Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 6, 2004, 11:34 AM   #1

The final review for the Sony V3 is available at dcresourse. There is a nice comparison between the V3 and the Canon G6. I'm sure it could be a never ending debate as to which camera is the best, but I think the Sony V3 has the definate edge.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml
(I'm hesitant to refer people to another site, but it is the only review available right now. I'm actually most interested in hearing what Steve has to say about the V3)

dcresource says "This movie mode is vastly superior to what the Canon G6 offers." To be honest I don't really care about that, but some of you might. More importantly the low-light autofocus system is more superior with the V3 than the Canon G6. He also states, "They perform quite similarly in most areas, with the V3 having sharper photos with more saturated colors." Awesome! That's just what I was hoping for.... But one big problem... He says "For whatever reason, the V3 likes to use small apertures (high F-numbers) outdoors, which dramatically reduces image quality" :sad: So you have to go to aperture priority mode to keep the F-number at F6.3 or below to get better pictures that the G6... what a bummer.

So let's all hold our breath while Sony fixes that with a firmware update!

stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 6:26 PM   #2

I saw that review a few days ago , then went out and tested my camera thoroughly. I did tests on different subjects in aperture priority mode varying from wide to telephoto and changing the aperture settings, but I could not detect a difference in sharpness and image quality in both bright and dim light. I did see some vignetting on all four corners on mine.(not just the left side like that review says)

I have come to the conclusion that not every Sony camera is created equal and there is a noticable difference between two identical cameras in color and exposure value. I tested side by side two P150s, three P93s, three P100s and quite a few P92s and everyone was different in brightness and white balance.

I guess the only real way to test out a certain model would be to get two or three and run the same tests on all of them. I think thisplays abig role on why people complain about certain things on their camera while others neversee that problem with theirs and probably why different review sites rate the samecameras differently.

Just my opinion. CyberShotNut.....
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 8:58 PM   #3

Hmmm, that's interesting.

I think you have a good idea... It might not always be practical to test numerous models, but maybe when the pros find an issue like this they should test another model just to make sure they haven't tested an anomalous camera.:idea:
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 3:52 PM   #4

You're right. I couldn't reproduce the 'aperture' effect he talks about on my V3 either. I think that he is simply wrong about it and we should ignore the advice to change the aperture.

I wonder what else he is wrong about?

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 2:59 AM   #5

So what type of image quality did you get, similar to the image @ f8 or image at f4??

I ask as i have ordered the camera and will be getting it on wednesday .

Thanks
Rudy
dudedolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 4:14 PM   #6

I think the reviewer was very fair and very perceptive. The evidence is there in the test images. The ones at f8 were not as good as the Canon G6 in terms of resolution and noise whilst the ones taken at f4 were slightly better than the G6. If that were not enough, the behaviour observed fits the physics.

With 35mm film cameras diffraction problemswere something one worried about at f16 or less. Witha 4Mp consumer digital camera, the pixel separation is about 3.5 microns and diffraction problems didn't show up significantly atf8. Butwith Sony's 7Mp ccdthe pixel separation is only about 2.7 microns and this means that diffraction is going to show up at f8 and that's exactly what it has done. We have reached the limit of what light will allow us to do using such small ccds. Sony may be able to squeeze more pixels on that ccd but it will only make the problem worse. They will just have to make bigger ccds like the more expensive ones they put in the SLRs that have a pixel separation ofabout6to 9microns.

Now we know about this we can easily avoid the problem, but manual aperture control will only be necessary if you are shooting at 7Mp in high light levels and you need the highest availableresolution.I can live with thatsoI have just ordered one.

I'm certainwe all have a lot of fun with the new model.

Stan
stan ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 6:44 PM   #7

Everyone that has a V3 or is getting one, let me know if you can detect any difference in image quality between small and large apertures. I must have taken over 100 test pictures in the past two days under all different conditions and apertures and I can't find any difference in image quality.:roll:I clearly see the differences in the pics posted on that review site, but do not see it al all in my pictures.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:18 PM   #8
Administrator

stallen wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm, that's interesting.

I think you have a good idea... It might not always be practical to test numerous models, but maybe when the pros find an issue like this they should test another model just to make sure they haven't tested an anomalous camera.:idea:

When cameras show a definite problem we DO ask for another camera but it isn't always practical time-wise and sometimes it is difficult to get another camera from the PR firms as they have a limited number of cameras to loan out.

We are currently evaluating a production level V3 and will have sample photos and a conclusion in about a week.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:43 PM   #9

Aside from obvious differences with DoF, there was no difference with sharpness because of the changing aperture.

I'm prepared to wait and see what Steve has to say.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:57 AM   #10

I have just received my V3 and the 2.5" LCD is great, no more squinting at the little screen on the V1. Forthose who have asked elswhere, yes the lens does still rattle just like the V1 and the frontelement does moveside to side a little. The Smart zoom is disabled at 7Mp but worksat 5Mp and below. Layout of controls and buttons benefit fromthe slightly larger body than theV1 althoughI havepressed thezoom control switch by accient several times.

One let down is that the screw thread for the supplimentary lens adaptor is a few mm bigger than the V1 which means I will have to buy a new one -it'sreally annoying to haveto buy newbitswith every new model.

Given that I have onlytried it outfor a couple of hours, I am finding it an enjoyable camera to use. I went out in the rain on a miserable, English,November morning just to produce a test image for you to examine. Given the poor lighting conditions, I thinkmost will like the results - I tried tofind a subject with a lot of detail. It looks very muchlike the original looked at the time in terms of colour and tone.

http://members.aol.com:/rscratcher/V3001.jpg

If you would like to see more test images, try this site in hungary, there are 19 nice images of a usefully wide range of subjects.

http://index.hu/tech/digicam/mutat_m...Sony/DSC-V3/a/

Its a pity that Sony didn't release production specimens to reviewers a month before they started selling them, it would have eliminated all the speculation.

Stan
stan ames is offline   Reply With Quote