Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:57 AM   #61

I am currently in a 'discussion' :Pwith a 'gentleman' :?on another site who insists that the lenses ARE identical already and roll off the same factory line. :?

Differences in performance and specs mean nothing to him. He thinks because they 'look the same' :Oon the outside that they ARE the same on the inside.

I asked him if he would like a nice $25 Rolex watch!
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:06 AM   #62

Which lenses is he talking about? I don't understand. What are you guys arguing about?
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 4:29 AM   #63

Hi everyone

here's a macro shot taken with my Sony V3. Of course the size is reduced greatly because only 250kb are allowed on here
Attached Images

kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 4:31 AM   #64

I'll post more pics I take soon. Hopefully outdoor ones.

This camera is amazingly fast! Wow! I can't get over how fast it focuses and how fast it responds to the press of the shutter. Cool! My new toy!!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 4:34 AM   #65

Wow!!! I can just imagine what the full size looks like!!! Look at the hair on the doll!!! The sharpness and the color!!! Woe!!! What an awesome camera!!! Sony sure knows what they're doing when it comes to technology!!!!!!1
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 7:35 AM   #66

I have a few questions.

Is the Sony software as good as the Canon software?

Does the V3 provide any software that let you control the camera from a laptop?

And in RAW mode, what does the "V3 needs 10 seconds to process the image" means? Does it means that you can only take an image 10 seconds after you have taken an image in RAW format previously?
littleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:00 AM   #67

About 4 years ago...(Yes, that long ago!) when Sony came out with the first of their Zeiss lens equipped cameras...the rumor started that the lens wasn't a 'real' Zeiss lens but only had the name Zeiss. Then the rumor grew to the point where Canon and Epson digital cameras used the identical lens (and they DID look the same) in their cameras (despite the fact that they were not as sharp and had more distortions).

Even after writing to Zeiss and getting their confirmation that the lenses on Sony cameras were, in fact, 100% Zeiss, the rumors and allegations that they are not persist to this day. That a sizable percentage of Zeiss sales come from their partnership with Sony. etc etc

The stories and speculations are, of course, spread by people who do not like ANYTHING Sony and are jealous of their position in the digital camera world.

It is like the persistent rumors that the moon and stars logo for Proctor and Gamble indicate that they are all in league with Satan

http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/procter.asp

Try as they might, the rumor keeps getting passed on. It is the same as the rumor that Zeiss lenses on Sony cameras aren't 'real' Zeiss lenses.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:30 PM   #68
blr

Meryl Arbing wrote:
Quote:
It is like the persistent rumors that the moon and stars logo for Proctor and Gamble indicate that they are all in league with Satan

http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/procter.asp

Try as they might, the rumor keeps getting passed on. It is the same as the rumor that Zeiss lenses on Sony cameras aren't 'real' Zeiss lenses.
At least the Zeis lenses on cheaper Sony models (don't know about V3) are manufactured in the far east according to Zeiss specifications, same as Leica lenses found on some Panasonic cameras. In this respect one may argue that thy are not 100% original Zeiss lenses. To me theyare since they bear the Zeiss name. That said the only way to testthe optical performance and not the post processing is to use raw format and match the exposure between the two cameras (presumably V3 and G6) carefully
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 4:49 AM   #69

Come on kski, tell us your impressions about the camera (the pros a and cons).

I want to buy a camera Christmas and i'm interested in the V3. But first i want to have some things clear... For example, i know that the V3 produces better photos than the G6 if some parameters are configured well: i'm referring to the f8 aperture and the white balance.

As I'm novice in digital cameras, it's difficult to change the aperture F number and modify the white balance? Could you describe the steps (i want to have an idea of the difficulty)?

Please, i need the answer of both questions before i spend the money (a lot of money) in the camera.

PS: i'm novice, yes, but don't tell me to go for another camera...
Xenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 5:17 AM   #70

Ah, I almost forget it :G

is about the two memory slots. Can you use both memory cards at the same time? I mean, if i have a 32MB stick and a 128MB CF, i could use them as if have 160MB?

:|
Xenius is offline   Reply With Quote