Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 26, 2004, 4:04 AM   #21

alg wrote:
Quote:
:?I dont have a preference to sony or cannon but I must say I am puzzled by the conclusion especially if I look at the comparison photos.

I exploded each of the photo to full size on separate browser windows and tried to compare with an open mind. Almost all of the time the sony v3 looks clearer and sharper
You are exactly right!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 4:35 AM   #22

I agree too. The Sony V3 is much sharper and clearer than the Canon G6. Not only in Steve's Digicams comparison photos but when I went to http://www.pbase.com I looked at all the G6 shots and they aren't very good at all. Especially the people photos. There is bad white balance. I understand some people don't know how to take photos but I looked at all the G6 photos and they just can't compete with the Sony. I'm buying the V3. I've done a lot of research and you can't deny that the V3 has way better color and sharpness.

What is with people here though? They act like it's impossible for a reviewer to be persuaded bya certain company to recommend certain manufacturers over the other. Big Business is filled with corruption. Money talks.

And I think "kski" was joking when he/she wrote "was steve on drugs". Lighten up everyone! (esp. all you canon worshipers.... You've got to put your prejudice aside and view photos. ) The proof is in the pudding!

Case closed.

Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 8:58 AM   #23

fz10_user wrote:
Quote:
Again, as I said, (and it was not personal), the review is definitely biased when the reviewer is telling you to get the "Canon" instead of the Sony. That makes it appear that they are biased to Canon, and it makes any intelligent person wonder why!![/size]
i agree.

Quote:
I think you need to look again at the comparison photos, and it's not a matter of personal taste at all. Enlarge them both and you will see that the Sony's is Sharper and has better Contrast. Put glasses on if you need to. There is a clear difference and the Sony has better image quality. There is no denying that and it doesn't matter what personal preference you have. Sharp is Sharp, is Sharp is Sharp. Look at the leaves, at the writing on the signs. The Sony is much much sharper.[/size]
that does not make any sense, it is like saying one song is better than another simply becouse it is louder...
smok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 9:52 AM   #24

The Law of Perceptual Relativity:

About 1.5768E+17 nanoseconds ago, when the Sony 640x480 Mavica FD7 was the hottest thing to hit the market, people were also looking carefully at the pictures that they were getting from their new toy. They looked closely at shots from other digital cameras AND at shots from 35mm film cameras and, can you guess what they found?:?

The shots from the Mavica's floppy disk storage were 'just as good as you would get from a film camera!' :?That was what they saw. Today, we wouldn't consider a sub-sub-megapixel image to be even close to what we would consider acceptable today.

What we think is GREAT today, will be looked at as embarassing tomorrow . So the only thing to do, is to enjoy what we have and get out there and take pictures. Forget about comparing "Who has the bigger ****?" so somebody can have bragging rights until the next big thing makes their HOT cutting edge technology as cold as yesterday's soup. :blah:

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 10:21 PM   #25

I guess I now see kski's point. Steve who has never truly been harsh or crtical of any camera including real dogs like some older Toshibas, and noisy Pentaxes and Fuji's decides to stop flip-flopping and take it out on the Sony V3! Whats up with that.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:35 PM   #26

Meryl Arbing wrote:
Quote:
We are talking about relative sharpness across the full aperture range which is something that every camera, even the Fz10 with excellent Leica glass, would experience.

Try it! Take a shot at f4 and then the same scene at the extreme end of your aperture range and then compare the two prints side by side. There will be a difference but that doesn't mean that the camera is defective.
I tried it, - my FZ10 works really fine at f8, I couldnt notice loss of sharpness.

Original image resized to 800*600

Red square has been 100% cropped and corresponds to shots taken at f4 and f8 (see the next post)

Attached Images

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:38 PM   #27

Both looks pretty similar - sharpness is the same.

f8 stop on my FZ10 works better than on the V3 and G6.

Attached Images

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 1:01 AM   #28

OK, I'm not a pro like Steve, but it sure does seem like Steve's final conclusion should have been more like... "If you are choosing between the G6 and the V3 and you want the sharpest picture possible then pick the V3, but you'll have to have to make sure the aperture is less than f8. If changing the aperture is too much trouble for you, then you can get really good shots from the G6... just not the best of the two."

By the way, where is Steve?
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 1:14 AM   #29

Well Put!!! That would have been a better conclusion.
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 1:17 AM   #30

lol, where is steve...he's probably doing one of the 4 billion things he has to do to keep this site up!

and again, sharpness out of the camera doesn't necessarily mean higher quality!

the dSLRs sometimes require a large amount of PC sharpening, but the detail in their RAW files is WAYY beyond either of these two cameras!

also, the G6's macro mode allows closer focusing than the V3, the lens is faster (f2.0 instead of f2.8)

oh yeah....flip out LCD....nuff said!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote