Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 14, 2004, 5:53 PM   #101

Wow those pics turned out nice! I wish I could see it in full quality. But anyway, thanks.... They look excellent
v3tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 6:57 PM   #102

Using a wider f stop should not affect sharpening on these point and shoots with the small sensors. Youcannot get the shallow dof of thedslr sensors, even on a 2/3 sized sensor, much less with the 1.8. Closing down the aperature too muchwill produce softer images however.

Shoot in aperature priority and neverclose down tof8 and you can forget about it.
Roadart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 3:08 AM   #103

Meryl Arbing wrote:
Quote:
<snip>
We know the ISO ratings for the G6 are exactly half of what the V3 reports...<snip>
We all know it's exactly half? So you mean that Canon doesn't know cameras and they don't know about photography and ISO settings? Interesting.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 7:03 AM   #104

Roadart wrote:
Quote:
Using a wider f stop should not affect sharpening on these point and shoots with the small sensors. Youcannot get the shallow dof of thedslr sensors, even on a 2/3 sized sensor, much less with the 1.8. Closing down the aperature too muchwill produce softer images however.

Shoot in aperature priority and neverclose down tof8 and you can forget about it.

What'd ju talkin' bout Willis???! a 2/3 ccd makes a huge difference
Old Dec 18, 2004, 2:06 AM   #105

So has anyone bought the V3 and returned it because they didn't like it? I think it takes magnificent photos!!!
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 3:47 AM   #106

Where is Steve? Does he ever respond on these posts? I too think it's funny that he likes the G6. I think he hasn't seen the photos from it. They are good, but the V3 is definitely better! So I recommend the V3!!
Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:53 PM   #107
hbh

Why did I choose the V3? Well, I mentioned that I wanted a hotshoe for a more powerful flash..that was one reason.

You can put an external flash to the P150.

HVL-FSL1B . It's a slave-flash.

hbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:04 AM   #108

Kenny you're a real joker aren't you???

Anyways.............

Sony has such advanced technology that it makes the ccd sensor chips for most digital camera companies including Canon!

How do you like them apples???
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:33 AM   #109

I should have provided the source for the discovery that the ISO listings for the Canon G6 are largely marketing hype (like many cameras) What has happened is that the marketing departments choose an arbitrary figure for the ISO sensitivity figures but (aside from appearing in the same order as film ISO ratings) they are not based on any standard (as film speeds are).

So where the Canon indicates ISO 50 is actually what Sony (on the V3) calls ISO100.

This was first discovered by Phil Askeyat dpreview.com. The link to the actual figures comparing the stated ISO figures for various cameras compared to REAL ISO figures is at:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv3/page12.asp

What this means is that standard exposure settings (like the Sunny 16 rule) cannot be accurately applied if the wrong ISO is given. The farther off the numbers are from reality, the less useful they are for standard photographic calculations.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:08 AM   #110

Thanks for your input Meryl. I wonder if what you say is true???? It may be!!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote