Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 2, 2004, 7:32 AM   #51

There is a new review @ DPReview:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv3/

ChiAlberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:10 AM   #52

stallen wrote:
Quote:
It is also clear that the V3 has less noise than the G6 at every ISO. Look at the Imatest results... http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/V3/V3IMATEST.HTM

Imatest is a computer program that generates a report. Can't possibly get a more unbiased review than that!
Actually the reverse is true: G6 has slightly lower noise than V3 at every ISO - if you plot against true ISO instead of reported ISO. See the review at dpreview linked just above.

Don't get me wrong, I love what I see in the V3 and I'm getting one for myself. Just wanted to point this out.
nicke2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 7:45 PM   #53
sdh

This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but what does everyone thinkare the chances that Sony would do a firmware update for the f8 issue? It seems like a no-brainer to me. Every review Ive read on the V3 criticizes it for using a smaller aperture too quickly. Im just a novice, but this seems like a veeeerrrrrrryyyyyy fundamental designmistake. Even if the loss of sharpnessat the smaller aperture is minute, why invokeit, if faster shutter speed would stillprovide correct exposure? Is there anybenefit to this behavior??Am I missing something? [this is slightlyrant &mostly "I want to understand"]. That said I am very keen on this camera anddefinetely want toupgrade from my first-digital w1. Having looked at both Imuch prefer the "in my hands" feel of the V3 over the G6.
-steve
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:43 AM   #54

That would be great if Sony did a firmware update. Let's all bug them and maybe they will. I'm sure if many many people complained they'd do it. When I get my V3 (which I almost got today...long story:sad, if I notice that the outdoor shots are softer because the camera has chosen and small apeture then I will email/phone them to complain definitely!! I can't wait to get it!!! The anticipation is driving me crazy!!!
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 6:04 PM   #55

I understand! I couldn't wait to get mine. I love it. It's pretty chilly here in the midwest, so my outdoor shots have been limited. (Especially since my main interest pictures of my 1 yr. old) On one very sunny day I took some outdoor shots and I got f8 about 10% of the time on Auto. Wasn't really disappointed in the quality. As a matter of fact one of the f8 photos is one I printed up on 8 x 10 to show my co-workers. They were all impressed. My Canon i960 is a pretty awesome printer... that helps.

I'm not sure if I would have noticed the f8 "issue" if I hadn't heard of it in the first review. Enjoy your new camera!!!

Oh, and as far as a firmware upgrade... good luck. Sony has released a few firmware upgrades, but to my knowledge it has always been for various operational glitches. Nothing photo quality related. I think there are some W1 users in another forum that are bugging Sony for a firmware upgrade for the W1's softness issue. I'm not sure, but I don't think they are having any luck:sad:

I wish they would!!! I think that would put an end to the V3 vs. G6 debate... for many anyway.
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 11:57 PM   #56

The V3 is fantastic!! The pictures, like all the sony's are so colorful and they're really sharp!!! I can understand your excitement!!! I was the same!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 2:28 AM   #57

Urgghhhh!! My money is still tied up on my credit card so I can't get the V3 yet!! Hopefully my funds will clear and I can get the V3. When I get it and I take photos I'll post some here for anyone who wants some samples.
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 6:09 PM   #58

Followingthis threadand every otherreference to the G6 or V3 available I'm back to the W1. It will suffice till Sony catches up to the photo quality of Canon while adding a useful time lapse feature, and wireless remote that works from in front or behind the camera. The premise that Steve made a mistake of some sort in his evaluation of the photos, I disagree. The images by the G6 are sharper and more realistic. If the G6 was put together as well as the Sony and could focus without a hassleI'd have one.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 8:52 PM   #59

I think the problem is not that one camera or the other has the better image quality. The reason why there is so much disagreement about the relative quality of the G6 and V3 is that they are really so close in quality.

Each fan sees what he wants to see. The G6 fan sees the Canon pictures as superior and the V3 fan sees the Sony pictures as superior. Neither one will ever agree with the other or even agree that there is so little difference between the two. :P

I guess the reality is that nobody has bragging rights over image quality.

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:09 PM   #60

I think each camera has their +'s and -'s. A V3 with a G6 lens would be my ideal camera.I'm waiting to see what the new model of the F828 will be!
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote