camera to getgood spread andlighting effects.

3: Most importantly you set the Vivitar manually to whatever the number of pre-flashes your camera has. This means that it has a far higher sensitivity to firing and so far has gone off every time I've wanted it, even outdoors in otherwise strong light.

4: Price! I can buy 4 Vivitar DF120 units for the price of one Sony HVL-FSL1.

As I said I've had the Vivitar a while but it really proved itself while we were away on our summer hols recently. I never fitted it to the camera once but every time carried it in a pocket and placed it wherever was best to fill light into the subject in question.

Many times (like in an old church the camera flash alone could have never filled the shadows) I would just turn the slave on and hand it to my wife who would stand off to one side holding it above her head. I could freely move around to get the exact shots I wanted and the slave came up trumps every time.

I'm actually ordering a second Vivitar DF120in a few days as there are situations where the light from the camera plus two slave units will really help get some previously impossible to capture images.

Below is an image of the DF120 on my P12.

Edit: By the way the DF120 takes two AAA batteries. I bought Panasonic Pro+ Ni-MH rechargeables and one pair lasted all of our holiday despitefrequent use. Also the slave recycle time is faster than my Sony camera so it was always ready.

David

Attached Images

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:46 PM   #6

Thanks! This looks promising

dbhay
Old Sep 10, 2004, 9:32 AM   #7

Cybershot455 wrote:
Quote:
Below is an image of the DF120 on my P12.
Hey, when are you going to take that sticker off?!
Sinister Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:39 AM   #8

SP,

OK I've just done it..... boy I would have cursed if it had left a mark though :sad:

I have a thing about stickers, they drive me mad if they don't come off cleanly.

Absolutely hate buying a musicCD and finding the price label on the front resists a knife, furniture polish, solvent etc etc. Some will cling on unless you dig them off the plastic.

So I was really wary of getting that one off the nice (to me)dark blue!

Thanks for the motivation.

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote