Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 3, 2005, 12:03 AM   #51

My M1 gets a bit hot with lots of use...not a big deal though..your unit should be sticker sealed when you get it...hmmmm...why Japanese model? They have them here in the states...

Headless
the-headless_horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:53 PM   #52

The US Model is made in China, and it was selling for $509.
masuyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:55 PM   #53

That's not true...the U.S. model is made in Japan...and comes in a sticker sealed box...

Headless
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:59 PM   #54

hey...im looking for the same camera/video combo as everyone else and so far im pretty impressed with the canon s1ie and the sony m1...sony makes a bunch of different cameras that have vga quality movie modebut the M1 is the only one i have found that is in mpeg4. The draw back (for me) to this camera is it doesnt have a marine case. so what im interested in knowing is - is the mpeg4 format that much better than the older avi format that its worth getting over another camera that has a marine case?
sduser5025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:16 PM   #55

I think the mpeg4 is vastly superior...as far as a marine case...contact Sony and see what the plans are for that...

This camera is small with tons of features...it does a really great job overall...I looked at Olympus, Pentax, Canon, etc...this one stacked up best for the features, size, and Sony quality!

Headless
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:35 AM   #56

Just wondering - is it possible to play back mp4's which weren't recorded on the M1, on the M1?
If so i'll get another battery when my M1 arrives and use it as a media player when i'm on the train!
qpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:10 PM   #57

That's a great questionl....I have no idea! However, mpeg4 is a format, and if a video supports a particular format, then it should work...

Like mpeg1...virtually anything that can support mpeg1 can play the media as long as it's on the proper memory...

I'd be suprised if it didn't work..

BTW, you should have an extra battery anyway (would get a radio shack or other brand as they're cheaper and the same!)...since the batteries are proprietary, it's always smart to have an extra one, all charged up and ready to go!

Headless
Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:41 AM   #58

Cool- thanks for your advice!
I can get a genuine sony battery for just £18 (inc shipping from hong kong) on ebay, which is a pretty good deal. Or i could get a non sony one for about half that, but £18 is very cheap so i think i'll get a genuine sony (as we don't have a radio shack in the UK - at least not to my knowledge!).

I absolutely love the camera - received it yesterday! Slightly miffed as to why you can't film when its not folded open though - i would have thought they would have at least given us the option!
qpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:06 PM   #59

Anyoneknows how the M1 compares to the Sanyo Xacti C4?
nimerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:31 PM   #60

So far I only had digital camera's from Olympus or Canon, but I am really interested in the MPEG4 mode of the DSC-M1. As I don't have any experience with Sony's memory stick's, can anybody explain the difference between:

Memory Stick "PRO" and Memory Stick "Pro Duo"

Do I need a Memory Stick "Pro Duo" or would I get along with a Memory Stick "PRO" for usage in the DSC-M1?

Thanks for the help in advance.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote