Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 29, 2004, 9:07 PM   #11

Thanks for he pics! Cute cat buy the way. I think the pictures look great. I've been wanting to wait for Steve's review, but I can't hardly stand it. I think I'm going to buy it tomorrow. Do you have any more of an opinion on this camera... do you see any of the softness on this camera like people are talking about on the W1? Any last thoughts before I buy?
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 2:06 AM   #12

No softness at all! The W1, P100 and P150 have too small of a lens that's why there are so many complaints about them. I've gotten better results from my P93.The V1 was always an excellent camera and the V3 is even better. They both share the same lens but the V3 has quite a bit more features. I love it, the only complaint I have is the missing RAW data converter for .srf files. The V3 is well worth the $$$ in my opinion.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 7:51 AM   #13

I know that you do a lot of your own repairs, but I don't. What do you think about the $99/4-year ext. warranty from Best Buy? Go with the warranty or roll the dice and figure the camera will outlast the warranty?
Old Oct 30, 2004, 10:15 AM   #14

If you plan to use the camera on a regular basis for the next 4 years the $99 is worth it. The thing that is nice about the Best Buy service plan is that you won't have to deal directly with Sony. If the battery gets weak, they will send you a prepaid mailer to return it in and give you a brand new one. The only thing it doesn't cover is physical damage, so be careful with that 2.5" LCD! If you even slightly tap it against the corner of a table, you're out almost $200 for Sony to replace it.:shock:
Old Oct 30, 2004, 10:58 PM   #15

I've been havin' a good time today with my new V3 So far I think it's great. Like you said, cybershotnut, I was a little surprised at the start-up time. Not really a big deal, but I expected the lens to just spring out like the P100/150. Oh well, I've been happy with everthing else. By the way, I got the 4 yr. warranty.

I've got a few questions for you... Why not just leave the camera set to continuous autofocus so you know the subject is always in focus (my 10 mo. old won't sit still, go figure)? Also, I can't seem to find the 4:3 format setting. Maybe I just need to dig a little deeper into the manual. Is 4:3 what you typically use?
Old Oct 30, 2004, 11:50 PM   #16

The CAF mode is nice, but the only thing I don't like about it is that the focus is always in the center of the frame. I usually leave mine on MAF (Monitoring)which is still multi-point autofocus andwill allow faster autofocus but locks the focus when the green light is steady. The 4:3 aspect ratio is where the camera is set on all but the 3:2 setting. DID SONY INCLUDE the Image Data Converter for windows on your CD? They supposedly "forgot" it on mine, so I can't play around with raw mode until I get it.I'm not sure if you read what I wrote a few posts up, but that was the only thing I wasn't very happy about!
Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:07 AM   #17

I see the Picture Package software opens and converts raw files, but I really hope the "Image Data Converter Ver.2.0" that Sony says is supposed to come with the camera has more features.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:23 AM   #18

I think I got mine. It came with two CD's. One is the blue and white package with Picture Package, Cyber-shot Life, USB Driver, ImageMixer VCD2, and Image Data Converter (for Mac OS) the other CD is in an Orange and White slip cover titled Image Data Converter Ver.2.0 for Windows. It sounds like they left that one out of your box. I would imagine Best Buy would give you the CD from another box (might have to do an exchange) since you got an incomplete product. Or you could wait on Sony. :angry:
Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:36 AM   #19

<--- to Sony! I'm not going to worry about it, I'll just wait 'till they feel like sending me one. I only have a 256MB memory stick pro which only holds 9 - 11 raw images so I don't plan to use raw until I find a good deal on a San Disk 2GB stick. I need to get rid of some of my other useless cameras(T1 being the first one to go!) so I can allocate some cash for accessories. I've been spending waaay to much money on cameras lately, so I hope this V3 will keep me happy for a long time! Probably until a new version of the F828 comes out.:?
Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:40 AM   #20

What do you think about the shoulder strap that comes with the V3? For me, it's a bit bulky so I got a V1 wrist strap for it which works well for me. I also need to get a nice case for it, I just can't quite squeeze the V3 into the case for my V1.