Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 13, 2004, 7:56 AM   #1

What a cool little camera - well at least it looks cool.

Dunno how it performs yet because I only have the batteries that came with it and they will be carging for 6 hours.

So, I opened a fresh pack of Philips alkaline AAs and popped 2 into my little black beauty. I started setting up the date and time and then got a low-battery warning and it shut down.

Now I know alkalines don't last long in digicams but TWENTY SECONDS?

I popped another 2 brand new AAs in and got exactly the same result. Is this a fulty camera?
jimjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2004, 9:46 AM   #2

Something is wrong ... I did the same thing when I got my W1 using Energizer (2010 - alkaline) ... I played with it most of the day, took quite a few pictures, learned how to use the menu, etx .... no problem.

dbh
dbhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 9:49 AM   #3

aw... you gotta be kidding!

what a pain in the a$$
Old Sep 13, 2004, 1:50 PM   #4

Just tried the camera with the supplied NiMH rechargables and it works just fine!

w00t!

guess it just don't like them cheap alkalines...

Old Sep 13, 2004, 2:33 PM   #5

will you post some imsages for us to see how well the camera performs? Are you a "newbie" to the digital field or have you tried some other cameras? What is your phototaking status - are you using manual mode otr purely AUTO ?
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 3:58 PM   #6

I am a complete digi n00b!

I have been using the camera for a couple of hours now, basically just tooling around with all the features and learning how it all works.

Suffice to say I am indoors on a windy/rainy night and there isn't much to shoot. Perhaps tomorrow I will get out in the garden and capture some plants and bugs!
Old Sep 15, 2004, 1:54 PM   #7

Jimjiber,

What's the verdict on the W1?

I wwnt to Jessops today (UK photography store) and had a play with one. They even printed off some sample for me - great customer care. Never force a sale and always helpful. So if all is well, next Monday I'm going to buy the W12 + 256 Sandisk card.

Martin.
incognito167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 2:41 PM   #8

Hi Martin

I think the W1 is fantastic but then I don't have a lot to compare it to. It is so quick, the huge LCD is awesome and it feels so solid.

I bought my black W1 for £209 including postage from 7dayshop. Ordered it last Thursday and got it this Monday, which made me very happy.

I bought a 512MB SanDisk Memory Stick Pro from an eBay seller for £56.90 including postage from the US and I got a 2-hour Uniross charger with four NiMH 2100 AA batteries for £19.99 including postage.

The charger was ordered online at about 4pm on Monday of this week and it arrived Tuesday morning. Drop me an email if you want links to the websites I got all these bargains from.
Attached Images

Old Sep 19, 2004, 9:47 AM   #9

Your pic's are very sharp. Mine seem to be rather soft, at least in comparison to my old 3.2 Fuji 3800. The LCD is great for us farsighted folks who don't like to keep their glasses on. You were lucky to find a black one, too.
Later
wisperin squash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 2:33 PM   #10

I only bought the black one because it was £209 whereas the silver one was £219!