Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 25, 2004, 3:35 PM   #1

Hello, guys. I'm looking for telephoto lens for my f717. I did some research on this forum. Original Sony is too expensive. Seems like the most price/valuable is Olympus TCON17. But there were some discussion about Raynox.

I'm wondering... if the Rynox lens aren't better than TCON17 , why than they cost more ? Here're links to pricing at Etronics:
http://etronics.resultspage.com/... ...y.php?w=TCON+17&p=Q&ts=dynamic
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=raydcr1850probk

I learned from forums that when we talk about lens, the higher price the better quality. If so, what about Raynox 1850 /TCON17 price/quality ? Have you guys try the Raynox ???
Regards, Stan.
Stason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2004, 5:05 PM   #2

Good luck with your choice! I have the Sony VCL-HGD 1758. It is pricey but I found it on the web for $190. The quality is great. It produces very sharp images. It also works with the "movie mode". I have been very pleased with the results but it is heavy though.

Good luck with your choice! You obviously made a great choice of cameras! I have been thrilled with mine. I had a 16 x 20 poster pritned and it turned out great. The photo was the same as my "signature" on the left.

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 7:43 PM   #3

Absolutely agree with you, Trique Daddi, the camera is great for the money. I love my F717, pretty happy with it.
Well, but I find the Sony VCL-HGD 1758 to be too expensive , since I'm not going to use telephoto lens too often.

So what do you guys recommend, the Raynox glass or the Olympus's TCON17s ??
I will also need some good wide angle lens and a polirized filter. Any recommendations on that?

Thanks !
Stan.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 5:55 PM   #4

Hi Stan,

I have spent quite some time reflecting on the same questions as you do now. In fact I can't tell you wether the Olympus or the Raynox would be preferable. Though I have seen many pictures made with the combination f717 and TCon 17 that looked very good and sharp. Since the Olympus lens is considerably cheaper than the Raynox, I see no reason not to give the Olympus a try. I don't think you would get better results with the Raynox (maybe not even with the sony).

I just have bought the Raynox dcr 720 wideangle (50 $) and I must say that I am pretty satisfied. The lens produces a strong barrel distortion but at least it doesn't cause any vignetting and the pictures are sharp throughout all areas. The barrel distortion can be corrected easyly by using a photoshop filter (image factory's debarrelizer). So in the end you will be able to shoot 28 mm photos with your 717 without spending a fortune for the sony wideangle. The spare money can be used for more usefull things, I think (like the Olympus tcon-17 for example :-)). After all, a teleconversion lens will allways be a compromise. I know some people who spend a lot of money for a product they hardly ever use. This - I believe- should be taken into account as well.

If you are searching for higher quality though, I still wouldn't recommend the original sony lens but rather the canon wc dc58n. It has a 58 mm thread like the sony, produces good images, costs more than 100 $ less and weighs only about half of the sony. Another alternative would be the Raynox pro 6600 which also offers a very good image quality if you do not use it at 100 % wideangle (you can check out some samples at "http://www.lensmateonline.com/g3_samples.html").

If you want to buy a polarized filter, make sure you get one with a good coating protection (these parts tend to be very delicate).

greetings

naftade

naftade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:03 PM   #5

naftade,
Thanks a lot for detailed explanation !
Yes, I will go for TCON17.

As of Raynox dcr 720 , I have not found this model in any reviews yet, did you get this after reviews recommendations ?
Well, the price isn't too bad, I think I will go with this one too, especially if you say the quality is good.

Now, regarding polarizer. As I found, many people recommend multi-coated circular polarizers over single-coated ones. The most reasonable brands are Hoya and B+W. Hoya makes multi-coated ones (around $55), not sure if B+W makes multi-coated too. It is also said that circular polarizers are much better for F717 than linear polarizers.

Have you succeeded in finding good affordable polarizing filters ? Any ideas ?

Regards,
Stan.

P.S. Fight with F717's barrel distortion I prefer in Paint Shop Pro 8. Over all, I prefer this program to Photoshop, but this is my personal opinion. Photoshop is a more powerful program, but I find Paint Shop to be much more, to say, convenient and easy to use. Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:39 AM   #6

Hi again,

I'm glad that you could do with my information.

Regarding the raynox dcr 720 I could add, that I haven't read any detailed reviews, but I did see some pictures made with it. What more should I expect from a (very cheap) lens than producing good images? I bought the product after I read a recommendation by Mr Kazutoku (http://kazutoku.cside.com/G3CON_eng.htm - he also has sample pictures on his site) and a (sort of) recommendation by lensmate (I got the information about software debarrelizers from there).

As for the polarized filters, Yes the B+W usually are multi-coated. You can read the protection grade engraved on the side of the filters. MRC means multi-resistant-coating (better protection against water, dust and scratches - also lessens reflections) and KSM means Kaesemann (higher optical clarity and sharpness, improved efficency and longer life). I recently bought a slim version of a b+W circular polarized filter with mrc and ksm which cost me 65 € (around 70 $?). I'm pleased with the product so far, however I have to admit that I didn't really find the time to test it in the fields yet. Maybe you will also achieve good results with a cheaper one. I just bought the b+w (that was also recommended to me byfriends) because it was only ten bucks more than those.

Regards,

Naftade

PS: I am thinking of buying a teleconversion lens too. Maybe I'll purchase the canon tc dc 58n. It's image quality may be a little inferior to the tcon 17, however it is much smaller, lighter, doesn't need a step ring and doesn't look soooo menacingly and professional (....tcon-17 -->)

And....since I'm no professional at all....).

Has anybody made experiences with the set f717 and tc dc58n?

c u

naftade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 8:03 PM   #7

Hi,
I checked the first link, thans. I think I will go with either WC-DC58N or DCR-720.

Ok, as of polarizers, it is clear now. I should go with either Hoya or B+W . Thanks for MRC-KSM abbreviation explanation.

Regards,
Stan.