Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 10, 2004, 6:57 AM   #21

And here is the same shot, in the same conditions, taken with the P12.

David
Attached Images

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:39 AM   #22

what camera did u use to take the first picture with ??

it looks terrible .

@cybershot, if u must choose 1 camera base on your experience, when money is no object, which one will u choose ??

W1,P10, or P100 ??

10-Dee-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 1:37 AM   #23

It has to be up to you. They are all capable of good images. I like the look of the W1 but it is missing the fast shutter/sport mode (which you might not want given the odd way it operates) the the P10 and P100 have.

The W1 LCD is very large, the P100 OK and the P10 a bit to small.

The P10 and P100 might be better shaped for your pockets.

And then there is the noise reduction system on the W1 and P100 that we have discussed in detail above.

Anyway the W1 & P100aren't strictly comparable with the P10 as I bet that will be hard to find new now being a discontinued model.

The only reason I posted on here in the begining was to say if you liked the P10 so much before why not search out another.

There may even be a better camera for your use from another maker!

David
Old Oct 12, 2004, 3:44 AM   #24

hi thx,

but the problem is that i 'm a beginner in digicam world my first digicam is the P10

so i "think" i like the picture of it , but actually i maybe wrong cause i never tried any other brand before cause here in my country they don;t offer return policy, so i must serch on the web to get what camera that i want.

after the p10, i tried T1 and the casio exilim Z40 and i notice that the pictures are worse thatn the p10

so i 'm in search for other camera, that can take a better picture thatn the P10

as for other brand , i afraid to try them cause i;m afraid that i lose musch of money just by trying them and selling it a gain if i dun like them at very low price ( cause here in my country, the digicam isn;t so popular yet )

so i need an advice from pros here like Mr cybershot to guide me :G

10-Dee-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:42 AM   #25

Cybershot455 wrote:
Quote:
I like the look of the W1 but it is missing the fast shutter/sport mode (which you might not want given the odd way it operates) the the P10 and P100 have.
but the W1 and the P100 have exactly the same specs besides the LCD/Battery....
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:18 PM   #26
blr

Cybershot455 wrote:
Quote:
And here is the same shot, in the same conditions, taken with the P12.

David
David don't want to drag this for too long but your test or rather the images you posted are difficult to compare. The first image is severely overexposed and the scale is not the same. Yes it does show some purple fringing but not so severe IMO. Try to overexpose by 2 stops with the P10 and compare again. I don't know how the A75 image was taken and why it ended up so overexposed, perhaps because the poll occupies a small area of the picture and this tricked the metering system
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 5:45 PM   #27

CVonV,

Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought one of the differences was that the W1 had no fast shutter/sports scene mode??

blr,

You are right to question the fact that those images are not an identical pair that folks can look at to "prove" the case without suspecting I was trying to make one camera look worse than the other. The different sizeswere just the crude way I cropped the images months ago to mail to some folks who were interested. The section shown is a crop from a larger image with the pole, sky, trees, hedges and grass. The metering should have got it right really.

As far as the way of improving the A75 image with compensation.... That was rather my point with the whole A75 trial. Left to fully auto that is the type of result it would produce for me in similar circumstances. The P10 on auto got it right99% of thetime. I want to pull out the camera on auto most of the time and get nice results.

Anyway it's no big deal...we both like our own cameras and accept they each have particular issues.....at the end of the day it is the enjoyment of ownership and resultingimages that matters.

10-Dee-Q,

I'm not an expert, just an enthusiast.My opinion has no more worth than any other here.......I have to say again you need to decide yourself from trying the cameras, if only in the shop.

David

Old Oct 13, 2004, 7:44 AM   #28

Cybershot455 wrote:
Quote:
CVonV,

Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought one of the differences was that the W1 had no fast shutter/sports scene mode??
They both have the same scene modes and they both have manual shutter speed and aperture controls. Specs are identical besides the ones I mentioned above. The W1 is basically just a different form factor version of the P100 or vice versa.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 1:46 AM   #29

CVonV,

It matters not which of us is right as far as it goes....except from the point of helping others who may be deciding between the W1, P100 and others.

I was waiting foir the W1 to be stocked in the shops in the UK just after itslaunch as I was sure I wanted that particular camera. Then on this forum someone who was also very serious about the same purchase pointed out there was no fast shutter/sports mode on the W1. He showed that the P100 added three scene modes over the W1, fast shutter-beach-fireworks.

I have a copy of the Sony spec sheet for both cameras and their instruction books in front of me (all from around June 2004) which confirm this point. I was surprised myself as I couldn't see the logic of removing three important modes from the W1 as, like you, I thought they should be just a different shape. I wanted a W1 for the reasons you gave (square shape, LCD and AAs) but decided not to wait because of the lack of fast shutter mode.

I can't remember if you actually own a W1....if so is it a very new one andhave they added the fast shutter mode now.....or was the Sony instruction manual etc wrong all along?

Of course we have since foud out that the Sony fast shutter mode works in a weird way and isn't the advantage it might be.

David

Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:28 AM   #30

Cybershot455 wrote:
Quote:
He showed that the P100 added three scene modes over the W1, fast shutter-beach-fireworks.

I can't remember if you actually own a W1....if so is it a very new one and have they added the fast shutter mode now.....or was the Sony instruction manual etc wrong all along?
It's actually my mistake. The P100 does have 3 additional modes (the W1 actually has beach, but it doesn't have snow). Sorry about that.

And as you said, I too am now questioning why Sony decided not to include those three modes in the W1.

Quote:
Of course we have since foud out that the Sony fast shutter mode works in a weird way and isn't the advantage it might be.
Whats the issue with the fast shutter mode? Can you compensate by using the manual mode?

Cyril