Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 14, 2004, 7:21 AM   #1

Hy guys. I purchased a sony dsc w1 three months ago. I was very pleased with the camera but had to send it back since dust went onto the ccd. I received a new camera from the store but, after two weeks... again small dots on my pics. did anybody notice the same problem? is it a pitfall in dsc w1 design or I am simply... unlucky?:evil:
baroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:47 AM   #2
rg7

It seems unlikely that you got dust on the CCD in the first place. A repetition seems (to me) very unlikely. More likely you have the camera set to 400 ISO and it is noise you are seeing. I have also had my W1 for 3 weeks, and have noticed no such problem. Alternatively, try the reset button (on the bottom of the camera) and see if this changes anything.
rg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 1:12 PM   #3
Administrator

I don't think the problem is widespread (at least I hope not). However, I have seen multiple users on more than one forum report dust spots with the W1.

Here are examples of dust spots from a user album:

http://www.pbase.com/geh

As a general rule, if it's dust on the lens, you'll see it at wide angle. However, if it's dust on or near the sensor, you'll see it at full zoom (as in the examples above).

You are the third user I've seen report getting two consecutive W1's with dust (if that is what yours is, too).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 3:59 PM   #4

to Jimc: that's exactly the kind of spot I've seen on my dsc w1! and it happened to me twice with two different cams! I've just sent it back to the reseller and I think I'll switch to a Nikon 5200...
baroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:13 AM   #5

That's very strange. I've had 3 W1s and that's never happened to any of them. What has Sony Said?
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote