Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 8, 2004, 5:04 PM   #1

My P100 lens doesnt close when I turn the camera off. I was at the beach recently and I think some sand made its way in between the lense mechanism. Now I get a message that saying to turn the camera off and back on again when I try turning it back on. It tries moving the lens, but they move only a little. I can't take pictures or anything. I have had the camera a little over a month now and its still under warrantee (well is it considering there may be sand in the lens mechanism). I already tried compressed air but there is now no visible sign off anything, so it must be on the inside.

I am making arrangements to send it back to sony to be repaired but I am not in the US and I could end up paying 40% of the cost of the camera to just to bring it back into my country depending on whether it was repaired or replaced. :sad:

Has anyone ever opened a P100, I know it would definately void the warrantee. Is it easy to get the lens mechanism and blow out any sand with compressed air?

Any suggestions recommendations or comments welcome.

Thanks
p100user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2004, 5:48 AM   #2

Perhaps too late now but what about trying a vacuum cleaner with nozzle fitted while you shake the camera and try to turn it on and off. Take care though as the suction may be powerful enough to damage the lens motor.

Interestingly my first Sony Cybershot failed in a similar way (sorted under warranty) with the lens cover "shutters" sticking half open.

Of course it might not be sand, it could just be a coincidental failure.

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 8:46 PM   #3

thanks for commenting Cybershot455. If I can find a suitable vacuum cleaner I will try that. Do you think my warrantee is still valid conisdering there is sand in the camera?
Old Sep 10, 2004, 8:21 AM   #4

I don't know in your case, it may depend on consumer law where you live.

In the UK, and with my camera being sold by a local shop, my redress was to the selling dealer who accepted it as a warranty repair and then Sony did it for them.

The shop warned me that sometimes Sony would say my type of fault was usually down to impact damage and then I would be charged.

In the end the camera just arrived at the shop repaired with no attempt by Soby to try and blame me.

I would put it back via your seller with no mention of the sand and see what happens.

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 1:37 PM   #5

My P100 died the same way as yours, p100user. After ~1 week of use, the lens was somehow "shaking" when I switched the camera on and the message "turn off/on" appeared on the display. I had to send it in for repair (warranty). I got it back 3 weeks later. now it's working great.
delirious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:20 AM   #6

Thanks for all the input, I am going to send it back to sony to get it repaired.