Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:24 AM   #41

Can someone explain pro/hs for me please. The lady at best buys told me the pro was high speed :-? Im looking to get either two 512 or one 1gigmemory stick duo for my M1. I saw some duomemory that didnt say pro but said High Speed :-?
indoinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:03 PM   #42

I got my M1 a couple of days ago. As far as I'm concerned this camera has issues with dimly lit areas in the video mode. I've been fairly impressed with the photos in various settings and the videos have been good too, but only in well lit settings.
I've been keeping up with these discussions and have tried using the twightlight and night landscape modes, I've tried putting the EV setting all the way up to +2.0, messing with the white balance, etc. and non of these seem to make a real difference. Ok, maybe a bit of difference, bit things become much choppier.
This probably sounds silly at first but I'm even considering getting a DSC-V3 instead in my search for the camera with the best video capabilities. While the MPEG-VX of the V3 doesn't get its 640x480 (30fps) with nearly as low a bitrate, and it can't zoom while recording, the larger lens is sure to cope with low light more adequately. Additionally, it has a nightshot mode (infared) for real darkness. The filesize and bitrate benefits of the M1 are nice (and it is a beautiful little thing, isn't it...), but greater versatility with light settings seems most important.
What do you all think? Have you had the same issues with the M1 in dimly lit settings?
cdnyc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:01 AM   #43

cdny,

I understand you have some frustration with the lighting...I don't concern myself with it being the camera has incredible capabilities...you can't compare this camera/video with a full camcorder...I have a Sony high-end camcorder and of course, there is no comparison...but, on my next trip, instead of lugging a video and a still camera, the M1 is my choice, by far!

The video mode is more than adequate...but, of course, your lighting has to be sufficient...this is the only short-coming...I have taken video in low light situations and although not 100% happy, I'm still impressed with the quality of the video.

You can correct photos in dim light by switching off auto mode, switching off multi-spot, putting on red-eye redux, increasing flash strength, and adjusting the ISO...this corrects most low light problems...

Video is a little more particular!

Headless
the-headless_horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:03 AM   #44

indo,

Your first mistake wasasking someone at best buy! Go to ebay and buy 512 mb duo pro SanDisk memory...you'llpay about 70.00 and it'll do the trick just fine. There is a high speed version, but the M1 supposedly doesn't even support the high speed! (yeah, as per Sony!)...

The price of the 1 gig pro duo is more expensive than2 512s put together!

Headless
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:04 PM   #45

Why wouldn't you consider getting the V3 for your camera/camcorder combo??
cdnyc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 3:31 AM   #46

cdny,

You cannot put the V3 in the same category with the M1 with movie quality...it's like comparing apples and oranges...mpeg1 with mpeg4...no longera fair comparison...

As far as picture quality, the V3 has the M1 beat...but for 99.9% of us, 5 megapixel is good enough...I certainly don't need 7...

Thesize and capability of the M1 is quite impressive...and the darn thing is so small!...the V3 is a bit on the bigger side! Still a great camera though!

Headless
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:16 PM   #47

I've had the M1 for two weeks now, andam very impressed with both video and stills. i've been particularly impressed with the stills in low light using the flash. For me, at least, exposure and sharpness have been spot on.

Strangely, no one has discussed the software side of things. I am very disappointed with the included software. I want to be able to edit my mpeg4 movies. Though I am impressedwith the M1, I am seriously considering returning it for the new Minolta A200 which has very impressive movie mode capabilities (though not mpeg4) and it includes Ulead VideoStudio 8 for full editing of its movies. I understand Quicktime Pro allows you to trim mpeg4 movies at front and end, but not much more than this. I also understand that Ulead VideoStudio 8 has an mpeg4 plug in for $30. Has anyone tried this software with this plug-in with their M1 movies? I'm reluctant to buy the software and the mpeg4 plug-in if it isn't going to work with the movies from the M1. I read somewhere that it doesn't. Anyone with experience in this department care to comment?
JeremyEynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 3:39 AM   #48

Jeremy,

No need to return your camera...download 'mpegable' from the mpegable website...this is a stand alone software or has a 'plug in' for media player...it works quite well...

Nero software also handles Mpeg4 without a hitch...unsure about editing...haven't tried that as of yet...

As far as powerfull editing software, you may have to wait a bit. Mpeg4 is new and most current softwares do not yet handle it...give it some time, we'll be fine...

Headless
Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:51 AM   #49

Although the software from sonyis limited, you can go and get STOIK Video converter 2 and convert the video to anything you wish and edit it from there. It's a free program and works well:idea:.
dan791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:12 PM   #50

Just got mine yesterday. Its a japanese model. Bought it from goldenprice on pricegrabber.com. There was no manufactuer seal so I hope its not a refurb; anyone know how I can check that?

My M-1 also gets warm on the front side after extensive use (constantly taking pics); does anyone else get that?:|
masuyo is offline   Reply With Quote