Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:18 AM   #1

Help me...I am in dire straits.

Just when I am about to buy the Sony W1 (W12 actually) I get sidetracked by another camera. This time it is the Canon A95.

I am a relative photography beginner. I am looking for a camera that will take great photos when I go travelling. However I expect that I will want more manual function as I get better, so in addition to a camera that takes great photos in auto mode, I also want one that has manual ability that I can grow into.

These are my criteria:
1) Great photo quality
2) Great photoquality on auto mode
3) Camera about the size of the W1.
4) About the same price too.
5) As much manual function as possible

Great photo quality is the most important thing. Whilst A95 has manual function I want (W1 does not have shutter-speed nor aperture priority) if its picture quality is not as good as that on the W1, then the W1 will always win.

So basically the question is about image quality and manual control. Is there any difference in photo quality between the two? And what are the manual control functions like on the W1?

Help me please. Comments and advice from any and everybody is welcomed (actually desperately needed!)
Martin.
incognito167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2004, 2:21 PM   #2

Hello! Did not you already ask this at the prtevious forum?

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28

Why not go to a store and try for yourself and see? The W1 is a great camera but it is missing some manual features/// The way I feel is : if you are not paid to do photography, you will never find the time to improve to the point that you will MISS the manual features... And if you do try to play with it, you most likely will blame the camera rather than yourself! (jst a human nature, trust me, I am a shrink!)

So, instead of enjoying the W1 you will complaint like others do because the pictures are blurred... Noone says that their hands are shaky or they dont have a clue how to take a picture!!! Steve says that the W1 sampleas are impressive - go get the camera and enjoy it... It is nore pocketable than the Canon A95 and the huge LCD is a B I G plus !

SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:01 PM   #3

Gez . . . Sal from Italy . . . pardon me but I think you're a bit harsh with "Incognito". Yes he did "cross post" the same question in the Canon forum, but in this case I don't think it's a problem because he is comparing a Canon to a Sony and he is asking those knowledable in both forums of their opinions.

Secondly, youtell himthat ifhe's not a "Pro" (making a living with cameras)he will never grow and learn to the point of taking advantage of manual camera features. Oh really? I would speak for yourself on that, as many who are non-pros have indeed found the time to "grow" in learning manual modes.

Finally, yes Steve did indicate that the W1 was an excellent camera, but he also correctly noted that it's image processing was overly aggressive as far as noise suppression. Many owning this camera have also correctly indicated that images tend to be a bit soft.

I would like to encourage "Incognito" to fully explore various manual modes and tell him that he does not need to be a "Pro" to explore any camera's functions. This is how we learn and grow. "Encouraging" members to explore their cameras functions rather than "discouraging" them that they will only "complain" if something doesn't work out is counterproductive at best. Explore away "Incognito"! Personally, I would go with the Canon A95 so that you can in fact explore and grow!
Dark Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 6:03 AM   #4
blr

To give my 2 euro cents.

IMO both cameras are great. Looking at samples and being a new owner of W1 I can say that the photo quality is about the same. Canon cameras will produce a bit sharper image with a bit more noise, perhaps you can get the results almost to mach if you sharpen the W1 output in PS slightly. The Carl-Zeiss optics of the W1 produce a bit less purple fringing than the Canon optics at high contrast areas but the Canon is not bad either.

In terms of features the cameras differ more. The W1 does not have that much manual control. There is no Av and Tv modes and no manual white balance. On the other hand the Sony has bigger screen, nicer movie mode and is a bit faster to operate. It is more pocketable and lighter. It's up to you to decide which of these features are important to you. For me it was no brainer since I already own a prosumer digicam that has all the features of A95 and more, so I needed a simpler more pocketable camera
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 9:12 AM   #5

To Cobra and Incognito ! First of all, i did not intend to come on as you put it, harsh, and if you got that impression - sorry about it...

But one point- I am an enthusiast who knows a lot about photography and used and still do my own developing and printing of 35mm taken photos, so I tried the W1 and adjusting sharpness, EV and so on , was able to take fenomenal shots, and using the teleconverter lens and slave flash had excellent rresults...

The point is that majority of the people tend to bring a smaller camera always around and a bigger one is more at home, so you kind of miss on opportunities to learn digital as much if the camera is at home! The W1 sharpness depends on the steadiness of your hand.... The Canon lens is inferior to Carl Zeiss , it is a known fact...

Som to answer your question - I still think that the best thing to do is to go to a store, pop in a memory stick into the W1 , shoot some pictures, go home, load them to a PC and see for yourself if you are happy with the images... No 2 pairs of eyes see the same image in the same way, so I still stay by my oroiginal advise - experiment, try, explore and decide which one you like more.. SONY and CANON are two respectable makers of camras anbd you can not go wrong with either of them... And also the Canon is most likely using Sony's CCD anyway, just like most others do!
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:51 AM   #6

Sal, I recently bought a W1 and I am happy with it. I am a newbie though so I don't think my expectations were very high to be perfectly honest.

In this thread you mentioned "adjusting sharpness" and this is something I have heard in other threads. What settings do you recommend in general for the W1?
jimjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:03 AM   #7
blr

jimjiber wrote:
Quote:
Sal, I recently bought a W1 and I am happy with it. I am a newbie though so I don't think my expectations were very high to be perfectly honest.

In this thread you mentioned "adjusting sharpness" and this is something I have heard in other threads. What settings do you recommend in general for the W1?
I usually leave the sharpness to "Normal" and sharpen afterwards in PS, since I want more control. However you can set it to "+" and forget about sharpening later. I also use contrast set to "-" almost all the time, except when shooting in very dull light. When sunny I use "-" contrast and -0.3 EV exposure compensation to avoid burned out highlights.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote