Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:11 PM   #1

Just receivedmy new DSC-M1 from SonyStyle yesterday.

It's a tad larger than I expected based on the reviews but still pocketable. The form factor is unique and people will probably either love it or hate it. I like it because it allows you to use it at waist level where you can hold it very steady and it's less obvious so you can get candid shots.

The videos are definitely better than anything I've ever seen from a still camera, not the same quality you would get from a camcorder of course. I was slightly disappointed but I probably had unrealistic expectations since I've been waiting for this camera so long.

Stills seem comparable to what I get from my Canon S400.

The battery is very small and looks like it will only last about 80 minutes when fully charged.

My biggest disappointment is that I could only open the videos using Quicktime. Quicktime flashes a message advising the video "profile" isn't supported but then it plays them with no problem. I was hoping to be able to use Windows Moviemaker to edit the video clips but it doesn't support the MPEG4 format used by the M1. I bought Quicktime Pro which has some editing capabilities that I'm just starting to explore.

I'm no expert but this seems to be the best available compromise right now for somebody who wants a combination camcorder and 5 megapixel camera. If videos are more important to you than still pictures stick with a camcorder. If you're willing to compromise slightly on the video quality in exchange for the ability to take nice 5mp stills then check out the M1.
bigduke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:47 AM   #2

bigduke6 wrote:
Quote:
The videos are definitely better than anything I've ever seen from a still camera, not the same quality you would get from a camcorder of course. I was slightly disappointed but I probably had unrealistic expectations since I've been waiting for this camera so long.
wanna post some samples? i'd love to hear the stereo mic performance!

Quote:
Stills seem comparable to what I get from my Canon S400.
i'd really like to see sample pics from this camera. it uses the same lens as the T1/T11/T3 and they aren't known to produce the greatest images...
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:31 PM   #3

Attached is a sample movie, it doesn't show off the steroe sound which is a nice feature but it gives an idea of the resolution. You'll notice that wind noise is a problem. It's in Quicktime format because I cut down a larger clip with Quicktime Pro and it was saved in this format, but the quality is the same as the original.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 6:35 AM   #4

bigduke6 wrote:
Quote:
Attached is a sample movie, it doesn't show off the steroe sound which is a nice feature but it gives an idea of the resolution.
where? :?
Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:27 AM   #5

Come on bigduke6 where is the video clip? We are all dying to see the quality.

Is their any pixelation in the video?

How did you manage to get the camera when no one says they are shipping before Dec 12 in the US or Can? Where are you?
Fred Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 7:46 PM   #6

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to upload a movie either because the files are too large orthe.MP4 files aren't supported by the message board, not sure which. If anyone is interested I can either email them a short clip (about 1mb) or I could upload them if somebody has server space available.

These cameras are available now from Sony's website (www.sonystyle.com). Initial reports were that they wouldn't be available for the US market until mid-December. I checked the website right before Thanksgiving and it indicated they were available for immediate shipping and I had one the next day.

The more I experiment with this camera and watch the videos the more impressed I am. They are quite watchable on a television, about what you would get from a low-end camcorder I guess.

Mine has a problem with the battery discharging even when it's not being used, I'm calling Sony tomorrow about it, probably a bad battery. I'm definitely keeping the camera though and selling my S400.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:22 PM   #7

bigduke6
Thanks for the offer to upload a clip. I can see now why you had a problem with the file extension. It says that you can upload a zip file so why don't you give that a try. I am dying to order on of these but will not do so untill I see some video. Is their any pixilation in the video? Jittery?

Would be interested in any other thoughts that you had on the camera.

Thanks,
Fred Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:13 AM   #8

Hopefully this zip file will upload. The clip is ridiculously short because of the 244kb limit but it gives you an idea of the resolution. It's in Quicktime format, not the original MPEG4,becauseI used Quicktime Pro to trim the original clip and it saved the result in Quicktime. The qualityis almost identical to the MPEG4 straight out of the camera.

Initially I was a little disappointed in the video quality but then I realized it was more due to the limitations of my computer and monitor then the camera. The video is actually quite good. In my opinion this is the forst practical solid state camcorder, something I've been waiting for a long time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip santa6.zip (138.0 KB, 319 views)
Old Dec 3, 2004, 8:16 AM   #9

you can upload upto 1gig at www.yousendit.com

it'll only lasts 7 days or 25 downloads, whichever comes first.

try uploading there and posting the link.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:26 PM   #10

I also received my DSC-M1 this week but haven't had much time to test it out. It was ordered from B&H Photo/Video on Monday and I got it on Wednesday. Paid $540+$22 2-day UPS.

It is a beautiful camera and so far matches my expectations. The MPEG4 video is outstanding, I will try and post some this weekend. Audio is fixed at 16bit/24KHz (mpeg4 with compression unspecified)

LCD is also outstanding.
saronian is offline   Reply With Quote