Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 30, 2004, 11:53 AM   #1

HI. I purchased my camera after reading the good reviews from this website. Overall I am very happy with it...until now. I have the Sony DSC-S75 camera, and all of a sudden, pictures taken using the optical viewfinder are off center. Pics taken with the LCD are perfectly fine. I always use the viewfinder and need to figure out the problem. If I hold the camera horizontal and line the image up flush with the bottom of the window, when I put the camera in playback mode to view it, the image has jumped up 1/2-1 inch up the window. If I hold the camera vertically to take "full body" shots of my daughter, then the image is shifted more to the left. Why does this happen? The LCD shots are fine. Do I need to take it somewhere that repairs cameras...maybe the viewfinder piece has shifted and needs to be realigned?

Any help you can offer would great!

Melissa O'Hara
mohara4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2004, 6:57 AM   #2

Viewfinders usually only show around 80-85% of the actual scene.
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:02 AM   #3

May be their is an issue. Steve's review says that the Sony DSC-S75 optical viewfinder works very close to 100%. If this is something that the camera just started doing then I would say that something is definatley wrong or off, but maybe this is just something you just now noticed. If you have done a similar test in the past and the viwefinder wasn't off, then I'd say it's something that could be fixed... if you want to spend the $$$.
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 1:19 PM   #4

I noticed it about 6+ months ago, but figured it was just me...and that maybe my hands just moved. It definitely seems worse now though. I emailed SONY but haven't heard back yet.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2004, 2:52 PM   #5
Administrator

What you are seeing is known as Parallax error. This is a problem with all zoom coupled optical viewfinders (they are not Through the Lens viewfinders).

Your viewfinder is actually better than average (shows around 92% of frame), although you still won't have the entire image the LCD can see. The off center problem is simply parallax error. Some viewfinders have a separate set of markings that you can use to judge the error amount, and some don't.

You'll see that the amount of shift in the frame is worse at closer ranges. Although the manual doesn't really explain it well, you will see a note on page 23 that says:

"Because of the difference of the portion of the finder and the lens, use the LCD screen when you record a subject closer than 1 m (3 1/4 feet)"

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DSCS75.pdf

Chances are, you'll still have some amount of parallax error at further ranges, too (but the amount of error should diminish as your range to subject is greater).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:49 PM   #6

This image should explain "parallax error":

http://www.stsite.com/camera/images/parallex.gif
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:52 AM   #7
Administrator

Here is the page that shows the image that Mikefellh is referring to (the .gif file is not direct linkable). Scroll down to the middle of the page and you will see the image showing why parallax error occurs in non-SLR cameras:

http://www.stsite.com/camera/cam10.php

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 1:20 PM   #8

Thank you all very much! You have all replied to me so quickly and I still haven't heard a word from SONY. Although I have heard they are not great at Customer Service. I understand what you are saying, and maybe this is why I don't always notice it...just my tight shots have the biggest problems. I just always felt like I could take a crisper shot using the optical viewfinder...less apt for my hands to move the camera. And the LCD in the sunlight isn't always the easiest thing to do...darkness either. If the room is too dark, using the LCD shows a very fuzzy image - although the shot itself is crisp. I have never really read up on the backlighting and maybe that would help. At least now I understand exactly what is happening.

Thanks again for all your input!!!!!!! You have made my day!