Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 29, 2004, 1:28 AM   #11

No they do not.

I wrote them the same thing I wrote you.

First they said that this question is to complex to be answered in an e-mail. They gave me a telephone number (US) to ask. I am in Romania and it's very expensive to telephone in the US just for this. I insisted with the e-mail ant they gave me an answer wayyy out of the subject. They explained me once again what P,A,S,M modes mean (!!!)

I think it's something in connection with the exposure time. If you repeat the experiment you will see that, in low light, for all exposure times longer than 2 sec the EV indication is incorrect (will show overexposure). If you add a little light, you will see that for exposure times shorter than 2sec the EV indication is correct.

In fact, for all exposure times greater than 2 sec the EV will indicate the overexposure of the picture, even in complete darkness.

I wonder if other Sony cameras are working in the same way. Please try this with the other Sony Cameras you have.

If you will have a reasonable answer from Sony for this please post it here.

Thank you very much,

Alex Stoicia

salex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 2:32 AM   #12

My F717 is the only full manual camera I have and it does the EXACT same thing. All my other "P" series cameras have partial manual mode and even at a 30 second shutter with an f2.8 setting the ev displays correct depending on the light. I have noticed that Sony is terrible in answering any technical questions.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 2:32 AM   #13

Sony has always been terrible with their customer support and answers to technical questions about their products. It's all about speaking to the right person that has a clue what is going on, which is veryhard to find!
Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:04 AM   #14

DSCv1 and F717 are very similar. It is almost the same camera except the lenses. It is possible to be a bug that proliferated from F 717 to V1. I wonder if Sony knows about it.

But how to tell them? I have the sensation that at customer service I write to 12 year kids. I ask a question and they answer to another.

Maybe this problem will be solved with a firmware upgrade. This is possible only if Sony will find it out.

Best wishes,

Alex
salex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 8:36 AM   #15

Dear Chris,

I am quite impressed with your collection. I am a marketing professional in India and have just taken up photography..purely as a recreation. based on what I saw on the net and otherwise...i have zeroed down on the DSC P73 as my first camera. I wish to use this as a still camera and with a sufficient memory stick even the odd video seems a possibility. However i was giving a serious thought to DSC P93. I wonder if you would have an opinion on either of these cameras as the ones to start with. My budget is flexible and i would be grateful for your advise.

You may write to me at [email protected]. Will wait for ur advice.

Thanks

Rajat
rajat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 9:42 AM   #16

Its true indeed. I contact them regarding the W1's fuzziness. They reply to you all sorts of unrelated answers.

I think they have an archive of several dozens of prepared answers. Then the person at the support just pastes you the one he thinks is matching.

After I mailed them my complaint they tried telling me how to use manual mode. What the hell?!

Anyhow they finally gave me an address in New Jersey which should take care of these things, and contact the proper technical department. If you want it I can give it to you.
Deadlock-83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 4:21 AM   #17
blr

Deadlock-83 wrote:
Quote:
Its true indeed. I contact them regarding the W1's fuzziness. They reply to you all sorts of unrelated answers.

I think they have an archive of several dozens of prepared answers. Then the person at the support just pastes you the one he thinks is matching.

After I mailed them my complaint they tried telling me how to use manual mode. What the heck?!

Anyhow they finally gave me an address in New Jersey which should take care of these things, and contact the proper technical department. If you want it I can give it to you.
Yes please post the address to the tech department. Perhaps we can also ask them about the W1 lack of detail
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 8:54 AM   #18

Well, its not the technical department but the guys who should be taking care of these matters.

Anyhow the address is as follows:

Sony Electronics Inc.
Attn: Corporate Communications
1 Sony Drive
Park Ridge, NJ 07656
Deadlock-83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 5:22 PM   #19

Hey Chris.
I'm considering between w1 and v1. Which one would you recommend. which one takes the best images. Thanks
gizmo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 4:23 AM   #20

Absolutely with out a doubt, the V1 takes better pictures. The ONLY three advantages of the W1 are: 1. Big screen 2. Faster startup 3. AA batteries. The V1 has a much better lens and way more options and controls.