Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 6, 2004, 7:59 AM   #21

I home tested the V1 earlier this year for a possible upgrade. I though it's images had the edge on the other 5mp Sony cameras but this was only noticeable with enlargements at 100% viewing on the PC monitor.

My main issue was that it was just too big to be a take-everywhere point and shoot. Plus it was a bit "old fashioned" in the controls and handling such that it took a bit more concentration.

If that suits you though then I think it is something of a classic camera.

Remember to budget for an extra pricey InfoLithium battery and stand-alone charger with the V1 compared with the W1.

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:24 PM   #22

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I want the V1 over the W1
gizmo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 1:00 PM   #23

Gizmo! I for one have the W1 and it takes great pictures ! I have many years of experience wit ha 35 mm and you need to haver a steady hand and wait till the green focus light "locks" on focus. Color is very lifelike, adn no other problems....

Many people think that it is a bad camera but maybe it was a defective one and if youxchange it, you will be fine. The V1 has a much smaller LCD making it more difficult to focus and it is much bigger to carry in a pocket
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 8:50 PM   #24

Cyber ShotNut -
I am going to buy either the V3 or the Canon G6. I am really anxious to find out how good the V3 is going to be when it arrives. So let us know what you think. I read in another thread that you were going to get one as soon as you could.

Also, I was wondering if you have the HVL-F32X Auto Programmable flash. If you do, does the IR assist lamp work with the V1 (if so I figure it will work with the V3). I was just asking because I am still considering the G6, but one of my concerns with this camera is that the IR assist lamp on the 550 and 580 speelights do not function with the G series cameras.

Thanks!
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:02 PM   #25

I see Sony just added the V3 to their site so hopefully it will be available here locally within the next few weeks. I do not own the HVL-F32X flash but have a friend with one and it worked very well with my V1 and F717. The flash uses a laser low light focusing assist which is much more powerful and accurate than an IR one and it works perfectly with my V1 even with a conversion lens attached.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 9:32 PM   #26

I noticed that the V3 was on the Sony website last week, but I just checked it again and it still says "shipping date not available. We will notify you by email when this product has shipped" when you add it to the cart and then view it for checkout. I tried this with another camera that has been out for awhile and it says something like "usually ships within 24 hours". Anyway, it will get here eventually. Oh, I also noticed that my local Circuit City has the sign up and an empty spot to display the V3, but it obviously not in stock yet.

So back to the flash. I know that the V3 is equpped with laser assist focus, but if you are using an external flash for photos over 30 feet or so you'll need something more for focus assist. I thought the red lamp below the flash bulb was an IR lamp, but are you saying that it is a laser lamp?

Thanks for answering my questions I appreciate it!
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:27 AM   #27

Yes, i'm sorry, you are correct, the flash has a strip of IR LEDs on the bottom. I don't do much indoor flash photography so I haven't had a need to go out and spent $150+ on the HVL-F32X for myself. Maybe one day I'll get one If I can find a good deal on a used one on ebay or somewhere.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 3:09 PM   #28

I recently bought a black SONY-W1. Although I am quite satisfied with it till now Its 2.5inches LCD and fast start mechanism is just too good. It looks very compact and easier to hold. What I expect more is...full manual settings like all ranges of aperature and advanced features like shutter priority and aperature priority etc. It also lacks in shooting modes and more surprisingly it doesnt hava ny action/sports mode. Its practically impossible to get a sharp standstill pic of any action/sports even in around evenings... The inbuilt noise ruduction algorithm tends to soften almost all images even those too which are taken in good lights and have no noise.

Here are a few pictures I took by this cam myself.

http://img15.exs.cx/img15/6269/DSC00215_Njpg.jpg
http://img15.exs.cx/img15/5025/DSC00250_Njpg.jpg
http://img48.exs.cx/img48/5272/wp5.jpg

cheers...
slowwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 3:37 PM   #29

CyberShotNut

I'm sure you've been asked this before... Why Sony? Just curious. But more importantly, since you have a lot of experience with all of these cameras you have to also have a lot of experience with buying them. If you don't mind my asking, are you getting an extra good deal on these cameras and if so where do you buy... When we "talked" about the V3 you said you were waiting until it is available locally.. do they have a website or catalog that they ship from?
Old Oct 24, 2004, 6:44 PM   #30

I usually get most of my cameras online from liquidators and open box customer returns, usually on ebay. Sometimes i'll buy cameras with a cracked LCD or stripped lens gears, get parts cameras and repair them. Sony cams were the first ones I started working on and I know the mechanical assembly of most of them, so it's easy for me to work on them. Some cameras I'll pay full price for locally and if the V3 is as good as the previews make it seem, I won't mind going to a local electronics store and paying $699 for it.