Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:34 PM   #1

hi! i'm just wondering... since the cyber-shot V1 is already an old model, is there any possibility thatsony would discontinue this model? i'm planning on buying this camerathis december 2004. i really like this cam based on what i've been reading and the ergonomics for me are quite good (pop-up flash,poor grip, etc.) cuz i've tried handling it in a store once or twice and i would say it fits me well.

i also chose to buy the V1 because i simply fell for its looks. and also, for its full-auto to full-manual settings which would allow me to grow andbecome an "enthusiast". and of course its price which has tremendously decreased since it was introduced.

any reactions/comments would be welcome. thanks!!!

PS:is it'sauto white balance really that bad?especially in outdoors?
sago is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2004, 1:27 AM   #2

The V1 is really an excellent camera for the price and size. Sony is no longer manufacturing this model but they and other sellers will have them until supply runs out. I'm sure in December even if Sony or other suppliers don't have them in stock you can always find a new one on ebay. After playing around with the P100 and W1, they don't even come close to comparing in image quality with the V1.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 8:34 AM   #3

thanks for replying mr cybershot nut...so you mean sony has discontinued producing V1's? oh man i really want that cam. and i want to get it from a sony retail outlet and not thru the internet.i really do hope they're still in stock by december. :sad:

oh, just wondering...if you're saying that the p100 and the w1 cannot compare to the V1-s standards, how about the F-717?

and do you have major (or minor) gripes with the V1? can you tell me please? thanks!
sago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 5:41 PM   #4

The F717 is similar to the V1 except for the lens, the F717 has better macro ability and slightly better color representation, but for the most part it's hard to tell the difference in pictures taken with the V1 and F717. The V1 lens doesn't extend as fast as the newer cameras and it only has a 15fps MPEG movie mode and the battery life is a bit lacking, but those are the only disadvantages of the V1. Sony had the F717 for a while after they stopped production on it, so I'm guessing the V1 will still be available from Sony for a few more months.
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote