Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 2, 2004, 9:52 AM   #1

See conclusion of Canon G6. DPReview calls the Sony the "pick of the bunch".
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:36 AM   #2

Well, not to overstate the case, his points ratings were identical for the V3 and the G6 on each category and BOTH were given "Highly recommended" ratings.

The only winners have to be the users when cameras this good are being produced for a reasonable amount of money.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:15 PM   #3

This is from the review:

"Image quality wise it's perhaps a fraction behind the Canon PowerShot G6, only because the G6 has a better lens and a more sophisticated sharpening algorithm. The DSC-V3 can leave some relatively strong halo sharpening artifacts on certain types of images, dropping the sharpening down a level can help but you may then lose some detail."

Not sure I would say he rates the V3 over the G6.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:42 PM   #4

I think that all along the problem has been that the two cameras (the G6 and the V3) are so similar that any preference of one over the other ends up being a judgement call. Some people like one and some like the other but there isn't a clear 'winner'. Nor does there HAVE to be a 'winner'.

Lets let the Canon people feel happy with their purchase and enjoy the pictures they take and let the Sony people do the same.

We can call it a draw!
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:10 PM   #5

slipe wrote:
Quote:
This is from the review:

Not sure I would say he rates the V3 over the G6.
Here is what DPReviews says. I sugest you actually read the whole review.

Cameras which performed well were the Cano PowerShot G6 (although its resolution chart result wasn't as good as the Sony or Olympus), the Olympus C-7000 Z and the Sony DSC-V3 (although with prior knowledge of the F8 issue).

The G6 isn't quite perfect but the curious thing about this camera is that despite the fact that it doesn't perform as well as the Sony DSC-V3 (our pick of the bunch) it does have the ability to win your favor by delivering consistently good images and drawing you into the photographic process more than you get from some other cameras.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:33 PM   #6

By performance I think he is talking about focus and cycle speeds. The V3 is indeed very fast. I had read all 5 reviews and had felt he was talking about the V3 being the pick of the litter in performance. It would be hard to consider the camera with lower optical quality to be the better camera.

In balance I would personally take the speed of the V3 over the very small optical improvement of the G6. But I don't think Phil was saying it is a better camera.

You do have to deal with the aperture. Jeff at DCRP had rated it low until someone pointed out you have to override the program aperture to get good resolution.

I wish they had kept the form factor of the V1 with the largest LCD they could squeeze in. I need something to carry everywhere and the V3 is a little large for me. Still more portable than the G6.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:50 AM   #7

I think the guy at dpreview was smoking something when he wrote the last part of the review. The V3 images are clearly better and shaper than the canon and it is the canon that is lagging behind the SOny. Sony is the clear winner! It's funny how at the end some reviewers still try to push the canon. It's like they're hypocrites. Their own tests prove the Sony is way better than the Canon and then they turn around and claim the canon is the best choice. Who says the canon lens is better than the Sony's? I highly doubt it! The pictures show the clear winner is the Sony, not to mention how fast it is!! It's my "pick of the bunch" too!:G
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:43 AM   #8

Amen, I loved the fit of the CV1,and would have preferred the CV3 be a CV1 with greater megapixels and the 2.5 inch screen as I my eyes simply struggle too much with the sub-2 inch screens. Actually, what I would like to see as a dream combo would be the 7mp chip in the 828. Goodbye CA!

I waffled heavily between the the CV3, P150, and the G6. Initially went for the P150, but honestly, it was too much workfor hit/miss quality pics. It went back and I got theW1, which I find is a fabulous all around camera. When I want complicated, I can pull out my D-SLR. Otherwise, I need something with me all the time that is easy to carry and always ready to go. It took me 2 weeks and about 600 shots to truly get comfortable with the W1(i.e. relegate picture taking to the sublimal, no-think zone).

Here is some quick takes of what I found during the process-

1> Forget the auto mode on the latest batch of Sony camera's- too soft too often. I find the program mode with center--focus to work 98% of the time.

2> If you want the option of quality video, it's Sony over Canon, end discussion. This was a great move on Sony's part to help themsell the Mem-pro's. It will spoil you.

3> If you like a swivel mount for the LCD, it's the Canon G's, no competition.

4> If you want underwater, it's the P150, if you want to stay under $1000.

5> The default sharpness setting on the W1 results in really nice people shots. You can crank up the sharpness on the camera, and it will look almost identical to the unsharp mask results in Photoshop.

6> In the beginning, you have to spend the money for something. As a backup camera, neither the G6 or the CV3 are small enough, nor are the worth 8 bills(you have to include sales tax and warranty). My W1 with 3 years extra warranty and taxes still came in under $400, with a one-day special that provided a bonus 128mb mem-stick. As a backup, do-it-all for my Rebel, you can't go wrong. Once you learn your camera, they all do something good and something bad. You just have to find the right match for you.

Jpmashie is offline   Reply With Quote