Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 14, 2004, 3:36 AM   #81

Hi v3tester,

Since kski didn't answer my last post :sad: , could you give me your opinion about it?
Xenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 5:56 AM   #82

I think it's an excellent camera!! I haven't played with the white balance much yet, just the auto white balance, but I've played with everything else on it and I love it.

Why don't you buy it where you can return it if you don't like it? I don't want to tell you to buy it, in case you will be "stuck with it".

I do see some noise in far indoor shots, but I just read something interesting on a website at www.luminouslandscape.com . The pro photographer there talked about noise on high megapixel digital cameras and he said that when you view an image at full screen on a computer, it's like viewing it at 4 feet x 3 feet and that's why you see noise, but if you print it even as a 11" X 17" print, you wouldn't notice it. I would like to put that to the test. (he has been a pro photographer for 40 years, so I tend to believe what he's saying.) And I've seen others mention it too that the noise on the computer screen isn't seen on printed photographs. But don't mark my words, I haven't tried it yet. I had a 5 megapixel Sony W1 and I didn't see any noise, but also it wasn't as high resolution as this 7.2MP. So supposedly, noise is to be expected somewhat on a high megapixel camera.

Again, closer shots are amazing!!! No noise at all!!! Very true to life color! No underexposing, in my opinion!! I haven't had any sunny days to take pictures outside with, just very overcast wet days since I bought the camera. So I still need to do some testing. If I get a good day outside soon, I will post pics.

Here is another pic from my V3: ( I did not use red-eye reduction at all and it is unedited, straight from my camera as is. Also, the baby was moving, so I think it's a fantastic picture and it's true color. Look at the stripes on the shirt, you can even see the jagged edge design of the shirt, what is actually in real life)
Attached Images

v3tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 5:58 AM   #83

I wish you could see the above image of the baby in full quality, then you'd see what I'm talking about.

Anyway, here is a macro shot I took of my eye:
Attached Images

v3tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 6:27 AM   #84

Xenius wrote:
Quote:
Hi v3tester,

Since kski didn't answer my last post :sad: , could you give me your opinion about it?
Hi Xenius, sorry I didn't post sooner, but here is a picture first of a sunrise in auto mode on the V3
Attached Images

kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 6:30 AM   #85

And here it is in "Daylight" White Balance. The manual that comes with the V3 actually recommends using this mode for sunrise/sunsets and I see why...wow! Now if only I was by the beach with this beautiful sunrise seen, imagine the reflection on the water I could have got??!! Hmmm.....

This is truly a beautiful picture taking camera:
Attached Images

Old Dec 14, 2004, 6:33 AM   #86

I can't believe what a difference the Sonar lens makes in comparison to the Vario-Tessar lens on my W1. The colors are more accurate with the Sonar type lens. The results of my V3 make me want to go out and buy the F828 now, because it's 8MP and has the Sonar T lens!! We'll see.....

Old Dec 14, 2004, 6:38 AM   #87

v3tester wrote:
Quote:
Why don't you buy it where you can return it if you don't like it? I don't want to tell you to buy it, in case you will be "stuck with it".
that's indeed the problem. I prefer to buy in a physical store but, where I live, I do not know any that allows to prove the product before buying it... For that reason, I want to be sure to the 100% that I am going to make a good purchase...

And, v3tester and kski, very good photos!!!
Old Dec 14, 2004, 7:11 AM   #88

Thanks Xenius!

Are you from the U.S.A.? Or Canada? If you are, there is Best Buy, or The Sony Store, or Circuit City, or Future Shop. I think http://www.dell.com and http://www.dell.ca sells it too. If you're in Europe, I don't know....sorry.

But all the above stores, I believe, refund your money.

Here is another sunrise photo with "daylight" WB: The sun was just starting to peek out. I took this one in Manual mode but with daylight WB and f7.1 400 speed. It was too light in auto mode to capture the sunset colors.
Attached Images

Old Dec 14, 2004, 7:18 AM   #89

Here is the same image as above but I enhanced it in my software: :G
Old Dec 14, 2004, 7:40 AM   #90

v3tester, more o less i know what you are talking about when you say in some posts that there is noise...

Well, it's true that at Max resolution 3072 x 2304 appears... but

1st, i don't like to see the photos at that resolution because i don't have a monitor with such resolution (i don't know exactly how many inches it would have, maybe 35", 40", 45", i don't know).

2nd, i'm not going to print posters... Only the tipical: 5x7, 8x10 and maybe A4 or, who knows, in A3..

and 3rd. that noise which we are talking about is the reason of the sharpness of the photos when you resize them. Without it, then photos would appear soft, like the G6. It's like when you look at an oil painting: it's seems ugly if you look close to it, but if you move away and look it from a prudent distance, then the painting looks perfect...

I don't think that is a real problem because, without it, the pictures wouldn't be the same (in that case, the photos would be softer like the G6).

hi kski. I'm from Valencia (Spain)... i was lying when i said that there aren't shops... I know some, but they don't sell the V3