Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 21, 2004, 8:34 PM   #31

I noticed that the M1's flash has a range from 0.3M to 1.5M. I wonderif it is problem of taking photo indoor with flash. Is it possible to post some photos (with or without flash)taken using M1 please. Thanks in advance.
vector930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 1:57 PM   #32

I got my M1 yesterday and started tinkering with it today. First, I'm reasonably impressed with the video. I used Nero to burn a DVD with the resultant .mp4 video which I just took off the stick using my card reader. I haven't really tested out the flash yet. All of my shots have been inside though in reasonably well lit rooms. So far I'm disappointed in the shot to shot time which seems to be several seconds and the quality of the shots. Most of my shots are blurred. I hope I can fix that with a camera setting. Otherwise, I shipping it back.
charman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 6:28 PM   #33
Administrator

charman123 wrote:
Quote:
I haven't really tested out the flash yet. All of my shots have been inside though in reasonably well lit rooms. So far I'm disappointed in the shot to shot time which seems to be several seconds and the quality of the shots. Most of my shots are blurred. I hope I can fix that with a camera setting. Otherwise, I shipping it back.

Typical lightingindoors is much lower than it appears to the human eye. If you don't use a flash or tripod indoors with the vast majority of compact digital cameras, you'll get blurry photos (because the shutter speeds needed for proper exposure will be too slow without a flash).

You can set ISO speed to a higher value to get faster shutter speeds (to a point). Each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast. However, this will add noise to your photos, and your shutter speeds may still not be fast enough to prevent motion blur in typical indoor lighting, depending on how steady you can hold a camera, and how much zoom you use (motion blur from camera shake is magnified as more zoom is used, and less light can reach the sensor through the lens with most models when using zoom).

If you need to take photos indoors without a flash or tripod, you'll need a model with a brighter lens, capable of shooting at higher ISO speeds with lowernoise. A DSLR with a brightlens is the recommended solution (although you may be able to get by with something like a used Canon G3 or Sony DSC-F717, if you don't need viewing/print sizes that are too large and use software to reduce the noise from shooting at higher ISO speeds). If your subjects are not moving, you may also be able to get by with a model that has a stabilized lens.

In other words,if you want a small camera, you'll need to use a flash or tripod indoors. You can try increasing ISO speed instead (but youmay not like the quality of the photos). If you want to try this (increasing ISO speed), a popular tool to reduce noise is Noiseware, available from http://www.imagenomic.com
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:56 PM   #34

Just got my M1 in today...have to get through the manual a few (hundred) times and then I'll be ready to go...

I bought an additional battery (Sony knockoff) and a Sandisk duo pro 512 card...compatible...

I'm excited to get going and anticipate getting some good pics...I'll post some if I can figure out how to use the darn thing...I think you need a PhD to figure out this camera....hmmm...many more features as opposed to my Kodak 6440...it's a much more powerful (and smaller) camera.

I don't see anything else on the market even close in regards to capabilities...

Headless
the-headless_horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 3:44 PM   #35

charman123 wrote:
Quote:
So far I'm disappointed in the shot to shot time which seems to be several seconds and the quality of the shots. Most of my shots are blurred. I hope I can fix that with a camera setting. Otherwise, I shipping it back.
If you turn off "Auto Review Mode" in the Setup menu you'll get instant shot-to-shot times for most photos. With flash there is recycling time to consider and with slow shutter speed exposures the NR (Noise Reduction processing) will cause a slight delay.
saronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 3:48 PM   #36

the-headless_horseman wrote:
Quote:
Just got my M1 in today...have to get through the manual a few (hundred) times and then I'll be ready to go...

I bought an additional battery (Sony knockoff) and a Sandisk duo pro 512 card...compatible...

I'm excited to get going and anticipate getting some good pics...I'll post some if I can figure out how to use the darn thing...

Headless
Look forward to seeing images from your new camera. Let us know if the SanDisk Pro Duo seems fast enough for the camera. Assuming it's not a SanDisk Ultra II.

Enjoy the M1
saronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 4:43 AM   #37

Hi,

I purchased a DSC M1 approx a month ago and so far have been very impressed. I used to own a Fujifinepix M603 which until the M1 appeared was the best digiital camera for movie. I have noticedthat exposure in movie mode in indoors or subdued lighting isn't to good especiallywhenI zoom inwhen the subject becomesdarker the closer I zoom in,my Fuji was better. I also noticed in movie mode that the end product is smoothwhen in automatic modeyet when I select any other manual mode the end product is jirky though exposure improves, again my Fuji was better. How doyou M1 ownersfind these functions on your M1? Don't get me wrong I love the camera but am wondering if these issues with movie mode are the same on all M1's, I live in the UK and I don't know anyone else with an M1 to compare results.I spoketo Sony Uk who didn't know the M1 even existed(can you believe that) they had to surf the net to find it on the Sony main website whilst I was talking to them.
redimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 1:15 PM   #38

Redimp,

I don't have video problems indoors...I am using the middle quality video...as long as there is some light, you should be fine...zooming in and out will undoubtedly create a few seconds of 'lag' on exposure quality...I don't find it to be a problem though...and I'm not even using the highest quality video...you may be able to raise up the exposure (EV) (go from 0 to +.3, .7, 1.0, etc...up to +2.0)...this should lighten things up...I haven't tried this with video yet, but if you can do it, it will lighten things up...as far as zooming and getting darker, this makes sense as you're decreasing exposure to light...

The only problem I see with the video is the pixelation outdoors with movement...then again, I was aiming almost at the sun, so the rays are the reason...again, this with middle quality video...I'm still quite impressed...afterall, look at the size of this thing!

As far as picture quality, I don't have a problem yet...magnifying glass mode incredible...using red eye redux...no problems with photos I'd say 6 feet and under...don't know many people who take pics of people from 30 feet away anyway...

Battery seems to be fine...I have an extra after-market one...it's charging now...no problem...sound quality excellent...volume control too! Timer function useful...

Hybrid mode kicks butt! You end up getting a 5 sec. clip before the photo button is depressed for the picture...so, the camera is ALWAYS recording the previous 5 seconds and you don't even know it...very cool...oh yeah, 3 seconds of video following picture...what a cool function...also available is straight 5 second movie clip...

512 Sandisk duo pro (not listed as high speed) more than sufficient for the job...gives you over an hour of video at medium quality....(again, more than this I'm not convinced I need right now)...

Menus easy to follow and play with...camera seems pretty durable...what a great job Sony did with this camera!

Headless
Old Dec 26, 2004, 7:06 PM   #39

Thx for the reply, in movie mode if I select anything other than auto I find when I actual move my camera sideways during taking a movie the end product is jerky, it's fine when I hold the camera still or use auto mode.

Re the exposure issue, it seems that as I zoom in light entry via the lens is reduced due to the lens mechanism being confined within the camera as opposed to extending out from the camera, as I zoom out out again more light enters the lens and the movie brightens improving movie quality.
redimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:29 PM   #40

With movie mode, there is no 'stabilization' function, so you have to make movements slowly...just be aware of that...don't forget, with Sony Camcorders, the still picture quality is only about 1 meg...so, you're getting the best camera quality with about 75% video quality...still well worth it in such a tiny package...

I'm impressed with the thing! It's really cool!

You can also zoom in while in video mode, something you cannot do with most other camera videos...this is a nice function...better with lots of light, of course...again, playing with exposure will fix darker settings...

As far as pic. quality...I'm finding it's excellent...invest in a 512 or 1 gig duo pro high speed, if you can find one...you really don't need high speed though...

Headless