Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:50 PM   #1

All the pros and magazines say the camera is great,exceptional,awesome,etc.About 8 guys on this forum say its a piece of crap.The pros say excellent image quality.The 8 here say fuzzy soft pictures.Is Sony paying for good reviews or are the 8 working for the competition?I don't know.What does the forum say?Is there agreement?A lot of people bought this camera;its a best seller.I'd like to hear from some of them.Thanks.
bobray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:57 PM   #2

I have the W1, it's an OK camera. Much better than the T1 but not the best 5 megapixel point and shootcamera I've used. It's true that picture quality isn't the greatest but by far it's not bad. Pictures in areas with alot of light come out really nice, but alot of pictures I've taken indoors with flash haven't been quite as sharp as I'd like to see. Here is an example of an indoor flash picture I've taken with the W1:::
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 8:53 PM   #3
rg7

Wow, I'm surprised by that. Haven't done much indoor with my W-1 myself, but that looks really wierd, like it was overly compressed. Is that the full size image?

As far as the W-1 goes, I find it is an excellent camera. If you are a novice it has good auto modes, and if you are an enthusiast or amateur perhaps looking for a second camera it has enough manual features to keep you busy. In my experience, photos always come out sharp. The only problem sometimes is a very slight underexposure, fixed easily in any photo editing program. I have never seen a picture like the one posted by cybershot nut. I guess from his comment and from my own experience that pictures like this are a rare occurence, only happening with flash photography.
rg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 7:02 PM   #4

That photo was resized to fit in the 250k size limit on here, but really doesn't look any different as the original. My day pic's come out great. I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried the sony or any slave flash with the W1, that may sharpen the pics a little...
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 7:59 AM   #5
blr

Well, I guess I'd be one of these 8 bobray was talking about, although I never said the W1 is crap-it isn't. Also IMO there are alot more than 8 people noticing the problem with thetoo agressive post processing. Go to the imaging resource forums there are over 100 posts there mainly on that issue. Reviewers have caught it too. Yesterday I picked up the last issue of Digital Camera World with a review of W1 and guess what... the reviewer noticed the same thing, lower resolution due to post processing.

That said the w1 is still a very good camera. Images at ISO100 are almost noise free and take sharpening very well. The end result after 5 min in PS is very good indeed. Indoors pictures with flash are not so hot. IMO the camera has difficulties focusing in low light, but instead of refusing to focus the focus is locked at some preset distance often 1 m. This can be misleading . Indoors in low light I use the manual focus with distance presets. For group shots 3 meters works fine. I've done some testing for a subject about 3 m away, shooting in AF results in about 50% of the pictures being slightly out of focus. This happens because 3 m is outside the range of the AF assist illuminator. The camera is apparently unable to focus but instead of giving you the blinking focus lamp (unable to focus) the W1 still locks focus at some unknown distance, my guess is 1 meter.

My Soligor slave flash for the W1 has just arrived at the post office. I'll pick it up today after work and will do some testing ASAP. It will give me the ability to shot on M-mode at f5,6 for better dept of field and use manual focus.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:06 AM   #6
sdh

CyberShotNut, your cat picture above looks a lot like at least half of the many W1 snaps Ive taken of my girlfriend's 6 cats since July. Seems soft & fluffy kitties are even more so with the W1! :lol::lol::lol: (sorry, couldn't resist :G )
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:44 AM   #7

Reviewing many sites the general consensus is that the W1 isn't a patch on the P100 due to softness and fuzziness. I also prefer Li-ion batteries to AA. The P100 and 150 are supposed to be able to take over 300 shots on one charge. Personally I would go for the P100 at about the same price or the 150 if funds permit
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:15 PM   #8
blr

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
Reviewing many sites the general consensus is that the W1 isn't a patch on the P100 due to softness and fuzziness. I also prefer Li-ion batteries to AA. The P100 and 150 are supposed to be able to take over 300 shots on one charge. Personally I would go for the P100 at about the same price or the 150 if funds permit
From what I've seen the images from P100 are identical to those from W1
blr is offline   Reply With Quote