Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 14, 2004, 2:00 AM   #1

Hello All,

Saturday was very cold in New York.

We visited a Greenhouse and took some pics.

All hand-held as tripods are not allowed on weekends:

http://nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/284606/1

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2004, 5:58 PM   #2

Hi there Nick.

Those shots look great.

Sorry to hog you post but what precautions should be taken when shooting in cold weather. I will be in New York in December and comming from sunny South Africa I have no idea what to do when shooting in -6 -> 6 degree weather. I know about using a ziplock bag and having the camera get used to the temps inside when coming from outside to prevent condensation.

Anything else?
Maxxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 6:21 AM   #3
blr

Maxxis wrote:
Quote:
Hi there Nick.

Those shots look great.

Sorry to hog you post but what precautions should be taken when shooting in cold weather. I will be in New York in December and comming from sunny South Africa I have no idea what to do when shooting in -6 -> 6 degree weather. I know about using a ziplock bag and having the camera get used to the temps inside when coming from outside to prevent condensation.

Anything else?
Here in Sweden, it's cold for half of the year. There are two things one should mind when shooting in cold weather. As you pointed out condensation is one (and most dangerous)of them. Ziplock bag or a tightly sealed camera bag should do fine. I leave my cameras for at least an hour often more before I open the bag indoors. The other problem is battery behaviour in the cold. It's usually not a problem unless extremely cold, say -15C. In most cases I quit before the batteries but in the winter keep a spare set in the inside pocket close to the body. Once you change the batt keep the cold one (sealed) in the same pocket. When warmed up it will rtestore its capacity and you may want to switch back.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:25 AM   #4

It's usually not a problem unless extremely cold, say -15C.
When it is a bit colder, say -45 (Salechard) or -50-55 (Yakutsk) the only way to make a shot outdooes - is to keep a camera under your clothes. Another trick - to operate camera in such weather ))

Dmitry M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:46 PM   #5
blr

Dmitry M. wrote:
Quote:
It's usually not a problem unless extremely cold, say -15C.
When it is a bit colder, say -45 (Salechard) or -50-55 (Yakutsk) the only way to make a shot outdooes - is to keep a camera under your clothes. Another trick - to operate camera in such weather ))
These are quite extreme temperatures, I believe way outside the operating temperature range of any digicam. Most materials get brittle in these temperatures and you're risking damaging any moving parts. I'd say when this cold stay inside. The coldest I ever used a digital camera was around -10 and I didn't have problems, but -55C that cannot be healty and I mean not only the camera.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote