Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:42 PM   #1

They are both about the same around $299. Can anyone give me their opinion as to which one I should buy.

I know on the W, the LCD at 2.5-inch is bigger.. which is offset (I think) by the laser night focusing on the V ..

What about the final quality of pictures, long term reliability and the overall everyday experience.

I am also asking about the overall value at roughly the same price point for the slightly pro-consumer.. Thank you.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:29 PM   #2

The pluses of the V1:

The V1 is more of a pro camera. The W1 has manual controls but they are not true manual, the V1 is true manual with shutter and aperture priority. The V1 has a bigger, wider angle lens and 4x optical zoom. The V1 has nightframing, nightshot and a laser assisted autofocus, where the W1 only has an IR focus assist. V1 has manual white balance, tiff mode and a flash hot shoe for professional accessory flashes. The picture quality is a little sharper and clearer with the V1 especially in low light.

The pluses of the W1:

W1 has a much bigger LCD. The V1 has an info-lithium battery but the AA batteries in the W1 last much longer per charge. The W1 is smaller.(slimmer) The W1 has a 30fps movie mode while the V1 is only 16fps. W1 starts up faster than the V1.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:37 PM   #3

Thank you. I guess its too close to call. But in the end if you think the image quality is better on the V1 then I guess I will go for the V1 then..
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 5:05 PM   #4

The V-1 is a very nice camera , I had one but sold it when I bought a F828. I miss the smaller sizeso bought a Sony U-30 which is easier to pocket and does a good job for the size I think. I think I will look into the V-3 when the price comes down a little. Here's a pic I took with the V-1.
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 5:08 PM   #5

duke wrote:
Quote:
The V-1 is a very nice camera , I had one but sold it when I bought a F828. I miss the smaller sizeso bought a Sony U-30 which is easier to pocket and does a good job for the size I think. I think I will look into the V-3 when the price comes down a little. Here's a pic I took with the V-1.
Sorry....here it is
Attached Images

duke is offline   Reply With Quote