Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 31, 2004, 1:03 AM   #21

I agree. I didn't put on the neck strap... Wrist strap does sound like a good idea.

I've been looking at cases for awhile now. I just ordered one that I'm hoping will be perfect for the V3. It's made by Kata (model C-54). According to the measurements it should fit snugly, which is what I wanted. Here is the website...
http://www.adorama.com/KAC54.html?se...ata&item_no=28

If you are looking for something a little bigger (so you have room for stuff), I ordered this one too for my camcorder (Sony DCR-PC330). Kata C-56...
http://www.adorama.com/KAC56.html?se...ata&item_no=63

It looks like the cases have some shock-resistant capability that I like, and of course water resistant as well.

Here is the home page for Kata if you want to check it out. It will give you a little more information than Adorama's site will.
http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/index_ext.php3 click on the Kata logo, then click Kata products, then click small camera bags.
One thing however, on the Kata home page, it has the measurments screwed up for the C-54. It says that the Length is 3.9" (10cm), Width 2.4" (6cm), and the Height 3.1" (13cm). Well that's screwed up, if the Height is 13cm then it's not 3.1", it's suppose to say 5.1". Adorama has the measurement correct. These are internal measurments, by the way. I really like the looks of this case, but if it doesn't fit I will send it back and probably go with the Lowepro. The Lowepro D-Res 25 Aw or the Rezo 60 will defintaley fit, but probably not as snug as I want and I don't think they are as shock-resistant.

My Sony DCR-PC330 camcorder is what I've been using for a digital camera. It actually takes some pretty darn good 3MP stills, but I've been desparate for a dedicated digital camera. I think the V3 was an excellent choice!

stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 1:29 PM   #22

Thanks guys for your exclent review of the V3
I am waiting for this camera to come out in the uk. it is suppose to be here in the next few days!! ( cant wait)
Cany anyone tell me what the video quality is like. I heard it was not that good as its not a true 640 x 480 30fps but an introplated 320 x 160 30fps... I hope that is not true.
I have only seen an example of the sony DSC P100 video and i was deeply disappointed. I reallly hope sony have made some huge improvements.

A reply would b e appreciated
msajid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 2:01 PM   #23

I love sony camera I love the solorization efect but I want a 10x optical lens they don't offer it anymore..
amiMaija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 4:21 PM   #24

msajid wrote:
Quote:
Thanks guys for your exclent review of the V3
I am waiting for this camera to come out in the uk. it is suppose to be here in the next few days!! ( cant wait)
Cany anyone tell me what the video quality is like. I heard it was not that good as its not a true 640 x 480 30fps but an introplated 320 x 160 30fps... I hope that is not true.
I have only seen an example of the sony DSC P100 video and i was deeply disappointed. I reallly hope sony have made some huge improvements.

A reply would b e appreciated
I think CybershotNut has commented on this before. I beleive it is true that the video is interpolated. I can't personally comment on video quality at this point. I haven't tried it yet... I'm not really to concerned about it. I have a nice camcorder that takes very good video even at 16:9. I may use the V3 for an occasional video clip, but unless you can afford a 2GB or greater Memory Stick Pro your pretty limited with the amount of video you can capture. Sorry I can't help any further. I'm sure Steve will have a video clip when he finishes his review.
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:01 AM   #25

stallen wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for he pics! Cute cat buy the way. I think the pictures look great. I've been wanting to wait for Steve's review, but I can't hardly stand it. I think I'm going to buy it tomorrow. Do you have any more of an opinion on this camera... do you see any of the softness on this camera like people are talking about on the W1? Any last thoughts before I buy?
Am I missing something??? What Cat? I don't see a cat
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:29 PM   #26

I've had the V3 for about two weeks and have taken a wide range of indoor/outdoor photos and .mpeg's. I was originally a little spooked by the discussion around the f8 aperture and fuzzy images but I don't seem to notice (even what I'm looking for) so I'm very happy with the camera. I've taken some terrific B&W shots and the sharpness and detail is fantastic. I'm not going to get into the discussion on the other "hot" topic on this issue since I don't have the inclination to keep searchingor the perfect 7MP camera. If we know about the "issue" then we can always set on aperture priority when in bright outdoor light.

Here's what I really like:

-Movie mode (when you don't want to tote around the camcorder.) the hi res setting is terrific

-Nightframing (how cool is this!)

-The LCD is sharp

-Dual memory

BTW. I also purchased at Best Buy ($640 at the store w/ a 10% off coupon.) and purchased the 4 yr warranty for $99. I don't usually purchase the plans but this one is a slam dunk. Something will happen in 4 years - and they usually hand you a new one...

Regards,

Lou

ursacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 4:34 AM   #27

No. The video is not interpolated! That doesn't make any sense. It's not a still image. It is 640 x 480 at 30fps. Someone started that rumor. It's not true at all. The video is great, way better than any other digital camera out there, except of course for the new Sony M1, now that you can leave your camcorder behind for!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 1:37 PM   #28

If you don't believe the video is interpolated, what would be the reason the HQX 320x240 on my F717uses the same amount of memory per second as the VX 640x480 on my V1?
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 9:41 PM   #29

I don't know about the V1 cause I've never had it but the W1's video is not interpolated. It is true 640 X 480. No where is it written in any review or ad or publication that it is interpolated.
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:39 AM   #30

OK, I am totally convinced that Sony customer support SUCKS! As you can see in my earlier posts, I've been trying to get Sony to send me the Image Data Converter that they "forgot" to include with my V3. Excuse after excuse I've been getting from them. First they told me they would send me the CD and I should have it in 2 weeks, well 2 weeks came and went so I called them back and supposedly spoke to a higher level supervisor who said that as soon as they can get a copy it will be sent to me... Almost 2 months later, still no CD!!! I'm not very happy at all with their customer support!
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote