Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 15, 2004, 9:39 AM   #1

Having had my Olympus 5060 stolen, I bought this for convenience since it is pocket sized. However, the performance is certainly not pocket sized! Outdoors, the resolution and quality are superb, but it was also used for a birthday party on a point and press basis, and while I was just recording snap shots I do find that of over 100 shots taken there are quite a number which are blurred, not because of camera shake but due to poor autofocus. The flash is quite powerful, and I can't really fault the camera for the use it is intended, except for the autofocus problems. Printing up to A4 size has shown no purple fringing - endemic in high megapixel prosumer cameras - and crisp and sharp prints, with good depth of field. The battery life is excellent, even indoors using the flash constantly giving an estimated 250 shots on one charge with a 512mb card.

The controls, such as they are, are well placed although I find the zoom control a bit fiddly especially since this is a camera which is intended for one handed use, being too small for two hands really. The menu I find simple, and camera settings via the menu equally so, but then after mastering a D70 I would have been mightily disappointed if they weren't!

I would emphasise that this is the first outing with the camera, and I will try again shortly indoors at another party to see if, when I have played around sufficiently, I can see whether it was me or the camera that was at fault.

All in all, if you are looking for an ultra compact camera, I would recommend this one, and perhaps the P100 if you are not looking for a camera to make big enlargements. After all, they are the same but different resolutions. More as I find out more, but I hope this is useful to whoever reads it.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2004, 9:26 AM   #2

How's the camera working out for you now that you have had some more time with it - I'm torn between the P150 and the Canon S70 but leaning toward the P150 because of it's size..... It's half the weight as the S70. Thanks!
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:48 PM   #3

I don't think you can compare the two based on features present. The Canon has a wider angle lensplus aperture and shutter priority control, which takes it a level above the Sony really. One weighs 5oz, the other 8oz, and you have to weigh convenience against facility. In my post I started out by saying that I had my Olympus 5060 stolen, and for sure it was a better camera than the Sony with a clearer screen in low light conditions and all extracontrol features.

It is horses for courses really, and I took a conscious decision to go small since I have a D70 as well. I have taken quite a few subsequent pictures with the camera and am more than satisfied with the overall results, but on features I would rate the Canon more highly. One thing mentioned in Steve's report on the Canon is purple fringing which I find completely absent in the Sony.

In conclusion, if this was to be my only camera, I would probably go for the Canon for the two reasons mentioned:-

1) Wider angle lens. If you have never had a wide angle you will be amazed at the usefulness of it. Indoor shots, landscape shots, all come more vividly to life with wide angle.

2) Manual, shutter priority and aperture priority control. If you are a beginner, then programme mode will work well for you, but then you start to find you want more control, and the Canon will give it to you.

Finally, they are to all intents and purposes the same size, but ask yourself - is 2oz that important? The more I write the more I am perhaps thinking it is me who made the mistake..............
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:49 AM   #4

Thanks for your input! Just as a correction on the weight issue - the P150 is 6.7 oz with Batt/Card and the S70 is 10.6 oz with the battery/card. Thanks - glad it's been working well for you. I have a canon G2 and probably haven't touched the manual controls but once or twice - mainly this is a camera for my wife to use and for travel. Thanks!
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 5:02 PM   #5

You mention blurred pictures due to poor autfocus - the same thing also happens with my DSC W1. These new Cybershots focus very quickly, bad unfortunately not accurately enough (at times). Can it be due tolighting issues - outdoor performance seems to be better.

Z_oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:09 PM   #6

Interestingly, I used the camera again yesterday using flash a lot and around 30% of the photos are again blurred. I am going to experiment with settings tomorrow to see if there is a reason why. However, as usual, I went to the fount of all wisdom - Steve, our moderator - and if you look at the P150 review there is a blurred flash photo!

Now I am not complaining too much since what should you expect from a camera not much bigger than a box of matches? If I want serious photos it is out with the D70, dedicated flashand heavy glass, but I am convinced that it is me and not the camera at the moment, since over 2/3rds are in perfect focus. I guess it is trial and error until I get to the bottom of it.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 5:19 PM   #7

You mentioned the flash shots were blurry -- were the outdoor lighting shots all ok? Wondering if it has something to do with the settings, ISO or shutter time. What mode were you in when you shot the blurry ones? I'm just about buy a DSC-P150 and want to make sure I avoid the problem.
Chocochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 2:22 PM   #8

I just left it in programme mode, and snapped away without taking much care. But several I took the time and trouble to frame properlywere blurred too. Every outdoor photo I took was good, but like I say about one third of indoor flash ones are not good at all. I know I bought this for convenience due to it's size, but I am wondering if I would have been better off replacing my Olympus 5060 with the same- itnever took a bad picture, indoors or out. That, while bigger, was one very impressive camera I miss a lot. Even the D70 is not as good with the inbuilt flash as the Oly.

Finally, I also think that there is no point in buying the P150 over the P100. 5mp was quite enough for 11 x 8 prints with the Olympus (5mp) and comparing prints at home (I use a Canon i9950 printer) I can detect no difference in quality at up to A4 size. I haven't tried A3 size because that is not what this camera is all about.