Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 2, 2004, 7:02 AM   #1

What does everyone think about the look/spec. of the new V3 (replacing V1). I think that it looks pretty good and I'm glad that they have included a compact flash slot. I also like the fact that they have moved the pop up flash which got in the way (for me personally) on the V1. I do wish that theyhad designed it touse AA batteries and maybe had a slightly wider angle lens but apart from that I think that it looks more professional and can't wait to see some sample shots. Does anyone know when an F828 replacement may be become available?
Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2004, 8:23 AM   #2
sdh

The upcoming V3 looks very cool. I have to believe a W3 (7 MP upgrade to the W1)is on the way too.
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:13 AM   #3

I think 7 Mp for 1/1.8 sensor is not quite bright idea. Seems, V3 has gotfairly ferocious noise depressing machine...

BTW, why 7 Mp, not 17 ???... Hey, Sony!!?

Need to watch V3's pictures...:|to complete opinion.
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 3:05 PM   #4

I agree, the manufacturer's do seem to be in a megapixel race but I guess Sony had to make the V3 seven as it'scompeting withthe CanonG6 which is also seven. I wish that they would make a V2 with all the new features but keep it 5MP.A W3 sounds pretty cool as I have just bought a W1 which I quite like (size, screen, speed) but it does lack some manual controls which I guess is where the new V3 will come in.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 4:51 PM   #5

Maybe DSC W2 (W3, W4 etc —— next reincarnation of W1) will be the best of what we want?
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:15 PM   #6

I am considering either the canon G6 or the Sony V3. I'm waiting for the review and release of the V3. Also, I am hoping that Steve includes performance information with the memory stick pro vs. a high speed CF (like the lexar 80X). I wonder if a high speed CF might even further improve the start up and shot to shotlag. Any thoughts?
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:43 PM   #7

I'm also going to choose between the V3 and the Canon G6 when the V3 comes out. I currently own a Sony W1 and this camera even with standard memory stick is amazingly fast compared to my previous camera (Sony P92), I have just purchased a Sandisk Memorystick Pro and while the Startup time of the W1 doesn't appear to change downloading the images does seem a fair bit quicker than the standard Memorystick. I guess with the Pro stick it can take full advantage of the USB2 connection speedsincluded on Sony cameras. If I do go with the V3 I will probably keep the Pro stick for 30fps video clips and buy a compact flash card (which is still a fair bit cheaper ) for images. I think it will be a hard decision between the two, I like the fact that the V3 has a built in lens cover but I'm now wondering whether to wait and see what the F828 replacement will be like. The 8MP cameras are a fair bit bigger and I don't really need 8MP! + I read that they have more image noise. I guess in the end it will come down to a number of factors but the most important will always be image quality which is also down to personal taste as I have seen many images that I have thought to be great quality where as others don't and vice versa.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 5:13 PM   #8

I noticed that the V3's on camera flash has a working range up to 11.5 feet (3.5M). That is less than the W1's 12.5 feet, which I often find inadequate.I don't care much for the look of the PowershotG6. I will awaitthe release of the new Panasonic FZ-15 and FZ-20 and will hold them all inmy handsbefore making any decisions!
Sinister Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 5:41 PM   #9

SP,

Did you ever buy a slave flash for the W1? Did you read my comments on my cheap Vivitar slave in another thread?

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 8:54 PM   #10

Cybershot455 wrote:
Quote:
SP,

Did you ever buy a slave flash for the W1? Did you read my comments on my cheap Vivitar slave in another thread?
No, I never did. I wouldn't be happy if it went-off when others were taking pictures, and my wife wouldn't use it, so I thought I'd just get another (my own) camera, instead! I did save the electronics from a couple disposable cameras, though. The plan was to try to detect the flash electronically on the camera (not optically, but I haveseen some fiber optic solutions). As yet, I have done nothing.

It seems that Circuit City has the Panasonic FZ20K.Some lively discussion andpicture links have been posted in the Panasonic forum,but I'd like to read Steve's review, first!
Sinister Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote