Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:57 PM   #61
Administrator

zebra wrote:
Quote:
As I don't have any experience with Sony's memory stick's, can anybody explain the difference between:

Memory Stick "PRO" and Memory Stick "Pro Duo"

Do I need a Memory Stick "Pro Duo" or would I get along with a Memory Stick "PRO" for usage in the DSC-M1?
Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick Pro Duo are smaller physical sizes compared to Memory Stick Pro.

The M1 can only use the smaller Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick Duo Pro Media (Memory Stick Pro is too large to fit in it).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:30 PM   #62

Thanks for the quick answer, one more thing though ...

The difference between "Duo" and "Duo Pro" is the writing speed?
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:13 PM   #63

Hi all, just got my M1 today great cam. Does anyone know of any good editing software for it? MPEG4 is very difficult to find, just need to do simple things like cut and add music

Thanks if you can help

Frankie2105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 1:12 PM   #64

qpan wrote:
Quote:
Cool- thanks for your advice!
I can get a genuine sony battery for just £18 (inc shipping from hong kong) on ebay, which is a pretty good deal. Or i could get a non sony one for about half that, but £18 is very cheap so i think i'll get a genuine sony (as we don't have a radio shack in the UK - at least not to my knowledge!).

I absolutely love the camera - received it yesterday! Slightly miffed as to why you can't film when its not folded open though - i would have thought they would have at least given us the option!
Um... are you sure of that price? I am in Hong Kong and got the M1 today from the cheapest place in the entire former colony(HK$3880 - normal street price in HK is HK$4600 or so). I asked the guy for an extra battery and he told me an official Sony battery costs HK$340 (23 pounds) or a 3rd party one at HK$150 (10 pounds 27p). I ended up buying the cheaper version cos I'm a cheapskate.

The 18 quid you saw from HK.. I am almost sure it's a 3rd party and not official Sony. Unless the guy is making a loss or passing off stolen goods, I really cannot see how he can break even unless he is a distro and has bulk purchase for 100million batteries.
Odie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 10:00 AM   #65

Hi,

I'm Italian and I'm interested to buy the M1 from USA.

Unfortunally in europe this model there isn't so I'm looking for it would be possible to buy the camera from USA, but the problem is the power supply/battery charger and for the manual(it's less important to have an italian manual).

I would like to know if the power supply is 110 and 220 V, or if I can adapt to be 220V.

The manual and the drivers and of course the menu is also in italian language?

I've never seen the camera on live, and if I can't but this model I would buy the dsc-w1(because I can't see very welland the LCD screen must be 2.5"), is it the same size?

Thanks a lot

Andrea

telecomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:10 PM   #66

I kid thee not!
Check it out here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...868825416&rd=1
And the seller does indeed sell genuine sony batteries.
qpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:06 PM   #67

I got an even better offer here in Malaysia. THey offered me 3 options, 1st opt. comes with 128M MSD @RM1905, 2nd opt. comes with 256MSD @RM1950, 3rd opt. comes with 512M MSD @RM2200. I took the 3rd option. It seems like i've the best deal.:-)
chtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:52 PM   #68

ok I think it's me... somehow I just cannot get any picture not to blur when I look at it on a computer. On the small TFT screen it looks ok but when I view it on my PC (the image is 5M sharp - highest setting), I can see some shaking.

I have the speed set to AUTO and I did depress the photo button half way for it to focus before pressing it all in.

So.... how do you get a perfect sharp picture? Someone here who has one (I'm sure a lot of you have), please give me your settings.

Also does the M1 have an anti-shock thing menu found on the Sony DV Cams? Because I did see a hand symbol that resembles it when the green focus light came on.

Update : I tried it with AUTO and PROGRAM with various different settings... all pictures are blurred...... What am I doing wrong? surely it's impossible for the hand not to shake a bit but even I can get a perfect picture with my PC110-e DVCam 1M photo and thats not even a digicam.

Note that I don't want flash (I know this is a problem with low lighting but having flash set in an arcade when people are playing in front of monitors i'll get killed) so is there a way to still take a clear picture? I can do it with my PC-110e DVCam so surely there should be a particular setup under program mode that can do it???
Odie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:21 PM   #69

Odie,

Well I have experienced the same problem with low light/no flash situations.

The problem is, the shutter speed usually sets itself to 1/8 second (or 8 on the display) in these situations and you can't adjust the shutter speed manually... So you have to "trick" the camera.

If you put it in program mode, display screen on, EV at 2.0 and ISO 400, set your focus to the center one (spot?), now here is the trick... you need to focus the camera on something bright until the shutter speed sets itself to 1/30 or less, keep it half way push, aim at subject, take picture.

Does this make sense? Yes it is a pain to do, but can work. Unfortunately you make get grainy pics and if the bright source is not in the same focus distance, you will have to manually set the focus to infinity or another distance or will still get blurry pics.

Let me know if this works for you. Eric.
edl1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 7:50 PM   #70

anybody ever used the dsc m-1 as a movie/video player? it is possible with a program used to convert video for playback thru the memory sticks on the psp. the program is called PSP Video 9. try it it works. sorry if this has been mentioned, just giddy i finally figured out how to do it. BTW PSP Video 9 is FREE!!!
arbyn is offline   Reply With Quote