Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 14, 2004, 4:08 AM   #1

Does the Sony M1 allow zooming during movie mode?

The only camera I have seen that allows this so far is the Canon Powershot S1 (apparently because the zoom is quiet).

Even with the noise, it would be GREAT to have this feature in a compact package. Are there any others who do it?
Consuegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2004, 7:10 AM   #2
SLD

I don't know about the M1, but the T1will not zoom while recording in movie mode.
SLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:14 PM   #3

One thing I don't get is why don't they use digital zoom in movie modes for digital cameras?

If you have a 5 megapixel sensor and the maximum resolution for a movie is just 640x480, why can't they implement a sort of digital "smart zoom", without the need for physically moving the lens and thus creating noise.

Any answers?
Deadlock-83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 9:37 AM   #4

Consuegra wrote:
Quote:

Does the Sony M1 allow zooming during movie mode?

The only camera I have seen that allows this so far is the Canon Powershot S1 (apparently because the zoom is quiet).

Even with the noise, it would be GREAT to have this feature in a compact package. Are there any others who do it?
I don't think the M1 will have zoom during movie mode. That is just my speculation since none of the current and new Sony digital stills do this.

I know a few Pentax cameras let you zoom while recording a movie. My friends Optio330RS can do this albeit no sound and 320x240 @ 15fps.

Cyril
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:50 PM   #5

I had the Sony DSC-W1 and it could not zoom during video mode. I returned that camera and I am getting the Canon S1 IS today. From all the reviews I have read and sample videos I have seen, the resolution looks excellent. Plus, it is the only cam that I know of which can actually zoom during the video mode. Since you can't get a 10x digital camcorder with opticalimage stabalization for under 1000 dollars, this cam is a great alternative.

-B
bberg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 3:04 PM   #6

Note, I just read the following review which suggests the M1 *WILL* allow zoom during movie mode..

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml

Note, I appreciate the posts about the Canon S1. For what it's worth, I plan to make the S1 my first real digital camcorder (10x zoom, image stabilization) and the Sony M1 my pocket snapshot/video-vignette device.

Hope the M1 ships soon!

--Mark.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 3:32 PM   #7

ahhh missed reading that in the review before

anyways S1 as a camcorder??
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 4:20 PM   #8

I simply mean, I plan to use the S1as my only camcorder in places a year ago I'd have used a DVor other camcorder by hand or on a tripod.

My thinking - it will hold <2h of video on flash memory which means faster loading to PC, skips any conversion steps (saving more time) and gets me to editing and DVD burning quicker.

I guess I'm truly buying into flash/MPEG based video recording.

--Mark.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 3:18 PM   #9

Consuegra wrote:
Quote:
I simply mean, I plan to use the S1as my only camcorder in places a year ago I'd have used a DVor other camcorder by hand or on a tripod.

My thinking - it will hold <2h of video on flash memory which means faster loading to PC, skips any conversion steps (saving more time) and gets me to editing and DVD burning quicker.

I guess I'm truly buying into flash/MPEG based video recording.

--Mark.
2 hours of video? How do you figure that? When taking video the S1 IS fills up a 1GB flash card in 9 minutes. Even a 4GB microdrive would only get you 36min.
Boxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 4:28 PM   #10

Doofus alert.

I've been meaning to correct this post. You are absolutely correct about the storage requirements. I misread the specs on the Canon S1 (apparently looking at a lower resolution mode) and for some reason thought I could get more than 10min of high quality on a 1GB card.. Wishful thinking.

I'm chomping at the bit for the concept of a true solid state camcorder I guess.The storage factor is just not there yet (much less the cost of said storage).

I'm glad the M1 has zoom during movie (clips) at least.

--Mark.