Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 4, 2004, 6:24 PM   #11

Just wanted to let people know that nice samples of video are availabe (courtesy of MikeD in a dpreview forum) at:

Movie Clip (8 mb file):

http://homepage.mac.com/miked916/m1/mov/M4V00011.MP4

and

Sample 2: Plusing Xenia Coral with Cleaner shrimp (about 5megs)

http://homepage.mac.com/miked916/m1/mov/M4V00012.MP4
dseps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 6:26 PM   #12

A question I placed at dpreview. Would appreciate any answers:

When a "hybrid" movie/photo/movie is taken with the DSC-M1, is it possible to extract the photo from the movie/photo/movie and print or manipulate it as a separate jpg? Or is it imbedded somehow and unextractable?

Also, can one set the quality of the photo for hybrid mode or is it simply inherited from the default for photo mode?
Thanks!

Dan
Old Dec 4, 2004, 8:13 PM   #13

Dan -

Taking a picture in hybrid mode results in a movie clip with the before and after video sandwiching the still image and a separate still image which can be manipulated like any jpeg. Only the lowest video setting ispossible in hybrid mode(320x480 15fps) and keeping it inthis mode drains the battery quickly, so I haven't used it much.

I don't think it's possible to set the photo quality independent of the regular mode, whatever you've set for taking regular picturesis used for the hybrids.
bigduke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 8:20 PM   #14

Saronian -

Have you been experiencing erratic behavior from the infolithium battery time remaining indicator? The time remaining shown on mine jumps around quite a bit, if I turn it on and off itsometimes gains or loses 10 minutes or more. The infolithium indicator on my DSC717 is very accurate and steady so this is a little disconcerting.

Thanks for any help
Old Dec 5, 2004, 12:52 AM   #15

Wow! Dseps, the color is so vibrant and it's sharp!! Cool! I'm impressed!!!

Could you upload any other videos that are not through glass?

I also was wondering, you know how camcorders are measured by "lux" meaning how low light conditions can you be in. Many camcorders are 1 lux. Is there anywhere where we can see how many lux this is rated as?

Could you please upload a video indoors, not through glass so we can see how clear it really is?

I'm so tempted to get this instead of the other camera I was going to buy.

How many minutes of high quality video would a 512mb pro duo card hold?

Thanks!!!

And thank you too bigduke6, your video was about 1/10th of a second though, unless I did something wrong.??

kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 1:25 AM   #16

So far I've only charged the battery, an InfoLITHIUM NP-FT1, twice so I don't have a good grasp of the capabilities. The remaining time does seem to vary quite a bit, but it may be mode dependent. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if there's any consistency.
saronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 1:43 AM   #17

Thanks bigduke6!

I just figured it out and you are right. I also just bought the DSC-M1 from b&h and the hybrid mode works as you described. What is strange though is on playback, the jpg photo displayed is not the one saved (say, 5MP) but a very low quality still frame from the mpeg4! I don't understand why they implement it this way. To some extent it defies the objective of capturing the "mood" in medium quality before and after the snapshot. After all, the photo is there, and has been saved along with the mpe4 before/after clip.

Kski, those are not my videos but from someone on the dpreview board. I thought people over here would appreciate them also. About the lux, I have no idea.

The #minutes for a 640x480 30fs that fit on a 512MB pro duo card is about 22, I think. The details are spelled out in the manual, and in Steve's review of the DSC-M1, no?

Saronian, the battery life varies by camera mode. Are you sure you have a problem? I also bought the generic battery suggested by B&H as a backup and have been only using it with not problems so far evident.

Dan
Old Dec 5, 2004, 11:05 AM   #18

The battery time does vary by rec/play mode, I don't think there's anything wrong with my camera.

With a fully charged battery, these were the estimated times shown on the display:

Play = 126 minutes
Record = 83 minutes
Record Hybrid = 61 miutes
saronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 11:54 AM   #19

videos are not bad... can see the compression artefacts tho (normal)... cool stereo sound and excellent how u can zoom in/out

EDIT: can definitely notice some sort of internal noise throughout the video and mechanical sound when zooming.
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 3:47 PM   #20

I called Sony tech support about my problem with an erratic time remaining indicator. They had me take the battery and MS out and press the reset button for 20 seconds followed by pressing the power button for 20 seconds. This seems to have taken care of the problem.

I really love this camera, my S400 is going on ebay tonight.