Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:12 AM   #71

Seriously the colors on the V3 are amazing! You "never" have to use saturation in any editing software with this camera. It is super, super fast in taking pictures. I also found that recording in RAW or TIFF mode doesn't really take that long. I think it was reviewed as taking 10 seconds. It's ten seconds if you count really fast. I didn't really like the raw mode. I preferred the in camera processing. The Sony RAW conversion software is so -so. But this is the first time I've ever had the experience of RAW mode. TIFF seems to have a slightly better picture than the JPEG. It's very very hard to tell the difference, yet it's about 20mb a pic, and JPEG is about 3mb/pic.

The software that comes with the camera is very very ho-hum. (as usual with Sony, you'd think that when you pay an arm and a leg for their products they'd give you nice software. hmm??) I didn't see anything in the software that lets you take a picture by your computer.

Where I live, there's been cloudy, overcast day after day, so I haven't been able to take any outdoor shots with the blue skies, I'm waiting....

The Macro is very nice, as you can see from the sample I posted above.

I have a complaint though, the flash isn't very powerful. I've seen a few pics with some noise when my subject was too far out of the flash range. But if I had an external flash that would help (I will get one soon). (by the way, I am very very very picky with the pictures my cameras' take. When I've shown other people my photos where the flash was week, they didn't think there was noise, but I think you can see it.)

I still love the camera, I need to play with it more. I've seen pics at http://www.pbase.com of the Canon G6 and it has good shots and bad shots which I've come to see that all cameras with autofocus have a few not so great shots. In my opinion the Sony V3produces better colors than the Canon G6. But different people prefer different saturation levels and I've noticed different people see different things in their pictures. I still think the sony is sharper but you have to really look hard to see it. That was important to me.

Xenius:

It's sooooo easy to change the aperture. All you have to do is turn the dial to "A" and use the jog dial to choose what aperture you want. There is also a "white balance set" that you can access through the menu. It sets of the flash and adjusts the white balance appropriately for your subject. I thought that was pretty high-tech. (if you need a better description of how to do it, just ask, I'll respond again when I have more time later tonight.)

You can have the memory stick and the compact flash type 1 card in at the same time and there is a switchat the back of the camera. When your one card is full, oreven if it's not, you justpush the switch to the next card. (very simple) and you have twice the memory.

:-)Hope that helps....

Attached Images

kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:16 AM   #72

About the weak flash...I don't know of any point and shoot (film or digital) where the built-in flash wasn't weak. Fortunately, the V3 has a hotshoe and adding a more powerful flash solves the problem.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:18 AM   #73

Essentially you CAN have both memory cards installed at the same time but you have to physically switch between them with a switch on the back of the camera. So, you fill one and then switch to the other BUT, you can't copy from one to the other and, if you fill one, it won't overflow to theother card.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:23 AM   #74

to blr: We get the same things with the Zeiss/Contax film SLR lenses. There are people who insist that, since the lenses are made in Japan, they are not TRUE Zeiss lenses.

This is what we call in debating 'Victory by Definition'. They define a 'TRUE' Zeiss lens as ONLY being made in Germany therefore all the others are 'suspect'.

When Leica lenses were made here in Canada, they were still Leica lenses...and just as expensive! :-)
Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:25 AM   #75

Meryl Arbing wrote:
Quote:
About the weak flash...I don't know of any point and shoot (film or digital) where the built-in flash wasn't weak. Fortunately, the V3 has a hotshoe and adding a more powerful flash solves the problem.
Oh good it does? Cause that was the only thing that worried me. I think it's the perfect camera otherwise but I don't have an external flash yet so I couldn't test it to see if I could get a decent distance from a subject and not have noise (indoors).

Has anyone used any external flashes other than Sony's Mega Rip-Off external flash, and does it sync properly? My sister has a Vivitar flash that she's going to lend me, has anyone used a cheap flash like that in their hotshoe?
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:58 PM   #76

:-) hey, thanks a lot for your answers!!!

Like you, i prefer sharp photos and the V3 produces sharper photos than G6. I've seen photo samples at dpreview.com, dcresource.com, imaging-resource.com, steves-digicams.com and i agree with you: the colours of V3 are amazing. Well, sometimes are warm (but if white balance is easy to change, then i don't have to worry about that), while the G6 produces blue/cyan atmosphear (yes, like if i were in a phantasmagoric dream).

On the other hand, in interior photos, were the flash is used, are darker than the G6, but... in steves-review of the V3, the photo of the red emanems that uses ISO 100 looks great... so, what can you tell me about that? I mean, have you tried ISO 100 and the flash? It's necessary to buy an external flash?

And, about the memory: it's great to use both cards. I like that. :G

PS: yes, please, i want more info about white balance...

Xenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:11 PM   #77

Hi Xenius,

White balance is pretty easy to adjust too! Turn the dial to "P", "S","A","M","SCN", or MovieMode, then press "Menu" and chose"WB" and it has presets there (ie; sun, cloudy, indoor light.....). Or you can pickthe WB with a flash symbol beside it and it sets the white balance according to the flash automatically.

Prettyeasy, no? :G

About the flash, if you're within about5 feet of your subject the picture is clear, no noise but if your subject is farther away and you want a "perfect" pic then you need an external flash, in my opinion. I still don't have one, I'm going to borrow my sister's and then I can take a farther shot and really put the V3 to the test!!:idea:

Old Dec 12, 2004, 3:41 AM   #78

Anyone else have noise on their camera? or is it just v3tester's camera that is defective? I haven't read anyone else comment about noise indoors..

How about Steve? Know anything about it?
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 4:18 PM   #79

Hi kski,

As you say in your last post, is easy to change WB by selecting the defaults Daylight, Cloudy, Incandescent, etc... But, I've seen that, for example, Daylight produces a notable warm cast (e.g, the House samples in imaging-resource.com at http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/V3/V3HOUSEWBD.HTM), and, the same with Cloudy (in this url: http://users.adelphia.net/~allan.plucinik/TEST/
taken from the topic 'V3 users -> How's the auto white balance?' in the dpreview.com's Sony Talk forum). So, the questions are clear: can you confirm that? Or better, have you taken photos with Daylight (or Cloudy) mode?

Of course, one solution is to choose Auto WB and Manual but another question arises: are, then, Daylight, Cloudy, etc, useless?

On the other hand, when you SET the WB in 'One push' mode, it's saved for the next time you turn on the camera or it's lost and you have to set up again?

So, as an owner of a V3, what is your opinion?

As you can see, i still have a lot of doubts...

PS: Please, can you put some samples with Auto, Manual, Daylight, Cloudy WB?
Xenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 3:38 AM   #80

Well, since no one seems to know how to answer this noise issue, I'll answer it myself from what I've seen an heard. I've heard that an external flash will reduce it greatly and that all digital cameras in the high megapixel range have some undesirable noise, no matter what company manufactures it. The megapixels are climbing higher and they give beautiful photos but in some situations they have noise. Also, noise can be removed in software. I have this software and it worked fantastic!!

I wonder why no one else is mentioning this noise??????:shock:
v3tester is offline   Reply With Quote