Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:25 PM   #1

I just got a V3 today at Best Buy. It's $699 at the store and $629 on their website and you can pick it up at the store which is what I did. I'll be spending some time today checking it out. So far it doesn't seem to startup much faster than the V1 but the TIFF write time to memory stick pro is much faster.(About 8 seconds) The feel is a little strange and will take a little while to get used to.(Very similar to the old S85)If anyone wants sample pictures ar wants me to do a specific test, let me know...
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 1:46 PM   #2

I'd love to see some samples. I almost jumped on one but I couldn't part with my 828 and decided to grab an L1 (which will be here tomorrow). I will probably get a V3 one day.

How's the LCD look on it?
bigconig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 3:09 PM   #3

Yes please, dopost some full 7Mp samples, preferably outdoors with some fine detail. There is serious shortage of test images from this camera. We are all waiting!

Stan

stan ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 5:02 PM   #4

The LCD is great. The V3 uses the same LCD as the W1, it's not the highest resolution, but it produces sharp, clear images. I'd like to post some full resolution images, but I don't know were to post them. All the sites I know of have a size limit or automatically resize pictures.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 8:35 PM   #5

Hello Cyber Shot Nut,

Congrats on your V3!!!

For posting pics with no size limit checkout www.smugmug.com

Happy shooting, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 11:55 PM   #6

So far I love the V3, the design and build quality is great. My only complaints are the cheap flexible plastic jack covers and the zoom button seems to be placed a little low. Here is one sample picture I took this evening at 7:30 PM. It was taken from Edgewater Drive looking across to Clearwater Beach, Florida. (For those who know the area) Manual setting with full 4x zoom, F5, ISO100 and 25 second shutter speed.
Attached Images

Old Oct 28, 2004, 7:30 PM   #7

Well, I'm a little pissed right now.:evil: I shot a few pictures in RAW mode, went to use the Image Data Converter that was supposed to be on the disk that came with the camera and Sony FORGOT to put it on the CD. :PI was on the phone with customer support for almost 2 hours and was transfered to 4 different people before they finally admitted that they didn't have a version for windows availablt yet. (Only MAC) So they said they would send it to me as soon as they can. (Meaning whenever they feel like it)

Any F828 owners out there? What RAW software did Sony include with it? Anyone have any other ideas if there is software out there that will convert Sony Raw Files .srf?

I love Sony cameras, but when it comes to customer service, they SUCK!
Old Oct 28, 2004, 9:09 PM   #8

I'm so jealous!:evil:I saw that best buy had it on their website yesterday so I called my local best buy and they said that they have it in stock, but they are not authorized by Sony to sell it yet (they are writing for a release date or something)... sounds crazy!:whack:

Anyway, I remember you once said in another thread that your Sony 717 takes the best pictures and the V1 was a close second. So how does V3 stack up? Can you take some comparison shots under identical conditions?
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 9:36 PM   #9

Hmmm, maybe it has something to do with the missing software! Anyway, the V3 is more compact than the F717 so the aperture is slightly smaller. The F717 lens is excellent, the best I've seen so far. The V3 lens is exactly identical to the V1 lens. You can't get as close on macro shots with the V3 but it has less barrel distortion than the F717. I've compared a few outdoor shots between the V3 and F717 and it's almost impossible to tell the difference but the flash is more powerful on the F717.

The V3 is really a V1 on steroids, better build quality(although I like the USB door better on the V1)the startup time is the same, the focus is faster, write time to memory stick is faster, more resolution, bigger lcd, CF support, better battery life(about double) among quite a few other improvements. I think it's well worth it's price and won't be outdated anytime soon.

Here is an outdoor sample of my car taken with the V3...
Attached Images

Old Oct 28, 2004, 10:14 PM   #10

Could you send me a couple 7MP fine/jpeg pics? Maybe an indoor shot also? I'd like to print a few pics and see what they look like on paper. I'd really appreciate it!

stallen is offline   Reply With Quote