Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 24, 2004, 4:57 AM   #1

Can anyone help me out here? I have a Sony DSC-T1. When I use the video mode and then transfer the file to my computer, it won't play. It identifies the file as a ".thm" file. I have searched and searched for a way to play these video clips but no luck. I am not very techy so please, take it slow :sad:

Many, many thanks!!
humms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2004, 5:10 AM   #2

u need to transfer the .mpg file

the .thm is useless
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 3:34 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. But...as I said, I am not very techy....just how do I "transfer the mpeg file"?? Thanks for any specifics you can give
Old Oct 24, 2004, 7:48 PM   #4

The MPEG file will be in the same folder as the THM file. There is no need to copy the THM file to the computer.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:41 AM   #5

OH Gosh! Ok, so let's start from the beginning. I put the memory stick into my Sony Vaio V505EX, the program opens to copy files into a folder. I click OK then I have a new folder with pictures and the video clips.....Then What?

What I do now, is click on the file that contains the video clip. My "InterVideo" program opens but nothing happens. If I right click and select a program to open it, such as Windows Media it tells me it cannot play the .thm file. Can anyone please be specific on what to do from downloading it from the memory stick, to the computer, to the file and what to play it with...how to change it from .thm. ...or am I hopeless??
Old Oct 26, 2004, 1:58 AM   #6

plug ur memory stick in, a pop-up box should appear asking u what u want to do. Select "Open folder to view files", open the "DCIM" folder then open the "101MSDCF" folder. You will see all the files on your memory stick there. Copy all the files over to a folder of your choice on your PC. Open the .MPG file to view the video.
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 3:19 PM   #7

I did exactly as you described. I got this message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file is either corrupt or the Player does not support the format you are trying to play."

Ideas? Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2004, 11:11 AM   #8

The .thm file is just a thumbnail image. The camera creates this thumbnail for viewing movies on the camera in playback mode. It shows this thumbnail on the LCD, then when you press ok to play it, it then opens the .MPG (movie) and plays it. WHen you transfer these files to your PC, the .thm file is pretty much useless.

Make sure you are clicking on the .MPG files.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 1:03 AM   #9

I am clicking on the only file listed. They are all photos and on the latest transfer there were 3 thumbnail-type files. How else do I open these files besides clicking on them?? I cannot find the .mpeg version of them. This is soooooooo frustrating! I am ready to throw in the towel How else do I open the files?? They are listed as video clips. I don't know how to get them open aside from clicking on them. Am I just really , really stupid or is there something obvious here that I am doing wrong??
Old Nov 1, 2004, 4:40 AM   #10

Hi! I too have a DSC-T1 and wondered the same thing. All I did was to put my memory card into the slot on my Sony Vaio RX504. After a few seconds a menu pops up with a list of choices (i.e. copy files over to hard drive, take no action, etc. etc.) I selected the 'Play media files' option. Straight away the video that was on the memory card opened up in Windows Media Player and played! All I did the was a 'save as' to the 'My Videos' folder on my hard drive... it's still there! Resolution isn't great, but hey, it was a dark room.

Hope this helps?
charlie1963 is offline   Reply With Quote