Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 6, 2002, 11:43 AM   #1

Default Filter for F717

First: I don't have a lot of experience with digital cameras. I have had a HP 315 for about a year. I bought a DiMage 7i last weekend but took it back yesterday and got the Sony F717.
When I bought my daughter her Nikon FM10 (photography class required manual 35mm camera) the store put on a UV filter. I am told that UV filters are not required on digital cameras. I would like to put something on if for no other reason than to protect the lens. How do filters affect the IR focusing on the 717? Does anyone have some suggestions?

[Edited on 10-6-2002 by Brooks P]
Brooks P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2002, 11:45 AM   #2

why did you return the 7i?

this is what you lost:
RAW capability

high capacity cf cards up to 1 gb right now and going higher

locked into propiatary batt sys

locked into mem sticks max 128MB right now

lost wide angle

lost tele

lost 2 levels of macro

the filter will have no affect on the focus or image quality. be sure to get a multicoated one of good manufacture- hoya HMC B&W

[Edited on 10-6-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2002, 11:56 AM   #3

The store didn't have a powered display model so I really couldn't get a feel for the camera. GREAT features. CHEAP plastic grip. Viewfinder sparkles with any movement. Viewfinder not easily used while wearing glasses. At the AllDimage web site author speaks highly of camera except Minolta has his waiting for parts. Other forums have too many complaints about quality control - one poll stated 17% defect rate not including recall for defective power switch. Several posts complaining about knobs falling off.
Friend loaned me his 707, liked the feel better than 7i.
Old Oct 6, 2002, 12:17 PM   #4

sorry in my opinion you just returned the superior camera and were mislead. i could go into detail on each of the things you mention above but i feel you'll be just as happy with the 717.

i've owned 3
1 was sold to a friend the 7 he loves it.
the 7i is going to another friend this week.

i guess i keep making the same mistake over and over.

the 7Hi is the keeper. i was after a high frame rate in RAW image thats why i updated.

[Edited on 10-6-2002 by sjms]
Old Oct 6, 2002, 1:38 PM   #5

On the one I had, the diopter wheel was very hard to move making small adjustments to the focusing very difficult. Even when I did get it focused the edges were blurry, also noted by Steve. For me the Sony view finder is easier to use.

The sparkle is just that, wind moving grass or leaves causes the image to sparkle or dance. I don't get that with the Sony.

One feature I thought I would like on the 7i was the mechanical zoom, except mine made a noise like rubbing sand paper that could be heard several feet away, it just didn't feel smooth.

I took about 100 pictures with the 7i about all I had time for during the week. For the most part I was very pleased with the results, some of the flash shots were a little washed out. A few of the shots were better than the Sony, but a few of the shots from the Sony were superior.

I think it's great that you have had such good luck with your 7 series, I have had good luck with my Maxxum 5000i and was looking forward to the 7i. I think the 7i is probably more advanced than I am ready for at this time.

But this isn't addressing my question as to what filter I need.
Old Oct 6, 2002, 4:45 PM   #6

yes your correct

putting on a uv filter will not affect the autofocus system at all. it will protect the front element.
do yourself a favor and get a multicoated one from Hoya (HMC) or B&W. these brands use the highest quality glass and coatings.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 10:17 PM   #7

Thanks for the information!!!
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote