Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 21, 2004, 3:59 PM   #1

Hi I'm newbie here, and would like help from all the pros here.

Ok let's get to the problem.

I own a 1 year old Sony P10 and i'm very happy with the pictures and video quality,As i'm not a pro, i just use the auto settings, and the p10 did the job perfectly in my honest opinion. The only complaints i have is that the camera is quite big for my liking ,and also the LCD screen is too small

my Fiancee own a Kyocera Finecam S5 , and she really dissapointed with it , the pictures quality is good, but the lag from the time u turn on the camera and start taking pictures is just horrible, a lot of times she miss the object such as pets and moving oblects. So i told her to sell her Kyocera and give her my beloved Sony P10 instead.

Now the problem is that i want to buy aother camera for myself , things that important to me is that i want my camera to be as small as possible and also having at least same or better image than my P10 could give.After deciding for a while, my picks is the Casio Z40.Nice design, fabulous battery life.But after a while i started to notice a bad things about it. Though it has a big 2" LCD but the resolution on the LCD it self is very bad , not as good as the P10 which only has 1,5"LCD!I told my self thats it's not a big problem. BUt when i took it with me during a vacation to a beach side, then i realise that i made a wrong choice, the Picture quality is really really bad!! Wheter it;s indoor or outdoor shots, the piceture seems to have alot of noise , and also the pixelation is very noticeable! (I always use auto mode as i dont know how to set the manual controls) Compared to my P10 .I always use 3MP on my P10 , so i expect same or even better picture on my Z40 using it;s full 4MP resolution.

Anyway i'm very dissapointed with my Z40 and now i'm in search again for a cameraa that would perfectlly fit my needs. I was thingking about the SONY T1 , cause i really like the model and also that 2,5 LCD and also after my good impressions of sony from my P10.

Is the T1the perfect camera for me ?? can somebody help me ??

What i need from a camera are:

-As small as possible

-At least 3 MP

-large LCD

for additionnal information, i mainly use my camera to photograph decorated fish tanks(as i work as a fish tank decorator) When i photograph a fish tank i never use anyflash as the fish tank has it own light and also because the flash will be reflected by the glass. And also i sometimes take my camera on vacation, parties, function dinner, anything , and everyday life.

I heard taht the T1 has a bad flash range, but how does this effect the picture qualitty compared to the P10 that i previously owned ? And also is the T1 picture qualitty will be much worse than the P10 or just slightly?

I dont need a sophisticated state-of-the-art camera, i just need a simple piont-and-shoot camera that's is small and also give me a decent picture name it outdoor, indoor, night or in bright sun light.Thatwill give me about the same image quality that i had with my p10

Please help me or give me some info, if the T1 is not that perfect for me, than can somebody please recommend me others ?

sorry for my broken english

thx for the help:?
10-Dee-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2004, 4:46 PM   #2

I never tried the Casio Z40 but I'll have to say, of all the Sony cameras I ever owned, the only one that truely disappointed me is the T1, aside from it's small, slim size I can't really say much good about it.It's way too expensive for what it is. The slowest shutter speed on the T1 is 1 sec. which is no where near slow enough to take goodnight scene shots, plus there is no tripod mount. Compared to the 2.5" W1 display, the T1 has a double the pixels but it is a hybrid display which is dimmer and the colors are not as accurate. As just about everyone has stated in their reviews, the flash is almost useless. Aside froma tripod mount, I don't see much improvement in the upcoming T3.

If you want an update to the P10, check out the P93, P100 or W1 all 3 have given me good results, but even for a cheaper camera, the P93 has given me the best results of the 3 so far... Hope this helps.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:42 AM   #3

Please don't bother with the T1. I had it for a day, and handheld indoor shots without flash came out horrible. After 2 months of research, I got a Sony P100 and found it to be great. Check my impressions here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...18&forum_id=28
Rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 6:11 AM   #4

hi thx for the reply :P
btw does anyone know how does the new P100 compare to the old P10 ??

and also is there any other brand digicams that will give me a bout the same picture quality, speed and also as small and as light as my old P10 ??

i love sony, but it would be better if there is other brand camera that could replace my p10 , that could use MMC or SD cards :P

thx
10-Dee-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:25 AM   #5

The P100 will be very good for you. The W1 will be a nice substitute as well. The P100 and W1hace the Carl-Zeiss lens which will produce better images than Sony's own lens (which the P10 uses). The question is will you go for the smaller size, smaller screen and Li-Ion battery of the P100 or the bigger size, bigger screen and AA NiMH batteries of the W1?

