Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 6, 2004, 6:45 AM   #1

Hi I am thinking of geting a W1 or W12 in the black finish. Does anyone know if the black finish scratches easily, by say coins in a pocket? I intend to use this without a case and slip into into jeans pockets (I'll try not to have coins in the same one but these things happen). If the black finsh is not that stable I may be better off getting the silver one.

Cheers
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2004, 7:30 AM   #2
blr

Typhoon wrote:
Quote:
Hi I am thinking of geting a W1 or W12 in the black finish. Does anyone know if the black finish scratches easily, by say coins in a pocket? I intend to use this without a case and slip into into jeans pockets (I'll try not to have coins in the same one but these things happen). If the black finsh is not that stable I may be better off getting the silver one.

Cheers
I don't know about the finish but what you really should be worried about is scratching the LCD. I am afraid to keep my digicams in my pockets. Instead I keep them in a small bag on my belt. Sorry perhaps slightly off topic
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 10:10 AM   #3

Yeah i've got the W12. However I always put it in the foam pouch thing that comes with the box if I ever put it in my pocket. Only reason is that I don't have a case for it yet. But yeah what you should be really worried about is the screen since it's huge. I put one of those PDA screen protectors on it so that it doesn't get scratched or finger prints.
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 4:22 PM   #4

I was going to get one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WD4Vto protect the screen. Still I am more worried about the finish!
Old Oct 7, 2004, 11:47 AM   #5

5 pounds for 1 sheet? Thats quite expensive.

I bought a Belkin PDA Screen Protector with 12 sheets. Each sheet is bigger than my Sony DCR-HC85E's 3.5in LCD. It was $20AUD (Australian).

There is a special technique to get the sheet on with no bubbles, but you will always getsomearound the edges. Even after smoothing it out there appears to be small bubbles that you just can't get rid of. Doesn't matter anyway since you can't notice it when the LCD is on.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 2:37 PM   #6

CVonV wrote:
Quote:
5 pounds for 1 sheet? Thats quite expensive.

I bought a Belkin PDA Screen Protector with 12 sheets. Each sheet is bigger than my Sony DCR-HC85E's 3.5in LCD. It was $20AUD (Australian).

There is a special technique to get the sheet on with no bubbles, but you will always getsomearound the edges. Even after smoothing it out there appears to be small bubbles that you just can't get rid of. Doesn't matter anyway since you can't notice it when the LCD is on.
Yes seen PDA protectors for around £5 for 10 or so. I guess your paying extra for one that fit perfectly without triming1
Old Oct 8, 2004, 7:52 PM   #7

hehe but how hard is it to trim?
Old Oct 9, 2004, 4:36 PM   #8
Fen

Mine is still unmarked and I put it in my pocket, albeit not with coins in there.

I thought all W12s came with a case - mine certainly did and while it makes it too big for pocketing it's handy if the camera is in a bag or something.

At the end of the day though it's just a bit of aluminium so if it gets marked, so what? I'll probably be looking for another one in 12-18 months time. I guess scratches reduce the eBay resale value though...
Fen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 5:04 AM   #9

In Australia the W12 is actually the W1B. Doesn't come with a case.

But yeah as you said, cameras will get scratched regardless.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 7:29 AM   #10

if you use tight jeans, you may break the camera or lenses.

even if you're going to buy another one in 1 year, why not be careful?
fonfa is offline   Reply With Quote