Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 1, 2004, 9:43 AM   #1

I have had my W1 for a few months now, and being a complete amature to digicams and photgography in general, have been more than happy with it. Great pictures, fast speed on startup and between pics, easy to use, etc. However-my one complaint is that I get some wierd focus problems sometimes when making movies. I use the fine movie mode (640x480 30fps) with a 256mb Sandisk MSpro. Many of my vids seem to go in and out of focus every few seconds. Doesnt seem to matter if I'm taking a moving target or a kid standing still talking to me. It never gos completely blurry all over, but the main focus of the movie will go slightly blurry for about 1 second, then go back in focus for 3-5 seconds, then repeat. I haven't been able to notice a particular lighting situation that sets this off... Has this happened to anyone else?

Locustfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2004, 9:51 AM   #2

I think I know why it happens.
Your focus mode is probably on "Multi".

Try changing it on the menu.
If you change it to center focus will always be on the central part of the screen. This is usually good and I think you won't get the out-of-focus problem.

The other solution is to choose a focus distance from the same menu. The options are a bit limited: 0.5m,1m,3m,7m, or infinity. This way the focus is fixed and will not move at all, but unless you are shooting all at one scene without the subject changing its not a good idea.

To sum it up, "center af" will probably do it for you best. Try it out and tell me what happens.
Deadlock-83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:53 AM   #3

Well, I don't really see those options. I go into setup, and under "AF Mode" I have 2 options: single, or monitor. Am I in the wrong spot, or what?

Thanks for the reply!
Locustfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 4:31 AM   #4

Its not under SETUP!
When you are in movie mode, press MENU and now scroll with left and right to choose different settings (focus, metering, white balance, etc).
With up and down keys change the setting for each.
Deadlock-83 is offline   Reply With Quote