As others have said, the T1/T11/T3 do not produce good images particularly due to it's extremely small CCD. This is a very common problem with ultra compact cameras (like the Casio Z40 which uses the same lens as the Pentax S40i). The fact that the T1 uses a non-protruding lens (Olympus AZ1/AZ2 and some Minolta cameras have this too) is even more of a factor in the lack of quality of images. Also do note that the T1 is very susceptible to red-eye because the flash is so close to the lens. And yes the flash range of the T1 is very limited.

Hope that helps,
Cyril
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 3:17 AM   #6

All cameras have some negative points so if you liked the P10 so much for its images why not get another? Now discontinued so there might stillbe some about at good discounts.

I have the P12 (P10 in blue with extras) and agree the LCD is smaller than ideal, however the camera itself is not exactly huge and anything much smaller like the T1 can come with its own issues.

I note the commemt..."The P100 and W1have the Carl-Zeiss lens which will produce better images than Sony's own lens (which the P10 uses)".

I agree in theory the Carl-Zeiss lens could produce slightly better images in some circumstances but the P10 has always been known for pretty nice sharp images anyway so in many cases the actual lens might not be the deciding factor.

It could just be that the reported odd image results from the W1 and P100 due totheir noise reduction processing could actually mean the overall images from these two were worse than those from a P10 in some/many circumstances.

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:44 AM   #7
blr

Cybershot455 wrote:
Quote:
I note the commemt..."The P100 and W1have the Carl-Zeiss lens which will produce better images than Sony's own lens (which the P10 uses)".

I agree in theory the Carl-Zeiss lens could produce slightly better images in some circumstances but the P10 has always been known for pretty nice sharp images anyway so in many cases the actual lens might not be the deciding factor.

It could just be that the reported odd image results from the W1 and P100 due totheir noise reduction processing could actually mean the overall images from these two were worse than those from a P10 in some/many circumstances.

David
I agree the overall image quality is perhaps more determined by post processing than by lens quality. The Carl- Zeiss lens on W1 and P100 is worth it because it has very little purple fringing. W1 is my fourth compact digicam and clearly the best when it comes to purple fringing. There is almost no purple fringing to be found on the images. Corner sharpness is also better than any other small lens compact I've used. The barrel distortion is not much better than the rest though. It is true that W1 and P100 produce overall slightly softer images than the majority of 5 MP compacts. However, after some sharpening in PS the imeges look great. Noise levels are very low indeed (hence the softness) and higher ISO are posiible, at least at ISO 200 the images look as good as many cams at ISO100. All in all if you don't mind spending some time with your imagers in PS W1 is a nice camera overall, not without its weaknesses but no camera is ideal
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:55 AM   #8

I'm not knocking the W1 blr, nearly got one last time. I would have to home test to make sure I couldn't see this "fuzzy" look that gets talked about though.

The P10 is already very good for minimal purple fringing, far better than many highly regarded Canon cameras in its price range.

I did home test the V1 with the Carl Zeiss lens and could see improvements over the P12 in some shots. Assuming the V1 has the same processing as the P12 (same era of camera) then that small difference should be down to the lens.

Of course the W1 lens is still made by Sony isn't it??

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:43 PM   #9

OK with regards to this CZ Lens discussion... the non-CZ lens of my P72 is absolutely atrocious. Be that as it may, it does not mean that CZ lenses = great image quality. Just take a look at the T1 for example.However my W1 produces brilliant images imo, specially comparing it to my P72.
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 8:47 PM   #10

I reciently bought the sony T1 and cannot be happier. The reason why indoor shots are so bad is because of the 3.8-4.4 apature of the lens. Most cameras are about 2.8 to 3.4, so this lens won't take in much light, but really the flash pictures turn out pretty well and outside shots are just excellent, one suggestion though, leave it on the 3MP resolution since the CCD imager says it's a 5mp but actually it's inline with a 4MP camera. but for it's size and extremely fast turn on speed, it's a great choice. And just to let you know, the new T3 that's coming out has basically the same specs as this T1. So you won't miss anything!
blackcat1134 is offline   Reply With Quote