Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:51 AM   #1

I've sent the following letter to Sony, hoping it will help:

"On the behalf of myself and many other DSC-W1 users whom I have been in contact with on several Internet forums, I would like to bring to your attension the disappointment many users have due to what they consider as "fuzziness" in the photos that camera produces.

Many users complain about blurry pictures, probably as a result of excessive noise reduction. Many potencial buyers have turned down the Sony DSC-W1 because they were unpleased with this performance flaw. This is especially noticable when viewing the images on-screen to 100%. The images aren't as sharp as those produced by similar cameras from Canon, Minolta, and other manufacturers.

This is a big let-down, because otherwise most of us find the W1 to be a truly excellent camera.

We believe it is easily possible to fix the problem using a simple change in firmware. Perhaps an option to have control over the level of noise reduction can greatly help.

Please consider this suggestion as we believe both sides will benefit from this: you will sell more cameras, and we owners will enjoy a better camera.

Please reply to me with your opinions on this."

Hope this might help...
Deadlock-83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:36 PM   #2

It's not just W1 then. I have a DSC-F717 & relative to my OLY C-2100 it's photos are fuzzy. Even with F717 sharpness set to maximum, I have to process nearly every photo in Adobe for sharpness where as the C-2100 photos are useable (almost always) right out of the camera.

This is an area Sony will have to eventually address. I suspect the fix could be done in the firmware, but I agree this does need fixing.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 9:15 AM   #3
blr

Thanks Deadlock-83. Well written. Please keep us informed about the reponse from Sony
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:15 AM   #4

Well, they gave me a mail address in New Jersey, their consumer communications department, which should handle such things.

Today I snail-mailed them a much longer and more detailed letter listing the problems and included your sample images in it.

I told them I was expecting a reply.

It'll probably take at least 2-3 weeks till they'll reply.

Deadlock-83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 3:37 PM   #5
blr

Deadlock-83 wrote:
Quote:
Well, they gave me a mail address in New Jersey, their consumer communications department, which should handle such things.

Today I snail-mailed them a much longer and more detailed letter listing the problems and included your sample images in it.

I told them I was expecting a reply.

It'll probably take at least 2-3 weeks till they'll reply.

Thank you again Deadlock-83 your effort is much appreciated. Please let me know if more testing needs to be done or any help you may need
Old Oct 1, 2004, 2:54 AM   #6
rg7

Yes, thank you vary much for taking this initiative. Hopefully Sony will offer a downloadable firmware upgrade, or at least fix this problem in their future cameras. Please keep us posted!

I'm sure there are many other W-1 users like us that love their cameras despite its flaws, and we would all like to see thisproblem fixed(after all, the main purpose of a camera is to take good pictures, no?). Thanks again!
rg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 8:16 AM   #7

Guys ! So far Sony has never posted a firmware update, and they sell so many cameras that they dont really care... You know the $$expense to post an upgrade? it is cheaper to produce a new model every 6 month than to improve the older ones...

Dont hold your breath, but if I could bet, i would say that Sony isNOT going to do anything ! SO, either we all have to just go to a different make, or admit that most of the flaws lie with us, liek shaking, or blur, or whatever... After all, you cannot get a WV and expect a performance of a Ferrari, no matter how many upgrades will be done ! The W1 is a point and shoot, thats it, and the "supposed" manual modes are for you to get more bells and pay more! So, dont compare the W1 to a SLR or a Canon Pro and start getting petitions... and I know first hand, because I work for SONY Electronics , and even I cannot get good customer service!
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 9:08 AM   #8
blr

SalBolzano wrote:
Quote:
Guys ! So far Sony has never posted a firmware update, and they sell so many cameras that they dont really care... You know the $$expense to post an upgrade? it is cheaper to produce a new model every 6 month than to improve the older ones...
Sony has actually released firmware upgrades for no less than 3 of their current cameras T1, V1 and F828. I doubt the cost of posting an upgrade will be higher than releasing a new model. Reprogramming and testing the firmware can be done in a day or two by the team who created the firmware and posting it on the Sony website is free. It would be a good test for Sony to see whether dhey do care or not.

I've posted a letter to Sony Sweden tyoday, let's see what they'll reply
Old Oct 2, 2004, 3:27 AM   #9
rg7

SalBolzano...perhaps Sony thinks it will lose money overa firware upgrade - by this I suppose you mean because less people will buy the next generation of cameras? - but it is free for them to post on their own website, as blr noted. And really, though it has limited manual controls,the W-1 is at a level above simple point and shoot, where the buyer knows something already about photography. I suspect that most of the buyers of the W-1 have done reasearch online before buying, and they will be influenced by what the owners say in the forums. If owners don't like a camera, they won't buy it. Sony doesn't need to be told that they won't make money if no one buys their products.

-rg

P.S. Good luck, Deadlock and blr. Keep us posted.
rg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 8:33 AM   #10

As other users have noted, it's not just the NR system, it's the slow-shutter speed when using flash.

I for one believe that Sony will not release a firmware update to correct these problems. There are ways around it but it takes a bit of tweaking and testing with

Keep us upto date with the progress of this letter.

Cyril
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote